Re: [patch] Add a 'modifier' keyword to the :syntax commands, allowing syntax matches to stack.

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2012
      On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:03:31 PM UTC-6, So8res wrote:
      > I'm a bit stuck on how synID* should work in this context.
      >
      > The problem is that synID() returns the id of the *highlight group*, not the syntax match. In the following example:
      >
      > syntax match Foo 'foo' combine
      > syntax match Bar 'bar'
      > highlight link Foo Comment
      > highlight link Bar Comment
      >
      > if you have the highlight id for 'Comment', I can't reliably tell you whether or not it's going to combine with attributes further up the stack.

      I don't understand. synIDattr(synID(...),"name") on foo returns "Foo". synIDattr(synIDtrans(synID(...)),"name") on foo returns "Comment". Can't we just add something like synIDattr(synID(...),"combine") which returns true/false? Determining the highlight would then be a matter of going up the syntax stack until a non-combining item is found, then walking back up the stack getting the attributes for the translated syntax ID of each item.

      That said, doing all that in vimscript would probably be quite inefficient. The TOHtml implementation even has a comment on the loop that finds all characters in a particular highlight group, that the loop needs to be kept small. A traversal up and down the syntax stack for every character in the document would be a very bad thing. Doing the same thing for every entire highlighted item found would also probably not be very good. So I think we want a new set of functions to help out.

      > The best I can think to do is one of:
      >
      > 1. Add synmatchID() and synmatchIDattr()

      What would these do?

      > 2. Add syncombines(line, col) which tells you if you also need to consult the rest of the synstack() for attributes.

      This could work but would likewise affect the performance of a tight inner loop requiring "if" logic and a vimscript stack traversal on each character.

      Syntax highlighting internally uses a unique number for each individually highlighted item. What if we add a function to return this number (synconcealed() already returns it as one item in a list for different reasons), and another function to get a list of syntax IDs which apply to an item's highlighting (in order of application), given this item number?

    • So8res
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2012
        Oops, sorry, I was misunderstanding how synID* worked.

        I've updated the patch to add the "combine" {what} to synIDattr, which is the bare minimum we need here.

        synID should definitely return only one ID in this case, both because we don't want to duplicate synstack and because it's the only way to get interoperability with the extended links patch.

        I'm still not sure how best to deal with synIDattr. How would you feel about adding a [, {flatten}] argument to it that flattens out the stack before checking the attr (analagous to [, {trans}] in synID)?

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
          On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:47:42 PM UTC-6, So8res wrote:
          > Oops, sorry, I was misunderstanding how synID* worked.
          >
          > I've updated the patch to add the "combine" {what} to synIDattr, which is the bare minimum we need here.
          >
          > synID should definitely return only one ID in this case, both because we don't want to duplicate synstack and because it's the only way to get interoperability with the extended links patch.
          >
          > I'm still not sure how best to deal with synIDattr. How would you feel about adding a [, {flatten}] argument to it that flattens out the stack before checking the attr (analagous to [, {trans}] in synID)?

          I like that idea, but in order for it to work it would need a row+col because the attributes for combined items depend on what they are combined with which depends on where in the document you are.

          So I guess I could get the attrs flattened always at a particular row and column, then if the "combine" item shows that at least one item in the flattened view is a combining syntax item, look at the syntax stack for the names used.

          The problem I see is in detecting two regions side-by-side with the same top-level (combining) syntax item but different underlying syntax stacks which therefore need different highlighting. I'd like to do this without checking the entire stack for every character in the document which I believe will be much slower than otherwise. I suppose I could keep a list of synIDs which combine and only check the stack for those but I'd still like a faster method.

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
            Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:47:42 PM UTC-6, So8res wrote:
            >> Oops, sorry, I was misunderstanding how synID* worked.
            >>
            >> I've updated the patch to add the "combine" {what} to synIDattr, which is the bare minimum we need here.
            >>
            >> synID should definitely return only one ID in this case, both because we don't want to duplicate synstack and because it's the only way to get interoperability with the extended links patch.
            >>
            >> I'm still not sure how best to deal with synIDattr. How would you feel about adding a [, {flatten}] argument to it that flattens out the stack before checking the attr (analagous to [, {trans}] in synID)?
            > I like that idea, but in order for it to work it would need a row+col because the attributes for combined items depend on what they are combined with which depends on where in the document you are.
            >
            > So I guess I could get the attrs flattened always at a particular row and column, then if the "combine" item shows that at least one item in the flattened view is a combining syntax item, look at the syntax stack for the names used.
            >
            > The problem I see is in detecting two regions side-by-side with the same top-level (combining) syntax item but different underlying syntax stacks which therefore need different highlighting. I'd like to do this without checking the entire stack for every character in the document which I believe will be much slower than otherwise. I suppose I could keep a list of synIDs which combine and only check the stack for those but I'd still like a faster method.

            I just am letting you know that I'm interested in this modification, too.

            I have two plugins (hilinks.vim, which allows one to see which syntax
            and highlighting group(s) are active under the cursor; and synchk.vim,
            which is a personal plugin which compares syntax highlighting
            correctness (converts syntax highlighting IDs for various test files
            into line-by-line hashed codes using
            synIDattr(synID(line("."),col("."),1),"name"); I can compare proposed
            changes to syntax highlighting plugins with the previous highlighting of
            the test files, thereby permitting some automated syntax highlight
            checking)). Obviously, if synID* will be returning lists, I may need to
            change these plugins to accommodate that.

            I see other users of synID* : SrchRplcHiGrp.vim (David Fishburn),
            foldutil.vim (Hari Krishna Dara), 2tex.vim (Francois Rigault), in my own
            files. I'm certain that there are many more plugins on vim.sf.net that
            may be affected.

            I think that perhaps [,{flatten}] should be the default, and
            [,{expanded}] give out the list.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • Nate Soares
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
              Oh, right, of course we can't have a {flatten} arg in synIDattr without knowing the row/column.

              It seems like the right thing to do here is have synID return a list of IDs being used, and have synIDattr take a list of IDs and flatten them when looking up an attribute. This has the nice property that existing code keeps working, and that flattening is the default. You can still pull any id from the list and call synIDattr on it alone if you want the "non-flattened" attribute.

              The complexity comes when you try to integrate this behavior with the extended link behavior: what happens when you are using both extended links and combining syntax? My inclination is that synID creates a flat list of *all* highlight groups being used. The user can use the synIDattr(..., "combine") on each element to tell if it comes from an extended link or a syn-combine if they really need to, but in the average case they'll probably just pass the list on to synIDattr.

            • So8res
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
                synID now returns a list.
                synIDattr now takes a list.

                They both still handle the single-id case, but the code's a bit messy and the name is stale. I think we should add synActive and synActiveAttr, which take/return lists instead of single numbers, and then deprecate synID*.