Issue 93 in vim: Mr. Campbell, please maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

  • vim@googlecode.com
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 93 by jasonspiro4@...: Mr. Campbell, please maintain netrw,
      zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

      To: Charles Campbell

      Dear Mr. Campbell,

      Thank you for all your contributions to the Vim community. I wonder:
      could you please maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial
      repository?

    • vim@googlecode.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
        Comment #1 on issue 93 by antoine....@...: Mr. Campbell, please
        maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

        Pushes to the Mercurial repository for Vim are done exclusively by Bram
        Moolenaar and no one else. Dr. Charles "Chip" Campbell maintains his
        plugins and publishes advance versions on his "astronaut" site, then he
        sends "stable" versions to Bram.

        A number of runtime files were updated on the Mercurial repository about
        two hours before you opened this issue, including some for Dr. Chip's netrw
        and syntax/vim.vim plugins. Did you pull them?

      • vim@googlecode.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16, 2012
          Comment #2 on issue 93 by jasonspiro4@...: Mr. Campbell, please
          maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

          Thanks for your response Tony.

          I wanted the bleeding-edge Zip plugin in order to create a one-line patch
          against. I have since emailed the patch to him, and he merged it,
          yesterday.

          In most open-source projects, bleeding-edge code is kept in the source
          repository's "trunk" branch, and that more-stable code is in another
          branch. It's confusing to outsiders that Vim development works
          differently. Why _does_ it work differently?

          Kind regards,
          --Jason

        • vim@googlecode.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 16, 2012
            Comment #3 on issue 93 by antoine....@...: Mr. Campbell, please
            maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

            I'm not sure. Maybe in part by following what happened before there was a
            public distributed source management system. The code on the Mercurial
            repository is the code that Bram is ready to make public. At the moment,
            that means a "default" branch for the 7.3 code, which is the only branch
            with visible "serious" development, and some other ("dead") branches for
            obsolete versions. I expect that the repository will fork again when there
            will be a 7.4 alpha or 8.0 alpha open for public testing. Following what
            other projects do and how Mercurial what conceived, a 7.3 branch should be
            named at that point, and the default branch should become the new
            bleeding-edge code. But I don't know if Bram will see things that way.

          • vim@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
              Updates:

              Comment #4 on issue 93 by drc...@...: Mr. Campbell, please
              maintain netrw, zip, Man, and vimball in Vim's Mercurial repository

              Since I don't have write access to Mercurial's branch, and since I prefer
              my current method, anyway (go to
              http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html to find my "bleeding edge"
              versions of plugins and syntax that I maintain), I think this issue should
              be closed.