Will vim fix the bug related to xorg's ClipboardPersistence bug

  • WU Yue
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
      Hi list,

      Today I read a article about xorg's ClipboardPersistence bug [1], vim is
      in the affected broken application list, and I'm sure the bug is still in
      vim. My question is, do you know this bug? Will it get fixed in future?

      [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence

      WU Yue

      State Key laboratory of Natural Products and Functions
      Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
      Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
      China Pharmaceutical University
      No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
        Yue Wu wrote:

        > Today I read a article about xorg's ClipboardPersistence bug [1], vim is
        > in the affected broken application list, and I'm sure the bug is still in
        > vim. My question is, do you know this bug? Will it get fixed in future?
        >
        > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence

        It works just fine for me: Visually select some text and exit Vim.
        The open a new Vim and middle-click to paste the text previously
        selected. I wonder in what situation it doesn't work.

        It seems that page mistakes the X selection for a clipboard, those are
        two differen things.

        --
        If bankers can count, how come they have eight windows and
        only four tellers?

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
          On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:12:42 AM UTC+13, WU Yue wrote:

          > Today I read a article about xorg's ClipboardPersistence bug [1], vim is
          > in the affected broken application list, and I'm sure the bug is still in
          > vim.

          That's not a "bug in vim"; it's the way X worked historically. The solution IMO is to use a clipboard manager as the article says. I thought modern desktop environments always installed one; maybe I've been spoiled by KDE.

          I'd have thought that to fix it in vim would be getting vim to act as a clipboard manager, which is properly part of the DE's role.

          Regards, John

        • James McCoy
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
            On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:14:15PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > Yue Wu wrote:
            > > Today I read a article about xorg's ClipboardPersistence bug [1],

            Calling it a bug is a bit of a misnomer. It was a choice made during
            the design of X. Attempting to define a defacto standard way to
            interact with clipboard managers just makes it easier for people who
            want to use clipboard managers to experience the behavior they expect.

            > > vim is
            > > in the affected broken application list, and I'm sure the bug is still in
            > > vim. My question is, do you know this bug? Will it get fixed in future?
            > >
            > > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence
            >
            > It works just fine for me: Visually select some text and exit Vim.
            > The open a new Vim and middle-click to paste the text previously
            > selected. I wonder in what situation it doesn't work.

            If one of the applications involved doesn't know how to use CUT_BUFFER0,
            either to store the selection when it exits or to pull from if an
            application doesn't currently own the selection.

            If the selected text is non-latin1, since that's all CUT_BUFFER0
            supports.

            If the selection was anything other than text.

            > It seems that page mistakes the X selection for a clipboard, those are
            > two differen things.

            The clipboard and selection are treated the same by X, in terms of not
            being preserved when the application asserting ownership exits. The
            current "solution" to this problem is to run a clipboard manager so that
            there is always something running that holds the clipboard data.

            The referred wiki page discusses a proposed standard way for working
            with such clipboard managers.

            --
            James
            GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>