Re: Incomplete :echo output in autocmds

  • glts
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
      Hi Christian,

      thank you for answering.

      On Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:07:48 PM UTC+1, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > I have seen the issue, but haven't found the problem yet. Is there any
      > reason, why you are not using :echo?

      No reason. It doesn't matter, however, as the behaviour is the same
      regardless of whether I use :echo or :echomsg. At least with :echomsg
      I can see the output via :messages.

      glts

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2012
        Hi glts!

        On Sa, 08 Dez 2012, glts wrote:

        > Hi Christian,
        >
        > thank you for answering.
        >
        > On Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:07:48 PM UTC+1, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > > I have seen the issue, but haven't found the problem yet. Is there any
        > > reason, why you are not using :echo?
        >
        > No reason. It doesn't matter, however, as the behaviour is the same
        > regardless of whether I use :echo or :echomsg. At least with :echomsg
        > I can see the output via :messages.

        Hm, strange, but if you define
        :command! Echo redraw | echo "First line \nSecond line"
        it does not get truncated. So this is at least a workaround.

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Der Fuchs wechselt den Balg, nicht den Charakter.
        -- Gaius Suetonius (70 n.Chr.-?)

      • glts
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2012
          Hi Christian,

          On Sunday, December 9, 2012 3:06:20 PM UTC+1, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > Hm, strange, but if you define
          > :command! Echo redraw | echo "First line \nSecond line"
          > it does not get truncated. So this is at least a workaround.

          A poor workaround, unfortunately. It works with :echo but not with
          :echomsg, and it isn't possible to highlight the lines (or part of a
          line) differently.

          I would look into this myself, but honestly I don't know where to start
          because messages and autocommands don't seem to have anything to do with
          one another ...

          glts