Re: Functions with [range] do not preserve the cursor line

  • Andy Wokula
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 22, 2012
      Am 22.11.2012 07:27, schrieb Christian Brabandt:
      > On Thu, November 22, 2012 04:42, Nate Soares wrote:
      >> Here's a patch that adds the "stay" argument to the :function command.
      >> Thoughts?
      >
      > That is nice.
      >
      > ,----[ :h todo.txt ]-
      > | ":function f(x) keepjumps" creates a function where every command is
      > | executed like it has ":keepjumps" before it.
      > `----
      >
      > I wonder, if one should combine the keepjumps and stay functions into one
      > special argument or make 2 of it.

      No.

      E.g. you want to make a change at the cursor position and
      take [range] lines into account to compute the change.
      And you don't want :keepjumps for it.

      Even without use case:
      "Sooner or later, everyone wants everything as an option."
      The new `stay' argument is an example for it!
      So, `no' again ^^.

      --
      Andy

    • So8res
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2013
        On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:13:17 AM UTC-8, So8res wrote:

        > > I don't like "stay", but can't think of something better right now.
        > >
        > > Perhaps "keepline"?
        > >

        > How do you feel about using 'range!' (with a bang) instead?
        >
        > It would keep the :function argument space more concise, and would only be usable with 'range', both of which are nice. However, there's no precedent (that I can find) for command arguments having bangs.

        Any word on getting a variant of range functions that don't move the cursorline? This still bites me occasionally.