Feature request: allow substitute to take i and I flags

  • So8res
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
      The substitute() function already can take the 'g' flag which causes the substitution to be global. There's no way to force the search to be case (in)sensitive, though. This means that plugins must either save & restore ignorecase before using substitute() or be OK with the case sensitivity of their substitutions changing at the user's whim.

      Is there a good reason why substitute() doesn't already take the i/I flags?

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
        Hi So8res!

        On Mo, 19 Nov 2012, So8res wrote:

        > The substitute() function already can take the 'g' flag which causes
        > the substitution to be global. There's no way to force the search to
        > be case (in)sensitive, though. This means that plugins must either
        > save & restore ignorecase before using substitute() or be OK with the
        > case sensitivity of their substitutions changing at the user's whim.
        >
        > Is there a good reason why substitute() doesn't already take the i/I
        > flags?

        It should probably be documented. Other then that, the \c and \C atoms
        work. See :h \c

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Takt ist, wenn man's genau betrachtet, eine Art von Hellseherei.
        -- S. O. Jewett

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2012
          Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > On Mo, 19 Nov 2012, So8res wrote:
          >
          > > The substitute() function already can take the 'g' flag which causes
          > > the substitution to be global. There's no way to force the search to
          > > be case (in)sensitive, though. This means that plugins must either
          > > save & restore ignorecase before using substitute() or be OK with the
          > > case sensitivity of their substitutions changing at the user's whim.
          > >
          > > Is there a good reason why substitute() doesn't already take the i/I
          > > flags?
          >
          > It should probably be documented. Other then that, the \c and \C atoms
          > work. See :h \c

          The docs says it uses 'ignorecase' but doesn't say how to ignore it.
          I'll add a remark about how \c or \C can ignore 'ignorecase'. :-)

          --
          It is hard to understand how a cemetery raised its burial
          cost and blamed it on the cost of living.