Re: Netrw failure with latest Vim

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2012
      On Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:42:54 PM UTC+13, François Ingelrest wrote:
      > At step 3 I get a blank screen with no listing.

      So do I.

      On Kubuntu 12.10, vim 7.3.742, Huge version with GTK2-GNOME, starting vim with

      vim -u NONE -N -c 'let g:netrw_liststyle=3' \
      -c 'so $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim'

      on step 3 I get an empty screen, like that of an empty buffer, tildes down the left. Press i, and the next type of netrw listing is displayed correctly. Cycling through them with i, the tree listing screen is empty and the others ok.

      Attempting to install the latest netrw...

      Regards, John

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
        On Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:54:16 PM UTC+13, John Little wrote:
        > Attempting to install the latest netrw...

        I downloaded netrw 147b from

        http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW

        but it didn't work at all, "home/john/" was prepended to every filename, note no leading "/" (yes, my home directory is /home/john).

        Regards, John

      • Charles E Campbell
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
          François Ingelrest wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I've updated Vim to 7.3.744 (features=big) and now netrw fails the
          > second time I try to open a file using :Explore
          >
          > 1. Start vim
          > 2. :E and open a file
          > 3. :E fails
          >
          > At step 3 I get a blank screen with no listing. This seems to be
          > caused by this line in my .vimrc:
          >
          > let g:netrw_liststyle=3
          >
          > If I comment this line, everything works as expected.
          >
          > This is on a Debian Squeeze with netrw v146.

          I see this problem, too (on a Scientific Linux box).

          Note the following:

          1. start vim

          2. :Ex .

          3. Pick some file
          :ls!

          You'll see something like

          4u# - "NetrwTreeListing 1" line 17

          (the line number is showing the line number of the file you selected in
          the NetrwTreeListing buffer)
          So, the NetrwTreeListing buffer is unlisted, is an alternate buffer (for
          :e #), and the current line number is 17.

          4. :b 4
          The NetrwTreeListing buffer is now empty. This is what is
          happening, essentially, to netrw when it tries to bring up the
          NetrwTreeListing buffer.

          Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate this loss of buffer with
          a simpler example as yet.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • Charles E Campbell
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
            John Little wrote:
            > On Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:54:16 PM UTC+13, John Little wrote:
            >> Attempting to install the latest netrw...
            > I downloaded netrw 147b from
            >
            > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW
            >
            > but it didn't work at all, "home/john/" was prepended to every filename, note no leading "/" (yes, my home directory is /home/john).

            I haven't been able to duplicate this behavior. Any hints? (like netrw
            settings, etc?)

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • Charles Cooper
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
              Confirming problem tied to setting liststyle in vimrc; problem disappears when set line commented.

            • John Little
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
                > John Little wrote:
                >
                > > I downloaded netrw 147b from
                > > http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW
                >
                > > but it didn't work at all, "home/john/" was prepended to every filename, note no leading "/" (yes, my home directory is /home/john).

                and DrChip replied:

                > I haven't been able to duplicate this behavior. Any hints? (like netrw
                > settings, etc?)

                Does it with vim -u NONE -N, :runtime plugin/netrwPlugin.vim, :E, whether installed to ~/.vim or $VIMRUNTIME. v146 is ok.

                Regards, John Little

              • Charles E Campbell
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
                  John Little wrote:
                  >> John Little wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I downloaded netrw 147b from
                  >>> http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW
                  >>> but it didn't work at all, "home/john/" was prepended to every filename, note no leading "/" (yes, my home directory is /home/john).
                  > and DrChip replied:
                  >
                  >> I haven't been able to duplicate this behavior. Any hints? (like netrw
                  >> settings, etc?)
                  > Does it with vim -u NONE -N, :runtime plugin/netrwPlugin.vim, :E, whether installed to ~/.vim or $VIMRUNTIME. v146 is ok.

                  I tried it with the commands you gave above; I'm afraid that its still
                  "it worked for me". Try :set verbose=20 before you do the :runtime
                  command and see if netrwPlugin.vim actually gets loaded (without running
                  into the finish).

                  Regards,
                  Chip Campbell

                • John Little
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                    I've just spent a few hours trying to track this down. It was very frustrating as vim's behaviour became unpredictable, though I think I know the cause. Using :Decho went bananas until I found the comment that explained that DechoTabOn was necessary, but even that was subject to weirdness caused by the autocommands running the code being debugged, which interacted with the problem I was trying to find.

