Re: behaviour of d_

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2012
      On So, 09 Dez 2012, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > On Sa, 08 Dez 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > Thanks. It's probably not difficult to add a test for this...
      >
      > Yeah, I thought about this, after I sent the mail. Anyways, here is the
      > patch including a test.

      Sorry, small error in the testfile. Here is the correct patch.

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      Demokratie ist eine Form der Regierung bei der durch die Wahl einer
      inkompetenten Masse eine korrupte Minderheit ernannt wird.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2012
        Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > Hi Bram!
        >
        > On Sa, 08 Dez 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > > Thanks. It's probably not difficult to add a test for this...
        >
        > Yeah, I thought about this, after I sent the mail. Anyways, here is the
        > patch including a test.

        Thanks! I think it's a good habit to add a test if we fix something.
        It might break again.

        --
        I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2012
          On Sunday, December 9, 2012 6:43:23 PM UTC-6, ping wrote:

          > any, overall, if d_ is same as dd, why bother the complexity? or are
          >
          > there any extra value of using d_ that I missed?

          There is value in the _ motion, which goes to the first non-blank character in a line. It is like ^, but also takes a count to go to a different line than the current in one motion. It is also easier to reach than ^ on a Dvorak keyboard.

          There is value in the d command combining with any arbitrary motion command.

          dd is provided for an easy way to delete one or more entire lines. The fact that this convenience command does the same thing as combining the d command with certain motions is irrelevant to the usefulness of those motions, and also irrelevant to whether the d command should combine with that motion (it should combine with all motions).