Re: Will vim fix the bug related to xorg's ClipboardPersistence bug

  • James McCoy
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
      On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:14:15PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Yue Wu wrote:
      > > Today I read a article about xorg's ClipboardPersistence bug [1],

      Calling it a bug is a bit of a misnomer. It was a choice made during
      the design of X. Attempting to define a defacto standard way to
      interact with clipboard managers just makes it easier for people who
      want to use clipboard managers to experience the behavior they expect.

      > > vim is
      > > in the affected broken application list, and I'm sure the bug is still in
      > > vim. My question is, do you know this bug? Will it get fixed in future?
      > >
      > > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence
      >
      > It works just fine for me: Visually select some text and exit Vim.
      > The open a new Vim and middle-click to paste the text previously
      > selected. I wonder in what situation it doesn't work.

      If one of the applications involved doesn't know how to use CUT_BUFFER0,
      either to store the selection when it exits or to pull from if an
      application doesn't currently own the selection.

      If the selected text is non-latin1, since that's all CUT_BUFFER0
      supports.

      If the selection was anything other than text.

      > It seems that page mistakes the X selection for a clipboard, those are
      > two differen things.

      The clipboard and selection are treated the same by X, in terms of not
      being preserved when the application asserting ownership exits. The
      current "solution" to this problem is to run a clipboard manager so that
      there is always something running that holds the clipboard data.

      The referred wiki page discusses a proposed standard way for working
      with such clipboard managers.

      --
      James
      GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>