                    Anyway, to cut a long story short, in V147b the variable g:netrw_xstrlen is used when it doesn't exist in the function s:Strlen in autoload/netrw.vim, when it is called in s:LocalListing. Maybe there's :silent on the way to that point, but s:Strlen's execution is abandoned; trace statements towards the end (such at the call Dret) are not executed, and the listing code uses a directory length of 0. If g:netrw_xstrlen or g:Align_xstrlen or g:drawit_xstrlen is defined, the problem does not occur. Perhaps Dr Chip you have one of those set.

                    I'm not sure, but I think the code that checks the existence of g:netrw_xstrlen should look like

                    if !exists("g:netrw_xstrlen")
                    if exists("g:Align_xstrlen")
                    let g:netrw_xstrlen= g:Align_xstrlen
                    else
                    if !exists("g:drawit_xstrlen")
                    if &enc == "latin1" || !has("multi_byte")
                    let g:drawit_xstrlen= 0
                    else
                    let g:drawit_xstrlen= 1
                    endif
                    endif
                    let g:netrw_xstrlen= g:drawit_xstrlen
                    endif
                    endif

                    Regards, John

                  • Charles Campbell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
                      John Little wrote:
                      > I've just spent a few hours trying to track this down. It was very frustrating as vim's behaviour became unpredictable, though I think I know the cause. Using :Decho went bananas until I found the comment that explained that DechoTabOn was necessary, but even that was subject to weirdness caused by the autocommands running the code being debugged, which interacted with the problem I was trying to find.
                      >
                      > Anyway, to cut a long story short, in V147b the variable g:netrw_xstrlen is used when it doesn't exist in the function s:Strlen in autoload/netrw.vim, when it is called in s:LocalListing. Maybe there's :silent on the way to that point, but s:Strlen's execution is abandoned; trace statements towards the end (such at the call Dret) are not executed, and the listing code uses a directory length of 0. If g:netrw_xstrlen or g:Align_xstrlen or g:drawit_xstrlen is defined, the problem does not occur. Perhaps Dr Chip you have one of those set.
                      >
                      > I'm not sure, but I think the code that checks the existence of g:netrw_xstrlen should look like
                      >
                      > if !exists("g:netrw_xstrlen")
                      > if exists("g:Align_xstrlen")
                      > let g:netrw_xstrlen= g:Align_xstrlen
                      > else
                      > if !exists("g:drawit_xstrlen")
                      > if &enc == "latin1" || !has("multi_byte")
                      > let g:drawit_xstrlen= 0
                      > else
                      > let g:drawit_xstrlen= 1
                      > endif
                      > endif
                      > let g:netrw_xstrlen= g:drawit_xstrlen
                      > endif
                      > endif

                      Good catch -- I do have "one of those set", but the vim -u NONE -N
                      shouldn't have loaded my .vimrc, and so I'm mystified as to why I didn't
                      run into the problem you were having. I've made a related fix for this
                      issue. Thanks!

                      I'm going to try to work on or find a way to simply duplicate the other
                      problem on this thread awhile before I update netrw on my website.

                      Regards,
                      Chip Campbell

                    • John Little
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
                        On Sunday, December 2, 2012 4:31:43 AM UTC+13, DrChip wrote:

                        > Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate this loss of buffer with
                        > a simpler example as yet.

                        I can reproduce it with

                        vim -u NONE -N -c 'so $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim'
                        :e .
                        iiiiiii

                        Maybe your .vim/.netrwhist needs to be set aside.

                        Regards, John

                      • Charles Campbell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 15, 2013
                          John Little wrote:
                          > On Sunday, December 2, 2012 4:31:43 AM UTC+13, DrChip wrote:
                          >
                          >> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate this loss of buffer with
                          >> a simpler example as yet.
                          > I can reproduce it with
                          >
                          > vim -u NONE -N -c 'so $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim'
                          > :e .
                          > iiiiiii
                          >
                          > Maybe your .vim/.netrwhist needs to be set aside.
                          >
                          > Regards, John

                          Hello, John:

                          I know its been awhile ... but I think I've got the problem solved.
                          Please try the attached netrw.

                          Regards,
                          C Campbell

                        • Charles Campbell
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 15, 2013
                            Charles Campbell wrote:
                            > Hello, John:
                            >
                            > I know its been awhile ... but I think I've got the problem solved.
                            > Please try the attached netrw.

                            Sorry, listers -- I didn't intend for this message with its attachment
                            to go to the entire list.

                            Regards,
                            C Campbell