Compiling vim in windows 8 with visual studio 12

  • skeept
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2012
      Could anyone successfully compile vim in windows 8 with visual studio 12?

      I just installed the system yesterday, and I was trying to compile vim but I am having issues.

      These are the steps:
      first setting up the variables:
      call "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\vcvarsx86_amd64.bat"

      then
      nmake -f Make_mvc.mak CPU=AMD64 GUI=yes

      this stops with the error:
      Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 11.00.50727.1

      Make_mvc.mak(236) : fatal error U1052: file 'Win32.mak' not found
      Stop.

      I searched and found out that in windows 7 this file was under:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Include\Win32.Mak

      but with this in windows 8 I cannot find the file in the same folder (the folder doesn't exist anymore).

      Any idea on how to solve this?

      Thanks!

    • skeept
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2012
        On Friday, November 9, 2012 5:39:32 PM UTC-5, skeept wrote:
        > Could anyone successfully compile vim in windows 8 with visual studio 12?
        >
        > I just installed the system yesterday, and I was trying to compile vim but I am having issues.
        >
        > These are the steps:
        > first setting up the variables:
        > call "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\vcvarsx86_amd64.bat"
        >
        > then
        > nmake -f Make_mvc.mak CPU=AMD64 GUI=yes
        >
        > this stops with the error:
        > Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 11.00.50727.1
        > Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
        >
        > Make_mvc.mak(236) : fatal error U1052: file 'Win32.mak' not found
        > Stop.
        >

        > I searched and found out that in windows 7 this file was under:
        > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Include\Win32.Mak
        >
        > but with this in windows 8 I cannot find the file in the same folder (the folder doesn't exist anymore).
        >
        > Any idea on how to solve this?
        >
        > Thanks!

        Copying the mentioned file from the old location to vim source fixes this, should have thought of that before!

        Regards.

      • Xavier Wang
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
          Hi skeept,

          can you give me a Win32.mak of Windows SDK 7? I only have Windows SDK
          8 and VC2012 Express installed. and I can not build Vim with it.

          how can I pass it without this file? can Bram make a patch to workaround it?

          2012/11/10 skeept <skeept@...>:
          > On Friday, November 9, 2012 5:39:32 PM UTC-5, skeept wrote:
          >> Could anyone successfully compile vim in windows 8 with visual studio 12?
          >>
          >> I just installed the system yesterday, and I was trying to compile vim but I am having issues.
          >>
          >> These are the steps:
          >> first setting up the variables:
          >> call "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\vcvarsx86_amd64.bat"
          >>
          >> then
          >> nmake -f Make_mvc.mak CPU=AMD64 GUI=yes
          >>
          >> this stops with the error:
          >> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 11.00.50727.1
          >> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
          >>
          >> Make_mvc.mak(236) : fatal error U1052: file 'Win32.mak' not found
          >> Stop.
          >>

          >> I searched and found out that in windows 7 this file was under:
          >> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Include\Win32.Mak
          >>
          >> but with this in windows 8 I cannot find the file in the same folder (the folder doesn't exist anymore).
          >>
          >> Any idea on how to solve this?
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >
          > Copying the mentioned file from the old location to vim source fixes this, should have thought of that before!
          >
          > Regards.
          >
          > --

          regards,
          Xavier Wang.