Re: dependencies between features

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
      On 01/11/12 01:09, Kartik Agaram wrote:
      > I was building vim with python support today, and I noticed that it
      > gives a linker error if multibyte support isn't also enabled. Is that
      > unexpected, or is the usual model to include features and all their
      > dependencies?

      I don't know. Python requiring multibyte sounds strange, but Python
      certainly requires expression evaluation. Maybe there is something in
      the way Vim <=> Python calls are coded which requires UTF-8 or even
      UTF-16le strings (which would require +multi_byte), I don't know.

      +multi_byte is part of the Big featureset. What exactly does that
      contain (in addition to the Normal featureset)? Hm, +arabic
      ++builtin-terms +conceal +cscope +emacs_tags +farsi +keymap +langmap
      +mouse_dec +mouse_netterm +mouse_sgr +multi_byte +rightleft +signs.
      Nothing very obvious AFAICT.

      OTOH I'd think that the Tiny, Normal and Big featuresets have had more
      testing than the rest, with +perl +python etc. usually added to a Big
      (or Huge) build. Which platform (W32, W64, Linux, Mac) are you on? Maybe
      you've found a bug in the way features are enabled or disabled depending
      on each other?

      ARTHUR: Did you say shrubberies?
      ROGER: Yes. Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger
      the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
      PICTURES LTD

    • Kartik Agaram
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
        Thanks, Tony. It seems to be because of a call to mb_string2cells in
        if_py_both.h:VimStrWidth. Since python isn't a feature in feature.h
        I'm not sure what to check for to enable FEAT_MBYTE..

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
          On 01/11/12 09:19, Kartik Agaram wrote:
          > Thanks, Tony. It seems to be because of a call to mb_string2cells in
          > if_py_both.h:VimStrWidth. Since python isn't a feature in feature.h
          > I'm not sure what to check for to enable FEAT_MBYTE..

          A little searching in the source gives:

          FEAT_PYTHON
          Python2 interface
          FEAT_PYTHON3
          Python3 interface
          DYNAMIC_PYTHON
          Python2 support is dynamic
          DYNAMIC_PYTHON3
          Python3 support is dynamic

          Cscope tells me that there are 54 lines (in buffer.c, eval.c,
          ex_docmd.c, globals.h, if_python.c, if_python3.c, main.c, proto.h,
          structs.h, version.c, vim.h and window.c) which refer to at least one of
          these. They are defined (or not) by auto/config.h (at least on Linux,
          once configure has run).

          If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for
          tomorrow morning, sleep late.
          -- Henny Youngman

        • Ken Takata
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
            Hi Kartik,

            2012/11/01 Thu 17:20:14 UTC+9 Kartik Agaram:
            > Thanks, Tony. It seems to be because of a call to mb_string2cells in
            >
            > if_py_both.h:VimStrWidth. Since python isn't a feature in feature.h
            >
            > I'm not sure what to check for to enable FEAT_MBYTE..

            I don't think +python should depends +multi_byte because there are
            patches which fix similar problem (7.3.232 and 7.236).
            This problem seems to be caused by 7.3.569.
            Please try the attached patch.

            Best regards,
            Ken Takata

          • Kartik Agaram
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
              Ah thanks for the investigation! I'm going to run with that patch.