Functions with [range] do not preserve the cursor line

  • So8res
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 19, 2012
      I think functions with [range] should preserve the cursor line. Assume you have:

      function RangeTest() range
      echo line('.')
      endfunction

      And you put the cursor on line 2 and :%call RangeTest()

      This function will echo 1, because the cursor is moved to the beginning of the range *before* entering the function.

      I was attempting to create a function which does a search-replace (:s) without moving the cursor (using winsaveview() and winrestview()). It turns out this is not possible, because the cursor is moved before winsaveview() can be called.

      Is this the intended behavior, or is it a bug? If it's intended, is there a way to save the winview before entering a function with [range]?

    • So8res
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 11, 2013
        On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:13:17 AM UTC-8, So8res wrote:

        > > I don't like "stay", but can't think of something better right now.
        > >
        > > Perhaps "keepline"?
        > >

        > How do you feel about using 'range!' (with a bang) instead?
        >
        > It would keep the :function argument space more concise, and would only be usable with 'range', both of which are nice. However, there's no precedent (that I can find) for command arguments having bangs.

        Any word on getting a variant of range functions that don't move the cursorline? This still bites me occasionally.