Re: Digraphs

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
      > I usually search the columns of the digraph output for glyph that I want
      Before you judge, give it a try:
      TBrowseOutput digraph then type C will only keep lines matching C and
      highlight the C matches. That's pretty damn close,

      Second: You know how to capture output, and I know that you've written
      ATP, haven't you? So you know enough VimL python or whatsoever to turn
      the redirected outputh into a single col thing you can filter easily
      with :g and :v commands (repacing \t by \n or such, you may have to
      type the \n by c-v then enter key)

      If you know you're looking for ⊗ / search is fine.

      I'd even recommend creating your own ~/.digraphs file copy pasting those
      you use often there - then its fast to lookup.

      And yes, TBrowseOutput is helpful, cause you'll find
      tlib#cmd#OutputAsList easily thus you can do something like this which
      is pretty damn close:
      <c-r>=split(join(tlib#cmd#OutputAsList('digraph'),"\n"),'\s\{2,}')

      Asking for finding digraph faster without talking about how to find them
      in the first place is like "feeling lucky" :-)

      And of course you can combine that And TBrowseOutput easily, using such:
      :TBrowseOutput echo join(split(join(tlib#cmd#OutputAsList('digraph'),"\n"),'\s\{2,}'),"\n")
      which doesn't work, any idea why?

      HTH
      Marc Weber

    • Dominique Pellé
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
        Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
        > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
        > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
        > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Marcin

        H Marcin

        Not what you're asking for, but I search for digraphs in ":help digraph".
        All standard digraphs are listed there. There are more ways to
        search for them in the help page than in the output of :digraph.
        For example, searching for /INTERSECTION I find:

        ∩ (U 2229 8745 INTERSECTION

        -- Dominique

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
          On 01/12/12 14:56, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
          > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
          > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
          > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Marcin

          In addition to all the answers you already got, all standard digraphs
          are listed in the output of :digraphs in Unicode codepoint order. This
          makes it easy to find a digraph when you know the Unicode codepoint,
          except that the output of :dig gives the codepoint numbers in decimal
          while the usual custom is to give them in hex. Happily, Vim can easily
          convert hex to decimal: for instance, if you know that UPWARDS ARROW is
          U+2191, type :echo 0x2191 and Vim will answer 8593. Searching the output
          of :dig for 8593 tells you that -! is the digraph for an upwards arrow.

          To find out the Unicode codepoint for the character you need, I recommend:

          http://www.unicode.org/charts/ (by family of scripts or of symbols)
          http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html (by name)

          The latter indexes the names by all the important words in them, and
          often according to several different alternate names for a single
          codepoint. Both these pages contain links to glyph charts in PDF.

          This, of course, is for when you need to use a given codepoint
          repetitively. If you need it only once, see
          :help i_CTRL-V_digit
          about how to input the character (in Insert/Replace or Command-line
          modes) by using the Unicode hex value directly.

          Cerebus: I'd love to lick apricot brandy out of your navel.
          Jaka: Look, Cerebus-- Jaka has to tell you ... something
          Cerebus: If Cerebus had a navel, would you lick apricot brandy
          out of it?
          Jaka: Ugh!
          Cerebus: You don't like apricot brandy?
          -- Cerebus #6, "The Secret"

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
            Hi Marcin!

            On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
            > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
            > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
            > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.

            You can use my unicode plugin which allows to complete digraphs.

            regards,
            Christian

          • Marcin Szamotulski
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
              On 17:51 Sat 01 Dec , Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > Hi Marcin!
              >
              > On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
              >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
              > > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
              > > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
              > > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
              >
              > You can use my unicode plugin which allows to complete digraphs.
              >
              > regards,
              > Christian
              > --
              >
              > --

              Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
              I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
              pretty ...

              Regards,
              Marcin

            • Dominique Pellé
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:

                > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                > pretty ...
                >
                > Regards,
                > Marcin

                Hi Marcin

                You can try the attached patch. It adds colors to the output of the
                ":digraph" command which lists digraphs.

                I'm not sure whether it's worth having an official patch for it.

                Regards
                -- Dominique

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                  Hi Marcin!

                  On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                  > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                  > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                  > pretty ...

                  Last version 0.14 of unicode.vim now offers a :Digraphs command, that
                  does what you want, e.g.

                  :Digraphs display a colored output of the :digraph list
                  :Digraphs X display all digraphs, matching X

                  regards,
                  Christian
                  --
                  Edel sei der Mensch, Milchreis ist gut.

                • Marcin Szamotulski
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                    On 21:28 Sat 01 Dec , Christian Brabandt wrote:
                    > Hi Marcin!
                    >
                    > On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                    > > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                    > > pretty ...
                    >
                    > Last version 0.14 of unicode.vim now offers a :Digraphs command, that
                    > does what you want, e.g.
                    >
                    > :Digraphs display a colored output of the :digraph list
                    > :Digraphs X display all digraphs, matching X
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Christian
                    > --
                    > Edel sei der Mensch, Milchreis ist gut.