Re: Issue 93 in vim: Mr. Campbell, please maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

  • vim@googlecode.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 16, 2012
      Comment #2 on issue 93 by jasonspiro4@...: Mr. Campbell, please
      maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

      Thanks for your response Tony.

      I wanted the bleeding-edge Zip plugin in order to create a one-line patch
      against. I have since emailed the patch to him, and he merged it,
      yesterday.

      In most open-source projects, bleeding-edge code is kept in the source
      repository's "trunk" branch, and that more-stable code is in another
      branch. It's confusing to outsiders that Vim development works
      differently. Why _does_ it work differently?

      Kind regards,
      --Jason

    • vim@googlecode.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 16, 2012
        Comment #3 on issue 93 by antoine....@...: Mr. Campbell, please
        maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

        I'm not sure. Maybe in part by following what happened before there was a
        public distributed source management system. The code on the Mercurial
        repository is the code that Bram is ready to make public. At the moment,
        that means a "default" branch for the 7.3 code, which is the only branch
        with visible "serious" development, and some other ("dead") branches for
        obsolete versions. I expect that the repository will fork again when there
        will be a 7.4 alpha or 8.0 alpha open for public testing. Following what
        other projects do and how Mercurial what conceived, a 7.3 branch should be
        named at that point, and the default branch should become the new
        bleeding-edge code. But I don't know if Bram will see things that way.

      • vim@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
          Updates:

          Comment #4 on issue 93 by drc...@...: Mr. Campbell, please
          maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

          Since I don't have write access to Mercurial's branch, and since I prefer
          my current method, anyway (go to
          http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html to find my "bleeding edge"
          versions of plugins and syntax that I maintain), I think this issue should
          be closed.