Re: Update for MzScheme interface

  • Sergey Khorev
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2012
      Hi,

      > I have a problem building with the MzScheme interface on a newly updated
      > Ubuntu 12.10 system. The errors are:
      >
      > /home/mool/vim/vim73/src/if_mzsch.c|632 col 3| error: #error MzScheme 4.x must include mzscheme_base.c, for MinGW32 you need to define MZSCHEME_GENERATE_BASE=yes
      > || if_mzsch.c: In function ‘startup_mzscheme’:

      Have you run make autoconf? I didn't include rebuilt auto/configure
      because my version of autoconf is older than yours.

      > This looks weird:

      > -#ifdef SIGSEGV
      > +#if defined(SIGSEGV) && !defined(FEAT_MZSCHEME)
      > + /* MzScheme uses SEGV in its garbage collector */
      > {SIGSEGV, "SEGV", TRUE},
      > #endif
      > How can a garbage collector use SEGV and still handle real errors
      > properly? With this change a SEGV would trigger the garbage collector
      > and then what? Crash-loop?

      When GC traverses heap or stack, it uses SIGSEGV as a sign that it
      reached the end of allocated memory. Unfortunately it assumes that the
      host application will not want to handle SIGSEGV itself. If the
      application receives genuine SIGSEGV it will follow the normal
      procedure with "core dumped" etc..

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2012
        Sergey Khorev wrote:

        > > I have a problem building with the MzScheme interface on a newly updated
        > > Ubuntu 12.10 system. The errors are:
        > >
        > > /home/mool/vim/vim73/src/if_mzsch.c|632 col 3| error: #error
        > > MzScheme 4.x must include mzscheme_base.c, for MinGW32 you need to
        > > define MZSCHEME_GENERATE_BASE=yes
        >
        > Have you run make autoconf? I didn't include rebuilt auto/configure
        > because my version of autoconf is older than yours.

        Yes, autoconf has run. As I said, I don't see MZSCHEME_GENERATE_BASE
        defined in the configure script anywhere.

        > > This looks weird:
        >
        > > -#ifdef SIGSEGV
        > > +#if defined(SIGSEGV) && !defined(FEAT_MZSCHEME)
        > > + /* MzScheme uses SEGV in its garbage collector */
        > > {SIGSEGV, "SEGV", TRUE},
        > > #endif
        > > How can a garbage collector use SEGV and still handle real errors
        > > properly? With this change a SEGV would trigger the garbage collector
        > > and then what? Crash-loop?
        >
        > When GC traverses heap or stack, it uses SIGSEGV as a sign that it
        > reached the end of allocated memory. Unfortunately it assumes that the
        > host application will not want to handle SIGSEGV itself. If the
        > application receives genuine SIGSEGV it will follow the normal
        > procedure with "core dumped" etc..

        I do not think it's guaranteed one can recover from a SIGSEGV. Or that
        you always get a SIGSEGV when accessing memory that doesn't exist,
        e.g. when running valgrind. Thus that's a problem in MzScheme.

        44. Your friends no longer send you e-mail...they just log on to your IRC
        channel.

      • Sergey Khorev
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 20, 2012
          > Yes, autoconf has run. As I said, I don't see MZSCHEME_GENERATE_BASE
          > defined in the configure script anywhere.

          I tested this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10.
          Speaking of the error message, it specifically refers to MinGW because
          I wasn't able to write anything more or less automatic for MinGW. On
          Unix systems this is handled like below.

          auto/configure:
          ---
          if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/lib/plt/collects; then
          SCHEME_COLLECTS=lib/plt/
          else
          if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/lib/racket/collects; then
          SCHEME_COLLECTS=lib/racket/
          else
          if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/share/racket/collects; then
          SCHEME_COLLECTS=share/racket/
          fi
          fi
          fi
          if test -f "${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/${SCHEME_COLLECTS}collects/scheme/base.ss"
          ; then
          MZSCHEME_EXTRA="mzscheme_base.c"
          else
          if test -f
          "${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/${SCHEME_COLLECTS}collects/scheme/base.rkt"
          ; then
          MZSCHEME_EXTRA="mzscheme_base.c"
          fi
          fi
          if test "X$MZSCHEME_EXTRA" != "X" ; then
          dnl need to generate bytecode for MzScheme base
          MZSCHEME_CFLAGS="${MZSCHEME_CFLAGS} -DINCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE"
          MZSCHEME_MZC="${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/bin/mzc"
          fi
          ---

          and then this code in Makefile is triggered with
          -DINCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE making it include mzscheme_base.c
          ---
          objects/if_mzsch.o: if_mzsch.c $(MZSCHEME_EXTRA)
          $(CCC) -o $@ $(MZSCHEME_CFLAGS_EXTRA) if_mzsch.c

          mzscheme_base.c:
          $(MZSCHEME_MZC) --c-mods mzscheme_base.c ++lib scheme/base
          ---

