Quit vim ignore certain type of buffers

  • Techlive Zheng
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27 11:59 AM
      `:quit` command currently exits vim if it is the last open window, help window will be ignored in this check, is there any way to specify certain type of buffers by '&buftype' or '&filetype' to be ignored during this process?

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27 2:21 PM
        On 11:59 Tue 27 Nov , Techlive Zheng wrote:
        > `:quit` command currently exits vim if it is the last open window, help window will be ignored in this check, is there any way to specify certain type of buffers by '&buftype' or '&filetype' to be ignored during this process?
        >
        > --

        Hi,

        This is an answer and a question at the same time ...

        Unfortunately non of the buftypes works, except help. But the help file
        discourages to set this buftype. __Can anybody say why?__

        In one of my plugins I have a table of contents window which could be
        abandoned nicely, another example is the NERD_Tree window.

        One always could redefine the command :quit and make a map to ^Wd to
        close vim when only the window has left, but to overwrite a build-in
        command one has to use one of the cmdalias plugins:

        Marcin

      • sc
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27 2:49 PM
          On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:21:12PM +0000, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
          > On 11:59 Tue 27 Nov , Techlive Zheng wrote:
          > > `:quit` command currently exits vim if it is the last open window, help window will be ignored in this check, is there any way to specify certain type of buffers by '&buftype' or '&filetype' to be ignored during this process?
          > >
          > > --
          > > You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.

          > Hi,

          > This is an answer and a question at the same time ...

          > Unfortunately non of the buftypes works, except help. But the help file
          > discourages to set this buftype. __Can anybody say why?__

          > In one of my plugins I have a table of contents window which could be
          > abandoned nicely, another example is the NERD_Tree window.

          > One always could redefine the command :quit and make a map to ^Wd to
          > close vim when only the window has left, but to overwrite a build-in
          > command one has to use one of the cmdalias plugins:

          an easier solution would be to sacrifice an F-key to quit, after all
          it's something you always do from every session -- due to my history
          with big iron my choice is always to put :bdelete<CR> on F3 and
          :quall<CR> on S-F3

          with those mappings in place you can use the repeat key feature on F3,
          or if you're really in a hurry hit S-F3 and you're out

          sc

        • ZyX
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28 9:34 AM
            > Unfortunately non of the buftypes works, except help. But the help file
            > discourages to set this buftype. __Can anybody say why?__

            Help contents is displayed in window holding buffer with this buftype if it exists. You don’t need your buffer get hidden when user issues “:h” command, do you?

          • Marcin Szamotulski
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29 5:30 PM
              On 09:34 Wed 28 Nov , ZyX wrote:
              > > Unfortunately non of the buftypes works, except help. But the help file
              > > discourages to set this buftype. __Can anybody say why?__
              >
              > Help contents is displayed in window holding buffer with this buftype if it exists. You don’t need your buffer get hidden when user issues “:h” command, do you?
              >
              > --

              I have found the solution. There was added autocommand group QuitPre
              which can be used to close additional windows. Thanks Zyx for the
              answer.

              Cheers,
              Marcin