[patch] Add 'removeattrs' argument to :syntax command. Enhancement to 'modifier' patch.

  • So8res
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2012
      This is a potential enhancement to 'syn-modifier' for your consideration.

      It adds 'syn-removeattrs', which can be used as follows:

      syntax region Bold start='\*' end='\*' contains=Unbold
      syntax region Unbold start='\~' end='\~' removeattrs

      highlight Bold term=bold
      highlight Unbold term=bold

      *this is bold ~this is not~*

      It's a logical extension of 'syn-modifier': if there's a way to turn attrs on without affecting other highlighting there should probably be a way to turn them off.

      I'm not thrilled about the naming or the implementation, though. A lot of the hl_combine_attrs code was copied with lots tiny changes to merge with flag1 & ~flag2 instead of flag1 | flag2. A fairly significant refactor would be needed to reduce the repetition.

      I'm also not thrilled about the syntax, it's confusing to "highlight Unbold term=bold" and have it remove bold.

      I'm open to suggestions. Regardless, I think 'syntax modifier' stands on its own.