Re: Window content not refreshed properly

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 25, 2012
      Hi yerv000!

      On Mo, 24 Dez 2012, yerv000 wrote:

      > I have tested under Linux Mint 13 and 14 (MATE desktop) and have the same problem. Under Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon the problem is not there. Checked the source where the problem first started and the changes are below. It looks like the function argument removal is having a side effect.
      >
      > Log message
      >
      > updated for version 7.3.738
      > Problem: Unused function argument.
      > Solution: Remove it. (Christian Brabandt)
      >
      > http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/detail?r=eccae034465b9a44aa2389039ba06b25dc6ae7dc&name=v7-3-738

      I can't reproduce your example and I can't imagine how above commit can
      cause this (cause it only removes a function argument, but does not
      change any code logic)

      Does this only happen on MATE?

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      Wenn man nicht glaubt, braucht man eine Bestätigung. Wenn man glaubt,
      braucht man keine Bestätigung mehr.

    • yerv000
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 25, 2012
        Hi Christian,

        Thanks for looking into this. I can only reproduce the issue on Linux Mint MATE. I tested Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and it behaves correctly.

        I noticed I pasted the wrong diff, the correct one is below. Hopefully it makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion.

        http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/detail?r=c0256c4bd91ed7b806aab002e4a45e440dd00343&name=v7-3-638

        5332 5332 && (ScreenLinesUC[off_from] != ScreenLinesUC[off_to]
        5333 5333 || (ScreenLinesUC[off_from] != 0
        5334 5334 && comp_char_differs(off_from, off_to))
        5335 - || (cols > 1 && ScreenLines[off_from + 1]
        5336 - != ScreenLines[off_to + 1])))
        5335 + || ((*mb_off2cells)(off_from, off_from + cols) > 1
        5336 + && ScreenLines[off_from + 1]
        5337 + != ScreenLines[off_to + 1])))
        5337 5338 #endif
        5338 5339 ))
        5339 5340 return TRUE;

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 26, 2012
          Hi yerv000!

          On Di, 25 Dez 2012, yerv000 wrote:

          > Hi Christian,
          >
          > Thanks for looking into this. I can only reproduce the issue on Linux Mint MATE. I tested Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and it behaves correctly.
          >
          > I noticed I pasted the wrong diff, the correct one is below. Hopefully it makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion.
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/detail?r=c0256c4bd91ed7b806aab002e4a45e440dd00343&name=v7-3-638
          >
          > 5332 5332 && (ScreenLinesUC[off_from] != ScreenLinesUC[off_to]
          > 5333 5333 || (ScreenLinesUC[off_from] != 0
          > 5334 5334 && comp_char_differs(off_from, off_to))
          > 5335 - || (cols > 1 && ScreenLines[off_from + 1]
          > 5336 - != ScreenLines[off_to + 1])))
          > 5335 + || ((*mb_off2cells)(off_from, off_from + cols) > 1
          > 5336 + && ScreenLines[off_from + 1]
          > 5337 + != ScreenLines[off_to + 1])))
          > 5337 5338 #endif
          > 5338 5339 ))
          > 5339 5340 return TRUE;

          Hm, I don't see the issue with Mate 1.4.2 on Ubuntu 12.10 and you
          detailed steps given in the first message. I suppose you used gvim? I
          actually installed mate but didn't see this with gvim 7.3.753

          regards,
          Christian

        • yerv000
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 28, 2012
            Hi Christian,

            I have tried your setup (Ubuntu 12.10 with MATE 1.4 in VMware) and I was able to reproduce the issue but only at a high resolution (1440x900 or higher) and only when gvim has a large screen size (80x40 or higher).

            When the second file (README.txt) is opened, only the first letter of the first line is refreshed, the rest of the screen shows the previous (Filelist) content. The first letter is "R". I noticed that there is some artifact next to "R". As the cursor is moved via the keyboard the letters get updated, the whole screen ony gets refreshed with the new content when the cursor moves off screen to the next page or when the mouse wheel is rolled down.

            I test with Linux Mint Debian Edition and could not reproduce the issue there. Linux Mint 13 and 14 consistently reproduce the issue regardless of resolution.

            I noticed that gvim under Linux Mint 14 is at 7.3.547. They will most likely hit the issue in their next iteration. In the meantime I will stay at 7.3.637.

            Cheers.

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 13, 2013
              Hi yerv000!

              On Fr, 28 Dez 2012, yerv000 wrote:

              > Hi Christian,
              >
              > I have tried your setup (Ubuntu 12.10 with MATE 1.4 in VMware) and I was able to reproduce the issue but only at a high resolution (1440x900 or higher) and only when gvim has a large screen size (80x40 or higher).
              >
              > When the second file (README.txt) is opened, only the first letter of the first line is refreshed, the rest of the screen shows the previous (Filelist) content. The first letter is "R". I noticed that there is some artifact next to "R". As the cursor is moved via the keyboard the letters get updated, the whole screen ony gets refreshed with the new content when the cursor moves off screen to the next page or when the mouse wheel is rolled down.
              >
              > I test with Linux Mint Debian Edition and could not reproduce the issue there. Linux Mint 13 and 14 consistently reproduce the issue regardless of resolution.
              >
              > I noticed that gvim under Linux Mint 14 is at 7.3.547. They will most likely hit the issue in their next iteration. In the meantime I will stay at 7.3.637.

              Took me a while, until I could up a similar setup. I have istalled mate
              1.4.2 on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS and compiled a fresh 7.3.762 with gnome
              support. But I couldn't reproduce your issue with a maximized gvim
              there.

              regards,
              Christian

            • Alexandru Pănoiu
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17 1:05 PM
                Hello,

                I apologise for resurrecting an old thread. I just want to say that the issue still exists in Linux Mint 17 RC, using Vim 7.4 with patches 1-52 (GTK2 GUI) on a VMware virtual machine (display size set to 1400x900 pixels, if it matters). In the MATE edition the content of windows is not refreshed properly when scrolling up or down using <PageUp> or <PageDown>; in the Cinnamon edition window contents is refreshed properly.

                All the best,
                AlexP