          >> > -#ifdef SIGSEGV
          >> > +#if defined(SIGSEGV) && !defined(FEAT_MZSCHEME)
          >> > + /* MzScheme uses SEGV in its garbage collector */
          >> > {SIGSEGV, "SEGV", TRUE},
          >> > #endif
          >> > How can a garbage collector use SEGV and still handle real errors
          >> > properly? With this change a SEGV would trigger the garbage collector
          >> > and then what? Crash-loop?
          >>
          >> When GC traverses heap or stack, it uses SIGSEGV as a sign that it
          >> reached the end of allocated memory. Unfortunately it assumes that the
          >> host application will not want to handle SIGSEGV itself. If the
          >> application receives genuine SIGSEGV it will follow the normal
          >> procedure with "core dumped" etc..
          >
          > I do not think it's guaranteed one can recover from a SIGSEGV. Or that
          > you always get a SIGSEGV when accessing memory that doesn't exist,
          > e.g. when running valgrind. Thus that's a problem in MzScheme.

          Beside reference counting, there are lots of different GC algorithms.
          Actually even Boehm GC may use SIGSEGV when traversing memory.

        • Tim Brown
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2012

            On 21 Nov 2012 04:17, "Sergey Khorev" <sergey.khorev@gmail.com> wrote:

            > Bram wrote:
            > > I do not think it's guaranteed one can recover from a SIGSEGV.  Or that
            > > you always get a SIGSEGV when accessing memory that doesn't exist,
            > > e.g. when running valgrind.  Thus that's a problem in MzScheme.
            >
            > Beside reference counting, there are lots of different GC algorithms.
            > Actually even Boehm GC may use SIGSEGV when traversing memory.

            I can vouch for that. The Solaris memory debugging tools have to be told to ignore SEGV when using the Boehm GC, which apparently use this mechanism, and recovers from it every time... (otherwise it signals on pretty well the first mallocation - busting the tools).

            Tim

          • Tim Brown
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2012
              Sergey, are you testing this on Racket-5 (5.3 series, 5.3.1 November 2012)?

              Tim

              --
              | Tim Brown <tim.brown@...> | M:+44(0)7771714159 | H:+44(0)1372747875 |

            • Sergey Khorev
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21, 2012
                > Sergey, are you testing this on Racket-5 (5.3 series, 5.3.1 November 2012)?

                Hi Tim, most of the time I tested it with 5.2.1 but did some checks on
                5.3.1 too.

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 22, 2012
                  Sergey Khorev wrote:

                  > > Yes, autoconf has run. As I said, I don't see MZSCHEME_GENERATE_BASE
                  > > defined in the configure script anywhere.
                  >
                  > I tested this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10.
                  > Speaking of the error message, it specifically refers to MinGW because
                  > I wasn't able to write anything more or less automatic for MinGW. On
                  > Unix systems this is handled like below.
                  >
                  > auto/configure:
                  > ---
                  > if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/lib/plt/collects; then
                  > SCHEME_COLLECTS=lib/plt/
                  > else
                  > if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/lib/racket/collects; then
                  > SCHEME_COLLECTS=lib/racket/
                  > else
                  > if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/share/racket/collects; then
                  > SCHEME_COLLECTS=share/racket/
                  > fi
                  > fi
                  > fi
                  > if test -f "${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/${SCHEME_COLLECTS}collects/scheme/base.ss"
                  > ; then
                  > MZSCHEME_EXTRA="mzscheme_base.c"
                  > else
                  > if test -f
                  > "${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/${SCHEME_COLLECTS}collects/scheme/base.rkt"
                  > ; then
                  > MZSCHEME_EXTRA="mzscheme_base.c"
                  > fi
                  > fi
                  > if test "X$MZSCHEME_EXTRA" != "X" ; then
                  > dnl need to generate bytecode for MzScheme base
                  > MZSCHEME_CFLAGS="${MZSCHEME_CFLAGS} -DINCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE"
                  > MZSCHEME_MZC="${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/bin/mzc"
                  > fi
                  > ---
                  >
                  > and then this code in Makefile is triggered with
                  > -DINCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE making it include mzscheme_base.c
                  > ---
                  > objects/if_mzsch.o: if_mzsch.c $(MZSCHEME_EXTRA)
                  > $(CCC) -o $@ $(MZSCHEME_CFLAGS_EXTRA) if_mzsch.c
                  >
                  > mzscheme_base.c:
                  > $(MZSCHEME_MZC) --c-mods mzscheme_base.c ++lib scheme/base
                  > ---

