Re: Netrw failure with latest Vim

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
      > John Little wrote:
      >
      > > I downloaded netrw 147b from
      > > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW
      >
      > > but it didn't work at all, "home/john/" was prepended to every filename, note no leading "/" (yes, my home directory is /home/john).

      and DrChip replied:

      > I haven't been able to duplicate this behavior. Any hints? (like netrw
      > settings, etc?)

      Does it with vim -u NONE -N, :runtime plugin/netrwPlugin.vim, :E, whether installed to ~/.vim or $VIMRUNTIME. v146 is ok.

      Regards, John Little

    • Charles E Campbell
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
        John Little wrote:
        >> John Little wrote:
        >>
        >>> I downloaded netrw 147b from
        >>> http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW
        >>> but it didn't work at all, "home/john/" was prepended to every filename, note no leading "/" (yes, my home directory is /home/john).
        > and DrChip replied:
        >
        >> I haven't been able to duplicate this behavior. Any hints? (like netrw
        >> settings, etc?)
        > Does it with vim -u NONE -N, :runtime plugin/netrwPlugin.vim, :E, whether installed to ~/.vim or $VIMRUNTIME. v146 is ok.

        I tried it with the commands you gave above; I'm afraid that its still
        "it worked for me". Try :set verbose=20 before you do the :runtime
        command and see if netrwPlugin.vim actually gets loaded (without running
        into the finish).

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
          I've just spent a few hours trying to track this down. It was very frustrating as vim's behaviour became unpredictable, though I think I know the cause. Using :Decho went bananas until I found the comment that explained that DechoTabOn was necessary, but even that was subject to weirdness caused by the autocommands running the code being debugged, which interacted with the problem I was trying to find.

          Anyway, to cut a long story short, in V147b the variable g:netrw_xstrlen is used when it doesn't exist in the function s:Strlen in autoload/netrw.vim, when it is called in s:LocalListing. Maybe there's :silent on the way to that point, but s:Strlen's execution is abandoned; trace statements towards the end (such at the call Dret) are not executed, and the listing code uses a directory length of 0. If g:netrw_xstrlen or g:Align_xstrlen or g:drawit_xstrlen is defined, the problem does not occur. Perhaps Dr Chip you have one of those set.

          I'm not sure, but I think the code that checks the existence of g:netrw_xstrlen should look like

          if !exists("g:netrw_xstrlen")
          if exists("g:Align_xstrlen")
          let g:netrw_xstrlen= g:Align_xstrlen
          else
          if !exists("g:drawit_xstrlen")
          if &enc == "latin1" || !has("multi_byte")
          let g:drawit_xstrlen= 0
          else
          let g:drawit_xstrlen= 1
          endif
          endif
          let g:netrw_xstrlen= g:drawit_xstrlen
          endif
          endif

          Regards, John

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
            John Little wrote:
            > I've just spent a few hours trying to track this down. It was very frustrating as vim's behaviour became unpredictable, though I think I know the cause. Using :Decho went bananas until I found the comment that explained that DechoTabOn was necessary, but even that was subject to weirdness caused by the autocommands running the code being debugged, which interacted with the problem I was trying to find.
            >
            > Anyway, to cut a long story short, in V147b the variable g:netrw_xstrlen is used when it doesn't exist in the function s:Strlen in autoload/netrw.vim, when it is called in s:LocalListing. Maybe there's :silent on the way to that point, but s:Strlen's execution is abandoned; trace statements towards the end (such at the call Dret) are not executed, and the listing code uses a directory length of 0. If g:netrw_xstrlen or g:Align_xstrlen or g:drawit_xstrlen is defined, the problem does not occur. Perhaps Dr Chip you have one of those set.
            >
            > I'm not sure, but I think the code that checks the existence of g:netrw_xstrlen should look like
            >
            > if !exists("g:netrw_xstrlen")
            > if exists("g:Align_xstrlen")
            > let g:netrw_xstrlen= g:Align_xstrlen
            > else
            > if !exists("g:drawit_xstrlen")
            > if &enc == "latin1" || !has("multi_byte")
            > let g:drawit_xstrlen= 0
            > else
            > let g:drawit_xstrlen= 1
            > endif
            > endif
            > let g:netrw_xstrlen= g:drawit_xstrlen
            > endif
            > endif

            Good catch -- I do have "one of those set", but the vim -u NONE -N
            shouldn't have loaded my .vimrc, and so I'm mystified as to why I didn't
            run into the problem you were having. I've made a related fix for this
            issue. Thanks!

            I'm going to try to work on or find a way to simply duplicate the other
            problem on this thread awhile before I update netrw on my website.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • John Little
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
              On Sunday, December 2, 2012 4:31:43 AM UTC+13, DrChip wrote:

              > Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate this loss of buffer with
              > a simpler example as yet.

              I can reproduce it with

              vim -u NONE -N -c 'so $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim'
              :e .
              iiiiiii

              Maybe your .vim/.netrwhist needs to be set aside.

              Regards, John

            • Charles Campbell
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15, 2013
                John Little wrote:
                > On Sunday, December 2, 2012 4:31:43 AM UTC+13, DrChip wrote:
                >
                >> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate this loss of buffer with
                >> a simpler example as yet.
                > I can reproduce it with
                >
                > vim -u NONE -N -c 'so $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim'
                > :e .
                > iiiiiii
                >
                > Maybe your .vim/.netrwhist needs to be set aside.
                >
                > Regards, John

                Hello, John:

                I know its been awhile ... but I think I've got the problem solved.
                Please try the attached netrw.

                Regards,
                C Campbell

              • Charles Campbell
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 15, 2013
                  Charles Campbell wrote:
                  > Hello, John:
                  >
                  > I know its been awhile ... but I think I've got the problem solved.
                  > Please try the attached netrw.

                  Sorry, listers -- I didn't intend for this message with its attachment
                  to go to the entire list.

                  Regards,
                  C Campbell