Adding a config flag to specify ruby version

  • Anthony DiSanti
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2012
      Because vim is not compatible with ruby 1.9.x, many developers cannot build with ruby support unless they change their system ruby (or use rvm or the like).  This has caused a problem for even basic users of package managers that build from source like brew (see thread here).

      I've tried passing the full path of a compatible ruby to the --with-ruby-command flag, but I get the same build error.  It seems I need to change my system ruby to get the build to complete.  This article explains a workaround by modifying the output config.mk after running config, but I'd prefer to have this exposed through a config flag.  Is this something the community would be open to having added?  Although I've never worked with the vim source, I'd be happy to write the patch myself.  I just want to make sure that the community is open to it before I dive in.

      Thanks,
      Anthony