Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Digraphs

Expand Messages
  • Marc Weber
    I don t understand what your problem is cause you don t describe in which way you search the digraphs. If you already have that character somewhere, you can
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      I don't understand what your problem is cause you don't describe in
      which way you search the digraphs. If you already have that character
      somewhere, you can use Vim's redir option to pipe :digraph output into a
      buffer and the use the / search.
      If you don't have tho character yet you may just want touse google or
      such so that you have the char to look for.

      If you're too lazy to write up a redir capturing tool yourself just get
      tlib and use:
      :TBrowseOutput digraph

      Then press <c-z> and you have a ordinary Vim buffer you can copy paste
      from, use c-v for block highlighting etc..

      Marc Weber

      --
      You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
    • Marcin Szamotulski
      ... I usually search the columns of the digraph output for glyph that I want for example: if look for ∩ or ⊗ then I search all the columns of ...
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        On 15:00 Sat 01 Dec , Marc Weber wrote:
        > I don't understand what your problem is cause you don't describe in
        > which way you search the digraphs. If you already have that character
        > somewhere, you can use Vim's redir option to pipe :digraph output into a
        > buffer and the use the / search.
        > If you don't have tho character yet you may just want touse google or
        > such so that you have the char to look for.
        >
        > If you're too lazy to write up a redir capturing tool yourself just get
        > tlib and use:
        > :TBrowseOutput digraph
        >
        > Then press <c-z> and you have a ordinary Vim buffer you can copy paste
        > from, use c-v for block highlighting etc..
        >
        > Marc Weber
        >
        > --
        > You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
        > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        I usually search the columns of the digraph output for glyph that I want
        for example: if look for ∩ or ⊗ then I search all the columns of
        :digraph to find what should I type after i_CTRL-K. I didn't know about
        TBrowseOutput command, but it is not very helpful in my case. Another
        thing that could be useful: to be possible to list only digraphs which
        match a pattern, for example:

        dig C

        list all the digraphs which can be typed with i_CTRL-KC.

        I don't mind writing my own vimscipt which prints the digraphs the
        way I want, but I think that it is be much better if vim can do that out
        of the box.

        Cheers,
        Marcin

        --
        You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      • Marc Weber
        ... Before you judge, give it a try: TBrowseOutput digraph then type C will only keep lines matching C and highlight the C matches. That s pretty damn close,
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          > I usually search the columns of the digraph output for glyph that I want
          Before you judge, give it a try:
          TBrowseOutput digraph then type C will only keep lines matching C and
          highlight the C matches. That's pretty damn close,

          Second: You know how to capture output, and I know that you've written
          ATP, haven't you? So you know enough VimL python or whatsoever to turn
          the redirected outputh into a single col thing you can filter easily
          with :g and :v commands (repacing \t by \n or such, you may have to
          type the \n by c-v then enter key)

          If you know you're looking for ⊗ / search is fine.

          I'd even recommend creating your own ~/.digraphs file copy pasting those
          you use often there - then its fast to lookup.

          And yes, TBrowseOutput is helpful, cause you'll find
          tlib#cmd#OutputAsList easily thus you can do something like this which
          is pretty damn close:
          <c-r>=split(join(tlib#cmd#OutputAsList('digraph'),"\n"),'\s\{2,}')

          Asking for finding digraph faster without talking about how to find them
          in the first place is like "feeling lucky" :-)

          And of course you can combine that And TBrowseOutput easily, using such:
          :TBrowseOutput echo join(split(join(tlib#cmd#OutputAsList('digraph'),"\n"),'\s\{2,}'),"\n")
          which doesn't work, any idea why?

          HTH
          Marc Weber

          --
          You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        • Dominique Pellé
          ... H Marcin Not what you re asking for, but I search for digraphs in :help digraph . All standard digraphs are listed there. There are more ways to search
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
            > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
            > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
            > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Marcin

            H Marcin

            Not what you're asking for, but I search for digraphs in ":help digraph".
            All standard digraphs are listed there. There are more ways to
            search for them in the help page than in the output of :digraph.
            For example, searching for /INTERSECTION I find:

            ∩ (U 2229 8745 INTERSECTION

            -- Dominique

            --
            You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          • Tony Mechelynck
            ... In addition to all the answers you already got, all standard digraphs are listed in the output of :digraphs in Unicode codepoint order. This makes it easy
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              On 01/12/12 14:56, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
              > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
              > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
              > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Marcin
              >