                  Configure never defines INCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE, right? Thus in this
                  code:

                  /* need to put it here for dynamic stuff to work */
                  #if defined(INCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE)
                  # include "mzscheme_base.c"
                  #elif MZSCHEME_VERSION_MAJOR >= 400
                  # error MzScheme 4.x must include mzscheme_base.c, for MinGW32 you need to define MZSCHEME_GENERATE_BASE=yes
                  #endif

                  When MZSCHEME_VERSION_MAJOR is 400 or larger, it will fail.

                  What MzScheme pacakge do you have installed? I could not find anything
                  for "mzscheme" so I installed plt-scheme with racket, version 5.2.1

                  54. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. :-)

                • Sergey Khorev
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 22, 2012
                    >> > Yes, autoconf has run. As I said, I don't see MZSCHEME_GENERATE_BASE
                    >> > defined in the configure script anywhere.
                    >>
                    >> I tested this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10.
                    >> Speaking of the error message, it specifically refers to MinGW because
                    >> I wasn't able to write anything more or less automatic for MinGW. On
                    >> Unix systems this is handled like below.
                    >>
                    >> auto/configure:
                    >> ---
                    >> if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/lib/plt/collects; then
                    >> SCHEME_COLLECTS=lib/plt/
                    >> else
                    >> if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/lib/racket/collects; then
                    >> SCHEME_COLLECTS=lib/racket/
                    >> else
                    >> if test -d $vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx/share/racket/collects; then
                    >> SCHEME_COLLECTS=share/racket/
                    >> fi
                    >> fi
                    >> fi
                    >> if test -f "${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/${SCHEME_COLLECTS}collects/scheme/base.ss"
                    >> ; then
                    >> MZSCHEME_EXTRA="mzscheme_base.c"
                    >> else
                    >> if test -f
                    >> "${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/${SCHEME_COLLECTS}collects/scheme/base.rkt"
                    >> ; then
                    >> MZSCHEME_EXTRA="mzscheme_base.c"
                    >> fi
                    >> fi
                    >> if test "X$MZSCHEME_EXTRA" != "X" ; then
                    >> dnl need to generate bytecode for MzScheme base
                    >> MZSCHEME_CFLAGS="${MZSCHEME_CFLAGS} -DINCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE"
                    >> MZSCHEME_MZC="${vi_cv_path_mzscheme_pfx}/bin/mzc"
                    >> fi
                    >> ---
                    >>
                    >> and then this code in Makefile is triggered with
                    >> -DINCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE making it include mzscheme_base.c
                    >> ---
                    >> objects/if_mzsch.o: if_mzsch.c $(MZSCHEME_EXTRA)
                    >> $(CCC) -o $@ $(MZSCHEME_CFLAGS_EXTRA) if_mzsch.c
                    >>
                    >> mzscheme_base.c:
                    >> $(MZSCHEME_MZC) --c-mods mzscheme_base.c ++lib scheme/base
                    >> ---
                    >
                    > Configure never defines INCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE, right? Thus in this
                    > code:
                    >
                    > /* need to put it here for dynamic stuff to work */
                    > #if defined(INCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE)
                    > # include "mzscheme_base.c"
                    > #elif MZSCHEME_VERSION_MAJOR >= 400
                    > # error MzScheme 4.x must include mzscheme_base.c, for MinGW32 you need to define MZSCHEME_GENERATE_BASE=yes
                    > #endif
                    >

                    > When MZSCHEME_VERSION_MAJOR is 400 or larger, it will fail.
                    >
                    > What MzScheme pacakge do you have installed? I could not find anything
                    > for "mzscheme" so I installed plt-scheme with racket, version 5.2.1

                    I installed just racket package. If your installation was upgraded
                    from an earlier version, can you check if you still have
                    /usr/lib/racket/collects directory? At some point in time, Debian
                    changed collects directory from /usr/lib/racket/collects to
                    /usr/share/racket/collects

                    The logic of configure is as follows: supposing mzscheme executable
                    was found in {pfx} it tries to check if {pfx}/lib/collects exists. If
                    so, it assumes it is the main directory for collections. Otherwise it
                    tries {pfx}/share/collects.
                    Then it checks if scheme/base.ss or scheme/base.rkt exist. If found,
                    it assumes we need to generate mzscheme_base.c and defines
                    MZSCHEME_EXTRA and adds -DINCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE to MZSCHEME_CFLAGS

