Issue 98 in vim: python.vim indent plugin not pep8 compliant

  • vim@googlecode.com
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 98 by l.bigonv...@...: python.vim indent plugin not pep8
      compliant

      Hi,

      The in-tree python indent plugin is not pep8 compliant

      It would be nice if this was the case so vim would enforce good styling by
      default

      http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

    • vim@...
      Message 2 of 7 , May 26 1:25 PM
        Comment #1 on issue 98 by ar...@...: python.vim indent plugin not pep8
        compliant

        Hope to see it in vim 7.4 as there are some "The plan is to (1) improve
        Python support" news.

        issue notifications to this address.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2013
          Comment #2 on issue 98 by lurayl: python.vim indent plugin not pep8
          compliant

          As of
          http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/diff?spec=svn173c9c860e42e2af31d598aa6924b99d7e73bd1b&r=173c9c860e42e2af31d598aa6924b99d7e73bd1b&format=side&path=/runtime/ftplugin/python.vim
          the ftplugin is now PEP8 compliant.

          Unfortunately, this is really annoying. I worked on a codebase that doesn't
          follow the PEP8 indent style. I wrote some code that looked right, broke
          everything, and am now angry.

          There are times when it's OK to force an indent style on your users. GNU
          make doesn't accept anything other than hard tabs, so I'm fine with that
          ftplugin forcing hard tabs. Python becomes the 12th of 185 ftplugins to set
          a tab behavior but has no need to and breaks your editor for any codebase
          that isn't PEP-8 compliant already.

          (Oh, by the way, that last changed time is clearly wrong.)

          issue notifications to this address.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2013
            Comment #3 on issue 98 by zyx....@...: python.vim indent plugin not
            pep8 compliant

            > As of
            > http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/diff?spec=svn173c9c860e42e2af31d598aa6924b99d7e73bd1b&r=173c9c860e42e2af31d598aa6924b99d7e73bd1b&format=side&path=/runtime/ftplugin/python.vim
            > the ftplugin is now PEP8 compliant.

            > Unfortunately, this is really annoying. I worked on a codebase that
            > doesn't
            > follow the PEP8 indent style. I wrote some code that looked right, broke
            > everything, and am now angry.

            > There are times when it's OK to force an indent style on your users. GNU
            > make doesn't accept anything other than hard tabs, so I'm fine with that
            > ftplugin forcing hard tabs. Python becomes the 12th of 185 ftplugins to
            > set
            > a tab behavior but has no need to and breaks your editor for any codebase
            > that isn't PEP-8 compliant already.

            It does not force. It provides defaults. You have a bunch of ways to reset
            them: modelines, :au Filetype python, `set exrc` (better to use some plugin
            like localrc); there are also a bunch of plugins that can detect currently
            used coding style and adjust settings accordingly.

            I do not think that having PEP8-compliant default is a bad thing. But
            grepping /usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugin/*.vim reveals that it is not common
            to put “language default” coding styling definition into filetype plugins.
            Thus I would not vote for this change.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2013
              Comment #4 on issue 98 by vega.james@...: python.vim indent plugin
              not pep8 compliant

              > It does not force. It provides defaults. You have a bunch of ways to
              > reset them: modelines, :au Filetype python, `set exrc` (better to use
              > some plugin like localrc);

              Don't forget the after/ directory.

              > I do not think that having PEP8-compliant default is a bad thing. But
              > grepping /usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugin/*.vim reveals that it is not
              > common to put “language default” coding styling definition into filetype
              > plugins.

              I think that correlates more to the fact that most languages don't have
              a self or community imposed coding style. Python, make, cobol, Go, and
              Java are a few off-hand that I can think of which do.

              issue notifications to this address.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 20, 2013
                Comment #5 on issue 98 by zyx....@...: python.vim indent plugin not
                pep8 compliant

                > I think that correlates more to the fact that most languages don't have
                > a self or community imposed coding style. Python, make, cobol, Go, and
                > Java are a few off-hand that I can think of which do.

                Still java does not have such settings. Cobol only provides default for
                textwidth and expandtab, but not shiftwidth or [soft]tabstop. For make (and
                ebuild) AFAIK you *must* use tabs, this is not the case for python.

                issue notifications to this address.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2014
                  Updates:

                  Comment #6 on issue 98 by chrisbr...@...: python.vim indent
                  plugin not pep8 compliant
                  https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=98

                  Closing. Please note, that if you have problems with an included runtime
                  file, first bring the issue to the maintainer of the file, before asking
                  here.

                  issue notifications to this address.