              In addition to all the answers you already got, all standard digraphs
              are listed in the output of :digraphs in Unicode codepoint order. This
              makes it easy to find a digraph when you know the Unicode codepoint,
              except that the output of :dig gives the codepoint numbers in decimal
              while the usual custom is to give them in hex. Happily, Vim can easily
              convert hex to decimal: for instance, if you know that UPWARDS ARROW is
              U+2191, type :echo 0x2191 and Vim will answer 8593. Searching the output
              of :dig for 8593 tells you that -! is the digraph for an upwards arrow.

              To find out the Unicode codepoint for the character you need, I recommend:

              http://www.unicode.org/charts/ (by family of scripts or of symbols)
              http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html (by name)

              The latter indexes the names by all the important words in them, and
              often according to several different alternate names for a single
              codepoint. Both these pages contain links to glyph charts in PDF.

              This, of course, is for when you need to use a given codepoint
              repetitively. If you need it only once, see
              :help i_CTRL-V_digit
              about how to input the character (in Insert/Replace or Command-line
              modes) by using the Unicode hex value directly.


              Best regards,
              Tony.
              --
              Cerebus: I'd love to lick apricot brandy out of your navel.
              Jaka: Look, Cerebus-- Jaka has to tell you ... something
              Cerebus: If Cerebus had a navel, would you lick apricot brandy
              out of it?
              Jaka: Ugh!
              Cerebus: You don't like apricot brandy?
              -- Cerebus #6, "The Secret"

              --
              You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            • Christian Brabandt
              Hi Marcin! ... You can use my unicode plugin which allows to complete digraphs. regards, Christian -- -- You received this message from the vim_dev maillist.
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Marcin!

                On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
                > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
                > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
                > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.

                You can use my unicode plugin which allows to complete digraphs.

                regards,
                Christian
                --

                --
                You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
              • Marcin Szamotulski
                ... Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look pretty ...
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  On 17:51 Sat 01 Dec , Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  > Hi Marcin!
                  >
                  > On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
                  > > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
                  > > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
                  > > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
                  >
                  > You can use my unicode plugin which allows to complete digraphs.
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Christian
                  > --
                  >
                  > --
                  > You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                  > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                  Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                  I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                  pretty ...

                  Regards,
                  Marcin

                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                • Dominique Pellé
                  ... Hi Marcin You can try the attached patch. It adds colors to the output of the :digraph command which lists digraphs. I m not sure whether it s worth
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                    > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                    > pretty ...
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Marcin

                    Hi Marcin

                    You can try the attached patch. It adds colors to the output of the
                    ":digraph" command which lists digraphs.

                    I'm not sure whether it's worth having an official patch for it.

                    Regards
                    -- Dominique

                    --
                    You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                    Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                    For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                  • Christian Brabandt
                    Hi Marcin! ... Last version 0.14 of unicode.vim now offers a :Digraphs command, that does what you want, e.g. ... regards, Christian -- Edel sei der Mensch,
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi Marcin!

                      On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                      > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                      > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                      > pretty ...

                      Last version 0.14 of unicode.vim now offers a :Digraphs command, that
                      does what you want, e.g.

                      :Digraphs display a colored output of the :digraph list
                      :Digraphs X display all digraphs, matching X

                      regards,
                      Christian
                      --
                      Edel sei der Mensch, Milchreis ist gut.

                      --
                      You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                    • Marcin Szamotulski
                      ... Dear Christian and Dominique, That s exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot, Marcin -- You received this message from the vim_dev maillist. Do not
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On 21:28 Sat 01 Dec , Christian Brabandt wrote:
                        > Hi Marcin!
                        >
                        > On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                        >
                        > > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                        > > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                        > > pretty ...
                        >
                        > Last version 0.14 of unicode.vim now offers a :Digraphs command, that
                        > does what you want, e.g.
                        >
                        > :Digraphs display a colored output of the :digraph list
                        > :Digraphs X display all digraphs, matching X
                        >
                        > regards,
                        > Christian
                        > --
                        > Edel sei der Mensch, Milchreis ist gut.

                        Dear Christian and Dominique,

                        That's exactly what I was looking for!

                        Thanks a lot,
                        Marcin

                        --
                        You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.