                    Apparently it found /usr/lib/racket/collects on your system but the
                    directory is empty.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 23, 2012
                      Sergey Khorev wrote:

> [...]
                      > > for "mzscheme" so I installed plt-scheme with racket, version 5.2.1
                      >
                      > I installed just racket package. If your installation was upgraded
                      > from an earlier version, can you check if you still have
                      > /usr/lib/racket/collects directory? At some point in time, Debian
                      > changed collects directory from /usr/lib/racket/collects to
                      > /usr/share/racket/collects
                      >
                      > The logic of configure is as follows: supposing mzscheme executable
                      > was found in {pfx} it tries to check if {pfx}/lib/collects exists. If
                      > so, it assumes it is the main directory for collections. Otherwise it
                      > tries {pfx}/share/collects.
                      > Then it checks if scheme/base.ss or scheme/base.rkt exist. If found,
                      > it assumes we need to generate mzscheme_base.c and defines
                      > MZSCHEME_EXTRA and adds -DINCLUDE_MZSCHEME_BASE to MZSCHEME_CFLAGS
                      >
                      > Apparently it found /usr/lib/racket/collects on your system but the

                      No, the directory is /share/collects. Configure doesn't find it. I
                      have changed configure.in and now it seems to work. I'll do some more
                      checks and send out the patch.

                      --
                      Keyboard not found. Think ENTER to continue.

                    • Sergey Khorev
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 23, 2012
                        > No, the directory is /share/collects. Configure doesn't find it. I
                        > have changed configure.in and now it seems to work. I'll do some more
                        > checks and send out the patch.

                        Thanks. Your variant worked for me as well.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 23, 2013
                          Sergey -

                          You sent me a patch two months ago. Did you make an update since then?
                          Please send me the patch again to make sure it works with the current
                          source code.

                          - Bram

                          --
                          FATHER: Did you kill all those guards?
                          LAUNCELOT: Yes ... I'm very sorry ...

                        • Sergey Khorev
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 28, 2013
                            Hi Bram

                            On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                            You sent me a patch two months ago.  Did you make an update since then?
                            Please send me the patch again to make sure it works with the current
                            source code.

                            Here is an updated patch. As of another issue with messages on stderr when Vim creates a process, this will be fixed in later Racket versions.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 28, 2013
                              Sergey Khorev wrote:

                              > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > You sent me a patch two months ago. Did you make an update since then?
                              > > Please send me the patch again to make sure it works with the current
                              > > source code.
                              >

                              > Here is an updated patch. As of another issue with messages on stderr when
                              > Vim creates a process, this will be fixed in later Racket versions.

                              Thanks. I'll try out this patch soon.

                              --
                              ARTHUR: Be quiet!
                              DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 30, 2013
                                Sergey Khorev wrote:

                                > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > You sent me a patch two months ago. Did you make an update since then?
                                > > Please send me the patch again to make sure it works with the current
                                > > source code.
                                >

                                > Here is an updated patch. As of another issue with messages on stderr when
                                > Vim creates a process, this will be fixed in later Racket versions.

                                I have now included the patch and will send it out. I can't possibly
                                verify this works, other than building and testing on my computer.

                                Test 70 fails. I worked around it for now by changing:

                                :if l2[2] == l2

                                :if l2[2] == "item2"

                                Please find out what the proper solution is.

                                --
                                -rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
                                -rwxr-xr-t 4 root 131720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi

                              • Sergey Khorev
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 30, 2013
                                  Test 70 fails.  I worked around it for now by changing:

                                          :if l2[2] == l2

                                          :if l2[2] == "item2"

                                  Please find out what the proper solution is.

                                  Thanks Bram. Will check it out.

                                • Sergey Khorev
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 31, 2013
                                    Bram,

                                    Test 70 fails.  I worked around it for now by changing:

                                            :if l2[2] == l2

                                            :if l2[2] == "item2"

                                    This was caused by a part of patch from Eric Dobson. I restricted the scope of this change to Mac only and test 70 has passed on Linux and Windows.
                                    Please find the patch attached.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 31, 2013
                                      Sergey Khorev wrote:

                                      > >> Test 70 fails. I worked around it for now by changing:
                                      > >>
                                      > >> :if l2[2] == l2

                                      > >> :if l2[2] == "item2"
                                      > >>

                                      > This was caused by a part of patch from Eric Dobson. I restricted the scope
                                      > of this change to Mac only and test 70 has passed on Linux and Windows.
                                      > Please find the patch attached.

                                      Thanks for the fix. I'm glad a test caught the problem.

                                      --
                                      Mental Floss prevents moral decay!