RE: Vim patches page link is broken

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
      John Beckett wrote:

      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >> Bram: Do you want me to remove the "Other Vim patches"
      > >> section from [1] (and email you when done)? I don't think the
      > >> list was established elsewhere, so it needs to be removed?
      > >
      > > I thought we copied the patches to somewhere...
      > >
      > > If we don't have this list somewhere I think we should delete
      > > that section. Let me know if you have an update for the file.
      >
      > You and I exchanged a couple of emails in April 2011 around the
      > time the Google Groups page with the patches was closed down.
      > I suggested putting the patch list on the Vim Tips wiki (which is
      > maintained so junk edits are removed, and which would allow
      > people to update the information without requiring a vim.org
      > manager to edit the html at vim.org). You did not seem to favour
      > that idea, and said that we should add any information that was
      > on the removed pages to vim.org, unless it's already there.
      > I'm not aware of anything being done at vim.org.
      >
      > The chain of links a reader of the mailing list might follow is:
      >
      > At the first of these, "About this group" goes to the second:
      > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use
      > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/about
      >
      > Which says "See http://www.vim.org/maillist.php for information
      > on this group".
      >
      > The sidebar download link on each vim.org page goes to:
      > http://www.vim.org/download.php
      >
      > "Patches Include the latest improvements" has link to:
      > http://www.vim.org/patches.php
      >
      > That page has a section on "Other Vim patches" with a link to
      > the vim_dev page that no longer exists.
      >
      > Please say what you prefer now:
      >
      > 1. Put the patch list on the wiki; link to that from
      > vim.org/patches.php
      >
      > 2. Replace the "Other Vim patches" section at
      > vim.org/patches.php with the list of patches.
      >
      > 3. Put the patch list on some other vim.org page such as
      > vim.org/unofficial.php
      > Link to that from vim.org/patches.php
      >
      > I'll do any of the above, or something else, if wanted (and
      > would post an update here, and directly email Bram if he does
      > not notice the post).

      One can already create a tip that points to a patch. There is nothing
      against that, it's just that there is no index of patches. And someone
      has to store the patch at some URL. There are plenty of places
      available, thus that can't be a problem.

      We could change the patches.php page to link to a list of search results
      in the Vim tips, but that's hardly useful.

      Scripts may also require a patch to be included. It's similar to
      referring to a patch from a tip.

      Let's at least delete the broken link now.

      --
      I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
      -- Michael Davis -- "Tonight Show"