Re: Implementation of script support for non-uniform tabstops

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hi Lech!

      On Mo, 19 Nov 2012, Lech Lorens wrote:

      > On 19 November 2012 18:02, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
      > > On Mon, November 19, 2012 17:21, Matthew Winn wrote:
      > >> I implemented a patch to do this a few years ago, when I was out of
      > >> work and decided to grab something off the TODO list to keep me busy.
      > >> (It's since been taken over by someone else.) During the initial
      > >> discussion it was decided that it wasn't a good idea to have multiple
      > >> values in the "tabstop" option in case someone tried to treat its
      > >> value as a number, so I eventually settled on "vartabstop" as the name
      > >> of the option.
      > >
      > > Thanks for your work. Are you still maintaining this patch? Or where can
      > > one find the latest patch. I found one patch against Vim 7.1 I think,
      > > but I figured, it probably doesn't apply anymore and it was pretty big.
      >
      > It might be me that Matt is referring to as a person that took over
      > maintaining the feature. In fact I only updated the patch to be
      > applicable to the source code of Vim as of 2010. Look for the branch
      > called feat/var-tabstops in vim_extended at repo.or.cz:
      > http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_extended.git

      I thought that Repo was closed by Markus some time ago. Anyhow, at a
      first look, it looks like it is still active (although unmaintained),
      but it seems to be seriously broken, at least I get a lot of

      404 Not Found - Missing one of the blob diff parameters

      errors.

      regards,
      Christian

    • Lech Lorens
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 19, 2012
        On 19 November 2012 19:50, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
        > Hi Lech!
        >
        > On Mo, 19 Nov 2012, Lech Lorens wrote:
        >> It might be me that Matt is referring to as a person that took over
        >> maintaining the feature. In fact I only updated the patch to be
        >> applicable to the source code of Vim as of 2010. Look for the branch
        >> called feat/var-tabstops in vim_extended at repo.or.cz:
        >> http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_extended.git
        >
        > I thought that Repo was closed by Markus some time ago. Anyhow, at a
        > first look, it looks like it is still active (although unmaintained),
        > but it seems to be seriously broken, at least I get a lot of
        >
        > 404 Not Found - Missing one of the blob diff parameters
        >
        > errors.
        >
        > regards,
        > Christian

        Hi Christian,

        I guess this is a problem with the web interface at repo.or.cz, not
        with the git repository itself. I cloned the repository without any
        problems from git://repo.or.cz/vim_extended.git

        Cheers,
        Lech

      • Nick Gravgaard
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 19, 2012
          On Mon, Nov 19, 2012, at 16:21, Matthew Winn wrote:
          > On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:28:19 -0800 (PST), Ben Fritz
          > <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          >
          > > 1. Implement variable-width tabstops by allowing a comma-separated list to be used as a value for 'tabstop'. For example, setting ts=4,2,8 would have the first tab in the line stop at column 4, the next stop at column 6, and all other tabs stop at 14, 22, 30, ...
          >
          > I implemented a patch to do this a few years ago, when I was out of
          > work and decided to grab something off the TODO list to keep me busy.
          > (It's since been taken over by someone else.) During the initial
          > discussion it was decided that it wasn't a good idea to have multiple
          > values in the "tabstop" option in case someone tried to treat its
          > value as a number

          Was this the reason for this feature not making it into the official
          version of Vim? If so, is there another way to remain backwards
          compatible with stuff that expects its value to be a number?