Vim patches page link is broken

  • So8res
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
      On the vim patches page [1] the link to vim_dev mailinglist patches [2] is broken.

      More generally, where should such website bugs be reported and how are they fixed?

      [1] http://www.vim.org/patches.php
      [2] https://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
        So8res wrote:
        > On the vim patches page [1] the link to vim_dev mailinglist
        > patches [2] is broken.
        >
        > More generally, where should such website bugs be reported
        > and how are they fixed?
        >
        > [1] http://www.vim.org/patches.php
        > [2] https://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches

        Thanks, reporting vim.org problems here is good, or direct to
        Bram, or direct to me and I will arrange with Bram.

        Bram: Do you want me to remove the "Other Vim patches" section
        from [1] (and email you when done)? I don't think the list was
        established elsewhere, so it needs to be removed?

        John

      • Sergey Khorev
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
          > Thanks, reporting vim.org problems here is good, or direct to
          >
          > Bram, or direct to me and I will arrange with Bram.

          Speaking of the site, does it also make sense to remove tip search in "Search for Vim Tips" section? Probably a link to the wiki would be enough.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
            John Beckett wrote:

            > So8res wrote:
            > > On the vim patches page [1] the link to vim_dev mailinglist
            > > patches [2] is broken.
            > >
            > > More generally, where should such website bugs be reported
            > > and how are they fixed?
            > >
            > > [1] http://www.vim.org/patches.php
            > > [2] https://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
            >
            > Thanks, reporting vim.org problems here is good, or direct to
            > Bram, or direct to me and I will arrange with Bram.
            >
            > Bram: Do you want me to remove the "Other Vim patches" section
            > from [1] (and email you when done)? I don't think the list was
            > established elsewhere, so it needs to be removed?

            I thought we copied the patches to somewhere...

            If we don't have this list somewhere I think we should delete that
            section. Let me know if you have an update for the file.

            --
            Portable Computer: A device invented to force businessmen
            to work at home, on vacation, and on business trips.

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >> Bram: Do you want me to remove the "Other Vim patches"
              >> section from [1] (and email you when done)? I don't think the
              >> list was established elsewhere, so it needs to be removed?
              >
              > I thought we copied the patches to somewhere...
              >
              > If we don't have this list somewhere I think we should delete
              > that section. Let me know if you have an update for the file.

              You and I exchanged a couple of emails in April 2011 around the
              time the Google Groups page with the patches was closed down.
              I suggested putting the patch list on the Vim Tips wiki (which is
              maintained so junk edits are removed, and which would allow
              people to update the information without requiring a vim.org
              manager to edit the html at vim.org). You did not seem to favour
              that idea, and said that we should add any information that was
              on the removed pages to vim.org, unless it's already there.
              I'm not aware of anything being done at vim.org.

              The chain of links a reader of the mailing list might follow is:

              At the first of these, "About this group" goes to the second:
              http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use
              http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/about

              Which says "See http://www.vim.org/maillist.php for information
              on this group".

              The sidebar download link on each vim.org page goes to:
              http://www.vim.org/download.php

              "Patches Include the latest improvements" has link to:
              http://www.vim.org/patches.php

              That page has a section on "Other Vim patches" with a link to
              the vim_dev page that no longer exists.

              Please say what you prefer now:

              1. Put the patch list on the wiki; link to that from
              vim.org/patches.php

              2. Replace the "Other Vim patches" section at
              vim.org/patches.php with the list of patches.

              3. Put the patch list on some other vim.org page such as
              vim.org/unofficial.php
              Link to that from vim.org/patches.php

              I'll do any of the above, or something else, if wanted (and
              would post an update here, and directly email Bram if he does
              not notice the post).

              John

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
                John Beckett wrote:

                > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > >> Bram: Do you want me to remove the "Other Vim patches"
                > >> section from [1] (and email you when done)? I don't think the
                > >> list was established elsewhere, so it needs to be removed?
                > >
                > > I thought we copied the patches to somewhere...
                > >
                > > If we don't have this list somewhere I think we should delete
                > > that section. Let me know if you have an update for the file.
                >
                > You and I exchanged a couple of emails in April 2011 around the
                > time the Google Groups page with the patches was closed down.
                > I suggested putting the patch list on the Vim Tips wiki (which is
                > maintained so junk edits are removed, and which would allow
                > people to update the information without requiring a vim.org
                > manager to edit the html at vim.org). You did not seem to favour
                > that idea, and said that we should add any information that was
                > on the removed pages to vim.org, unless it's already there.
                > I'm not aware of anything being done at vim.org.
                >
                > The chain of links a reader of the mailing list might follow is:
                >
                > At the first of these, "About this group" goes to the second:
                > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use
                > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/about
                >
                > Which says "See http://www.vim.org/maillist.php for information
                > on this group".
                >
                > The sidebar download link on each vim.org page goes to:
                > http://www.vim.org/download.php
                >
                > "Patches Include the latest improvements" has link to:
                > http://www.vim.org/patches.php
                >
                > That page has a section on "Other Vim patches" with a link to
                > the vim_dev page that no longer exists.
                >
                > Please say what you prefer now:
                >
                > 1. Put the patch list on the wiki; link to that from
                > vim.org/patches.php
                >
                > 2. Replace the "Other Vim patches" section at
                > vim.org/patches.php with the list of patches.
                >
                > 3. Put the patch list on some other vim.org page such as
                > vim.org/unofficial.php
                > Link to that from vim.org/patches.php
                >
                > I'll do any of the above, or something else, if wanted (and
                > would post an update here, and directly email Bram if he does
                > not notice the post).

                One can already create a tip that points to a patch. There is nothing
                against that, it's just that there is no index of patches. And someone
                has to store the patch at some URL. There are plenty of places
                available, thus that can't be a problem.

                We could change the patches.php page to link to a list of search results
                in the Vim tips, but that's hardly useful.

                Scripts may also require a patch to be included. It's similar to
                referring to a patch from a tip.

                Let's at least delete the broken link now.

                --
                I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
                -- Michael Davis -- "Tonight Show"