Re: Functions with [range] do not preserve the cursor line

  • Nate Soares
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 20, 2012
      I also believe that the behavior should be changed. As Ingo pointed out, the documentation is ambiguous and if anything implies that the cursor should *not* be moved on functions with [range].

      I doubt there are any plugins which depend upon this bug, and there is at least one (mine) which is hindered by it.

      As of now the functionality can be emulated with a command, but there is no way to create a function with [range] which saves and restores the view. That is a serious drawback.

      On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
      On Tue, November 20, 2012 17:46, Ingo Karkat wrote:
      > I omit the range attribute on the function and explicitly pass the range
      > in:
      > #v+
      >     function! s:Foo( firstLine, lastLine )
      >     endfunction
      >     command! -range=% Foo call <SID>Foo(<line1>,<line2>)
      > #v-

      Yes, that was what I meant initially.

      regards,
      Christian

    • So8res
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2013
        On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:13:17 AM UTC-8, So8res wrote:

        > > I don't like "stay", but can't think of something better right now.
        > >
        > > Perhaps "keepline"?
        > >

        > How do you feel about using 'range!' (with a bang) instead?
        >
        > It would keep the :function argument space more concise, and would only be usable with 'range', both of which are nice. However, there's no precedent (that I can find) for command arguments having bangs.

        Any word on getting a variant of range functions that don't move the cursorline? This still bites me occasionally.