Re: Feature request: Regex "not identifier" character class.

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2012
      So8res wrote:

      > The \i and \k regex character classes are very useful, matching
      > identifier and keyword characters respectively. You might think that
      > \I and \K match non-(identifier,keyword) characters, but that is not
      > what they do.
      >
      > As far as I can tell, there's no (easy) way in a regex to match
      > non-identifier/non-keyword characters.
      >
      > I propose adding such character classes, potentially under the names
      > \_i and \_k. I'm not entirely satisfied with those. Any other
      > suggestions for names?
      >
      > (Alternatively, is there a way to do this that I couldn't find in the help?)

      Right, it's not easy to match the opposite of \i and \k.

      \_ is reserved for items including a line break.

      Perhaps we can make a generic solution with \- meaning "the opposite
      of". At least instead of finding the few characters that don't have a
      meaning yet.

      153. You find yourself staring at your "inbox" waiting for new e-mail
      to arrive.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2012
        On Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:28:26 PM UTC-6, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > So8res wrote:
        >

        > > The \i and \k regex character classes are very useful, matching
        >
        > > identifier and keyword characters respectively. You might think that
        >
        > > \I and \K match non-(identifier,keyword) characters, but that is not
        >
        > > what they do.
        >

        > > As far as I can tell, there's no (easy) way in a regex to match
        >
        > > non-identifier/non-keyword characters.
        >

        > > I propose adding such character classes, potentially under the names
        >
        > > \_i and \_k. I'm not entirely satisfied with those. Any other
        >
        > > suggestions for names?
        >

        > > (Alternatively, is there a way to do this that I couldn't find in the help?)
        >

        > Right, it's not easy to match the opposite of \i and \k.
        >

        > \_ is reserved for items including a line break.
        >

        > Perhaps we can make a generic solution with \- meaning "the opposite
        >
        > of". At least instead of finding the few characters that don't have a
        >
        > meaning yet.

        What about instead of trying to find characters to pair with a \, we just define new classes similar to [[:alnum:]] like [[:identifier:]] and [[:keyword:]] and maybe [[:fname:]]. Then non-matches would just use negation with [^...] just like other character classes.

      • Nate Soares
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2012
          +1 to [:identifier:] and [:keyword:].

          Unfortunately, outside of \i and \k convention is that uppercase means negation (\s and \S, \w and \W, etc.). We can't use that because \I and \K already exist (and \I\i* is a fairly useful pattern).

          I'm +0 on \- meaning negation. You'd then have overlap between \S and \-s but I do think it's nice to have a way to match [^[:identifier:]] without resorting to the square bracket negation.