Re: Functions with [range] do not preserve the cursor line

  • Ingo Karkat
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 21, 2012
      On 20-Nov-12 20:14:08 +0100, Nate Soares wrote:

      > In that case I'd like to make a feature request for a way to handle functions
      > with ranges without moving the cursor. My suggestion would be adding a [save]
      > argument to :function which calls winsaveview() before entering and
      > winrestview() after exiting the function, as this has potential applications
      > beyond just [range] functions.
      >
      > Thoughts on the proposed api?

      That might be a good compromise. Even though nobody has so far come up with a
      use case for the current, impractical behavior, Bram is (rightly) very concerned
      about preserving behavior.

      Though I have no experience with this, I guess this argument (I'd call it
      [keepview]) could be implemented without many lines of code and effort.

      -- regards, ingo

      PS: Please bottom-post on this list.

    • So8res
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2013
        On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:13:17 AM UTC-8, So8res wrote:

        > > I don't like "stay", but can't think of something better right now.
        > >
        > > Perhaps "keepline"?
        > >

        > How do you feel about using 'range!' (with a bang) instead?
        >
        > It would keep the :function argument space more concise, and would only be usable with 'range', both of which are nice. However, there's no precedent (that I can find) for command arguments having bangs.

        Any word on getting a variant of range functions that don't move the cursorline? This still bites me occasionally.