dependencies between features

  • Kartik Agaram
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2012
      I was building vim with python support today, and I noticed that it
      gives a linker error if multibyte support isn't also enabled. Is that
      unexpected, or is the usual model to include features and all their
      dependencies?

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
        On 01/11/12 01:09, Kartik Agaram wrote:
        > I was building vim with python support today, and I noticed that it
        > gives a linker error if multibyte support isn't also enabled. Is that
        > unexpected, or is the usual model to include features and all their
        > dependencies?

        I don't know. Python requiring multibyte sounds strange, but Python
        certainly requires expression evaluation. Maybe there is something in
        the way Vim <=> Python calls are coded which requires UTF-8 or even
        UTF-16le strings (which would require +multi_byte), I don't know.

        +multi_byte is part of the Big featureset. What exactly does that
        contain (in addition to the Normal featureset)? Hm, +arabic
        ++builtin-terms +conceal +cscope +emacs_tags +farsi +keymap +langmap
        +mouse_dec +mouse_netterm +mouse_sgr +multi_byte +rightleft +signs.
        Nothing very obvious AFAICT.

        OTOH I'd think that the Tiny, Normal and Big featuresets have had more
        testing than the rest, with +perl +python etc. usually added to a Big
        (or Huge) build. Which platform (W32, W64, Linux, Mac) are you on? Maybe
        you've found a bug in the way features are enabled or disabled depending
        on each other?

        ARTHUR: Did you say shrubberies?
        ROGER: Yes. Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger
        the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
        PICTURES LTD

      • Kartik Agaram
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
          Thanks, Tony. It seems to be because of a call to mb_string2cells in
          if_py_both.h:VimStrWidth. Since python isn't a feature in feature.h
          I'm not sure what to check for to enable FEAT_MBYTE..

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
            On 01/11/12 09:19, Kartik Agaram wrote:
            > Thanks, Tony. It seems to be because of a call to mb_string2cells in
            > if_py_both.h:VimStrWidth. Since python isn't a feature in feature.h
            > I'm not sure what to check for to enable FEAT_MBYTE..

            A little searching in the source gives:

            FEAT_PYTHON
            Python2 interface
            FEAT_PYTHON3
            Python3 interface
            DYNAMIC_PYTHON
            Python2 support is dynamic
            DYNAMIC_PYTHON3
            Python3 support is dynamic

            Cscope tells me that there are 54 lines (in buffer.c, eval.c,
            ex_docmd.c, globals.h, if_python.c, if_python3.c, main.c, proto.h,
            structs.h, version.c, vim.h and window.c) which refer to at least one of
            these. They are defined (or not) by auto/config.h (at least on Linux,
            once configure has run).

            If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for
            tomorrow morning, sleep late.
            -- Henny Youngman

          • Ken Takata
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
              Hi Kartik,

              2012/11/01 Thu 17:20:14 UTC+9 Kartik Agaram:
              > Thanks, Tony. It seems to be because of a call to mb_string2cells in
              >
              > if_py_both.h:VimStrWidth. Since python isn't a feature in feature.h
              >
              > I'm not sure what to check for to enable FEAT_MBYTE..

              I don't think +python should depends +multi_byte because there are
              patches which fix similar problem (7.3.232 and 7.236).
              This problem seems to be caused by 7.3.569.
              Please try the attached patch.

              Best regards,
              Ken Takata

            • Kartik Agaram
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2012
                Ah thanks for the investigation! I'm going to run with that patch.