gVim's internal borders

  • aschneiderg
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2012
      I understand they may result useful in some situations but I found them annoying.

      Replacing WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE with WS_EX_LEFT in gui_w32.c did the trick for the top and left ones, but the bottom one is still there and the right one appears when guifont is set.(image)

      I have no experience in Vim's source yet. Any hints on how this internal borders (which seem to be somehow the same in GTK builds too) are generated ?

      My best regards.

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2012
        I'm not sure I understand what you're annoyed by, but FWIW, my vim-gtk on Linux appears to have a two-pixel internal border, which is coloured using the "Normal" guibg, so is not noticeable. Do you really get that 5 pixel black border?

      • aschneiderg
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2012
          El lunes, 15 de octubre de 2012 03:17:21 UTC-7, John Little escribió:
          > I'm not sure I understand what you're annoyed by, but FWIW, my vim-gtk on Linux appears to have a two-pixel internal border, which is coloured using the "Normal" guibg, so is not noticeable. Do you really get that 5 pixel black border?

          Hello John.

          I am not sure I can see black borders, mine are white (right one and bottom one). I found that on mouse over them the cursor changes to window resize, so there are two resize events I guess. Vim's one and Winblows one.

          When looking at the code, there's different places where this areas are calculated. The bottom one is kind of static, but the right one goes bigger or smaller along with the window size.

          Of course, is an smaller issue, but an issue after all. Where to look in order to do it right ?

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2012
            > I am not sure I can see black borders, mine are white (right one and bottom one). I found that on mouse over them the cursor changes to window resize, so there are two resize events I guess. Vim's one and Winblows one.

            Oops, I view Google groups with colours inverted, (white backgrounds hurt my eyes) and forgot this when I looked at your screenshot.

            So you really do get that border, coloured differently to vim's background colour.

            I've just installed a recent vim on win xp, and I see no vim-specific internal border. So, sorry, I'm no help, I suggest you give details of your OS and vim version and maybe someone with a similar system can help.

            Regards, John

          • aschneiderg
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
              El lunes, 15 de octubre de 2012 20:57:13 UTC-7, John Little escribió:
              > > I am not sure I can see black borders, mine are white (right one and bottom one). I found that on mouse over them the cursor changes to window resize, so there are two resize events I guess. Vim's one and Winblows one.
              >
              > Oops, I view Google groups with colours inverted, (white backgrounds hurt my eyes) and forgot this when I looked at your screenshot.
              >
              > So you really do get that border, coloured differently to vim's background colour.
              >
              > I've just installed a recent vim on win xp, and I see no vim-specific internal border. So, sorry, I'm no help, I suggest you give details of your OS and vim version and maybe someone with a similar system can help.
              >
              > Regards, John

              You are right. The FTP build has a small 2px all around border only (WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE).

              I cloned Bram's repo (7.3.691), called vcvarsx86_amd64.bat only appending GUI=yes and got the bottom/right issue again. Both x86 and 64 builds. No vimrc.

              We are testing Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit / Visual Studio 2012 for our university. Putty, R, and related are compiling just fine. Win7/MVS2010 with the described clean install built the same bottom/right borders. I added :version screenshots.

              My best regards.

            • veegee@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 18, 2013
                On Monday, October 15, 2012 3:43:30 AM UTC-4, aschneiderg wrote:
                > I understand they may result useful in some situations but I found them annoying.
                >
                > Replacing WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE with WS_EX_LEFT in gui_w32.c did the trick for the top and left ones, but the bottom one is still there and the right one appears when guifont is set.(image)
                >
                > I have no experience in Vim's source yet. Any hints on how this internal borders (which seem to be somehow the same in GTK builds too) are generated ?
                >
                > My best regards.

                I only noticed this problem when I compiled my own Vim on Windows 8.

                Solved by running in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

              • aschneiderg
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 18, 2013
                  On Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:52:30 PM UTC-5, vee...@... wrote:
                  > On Monday, October 15, 2012 3:43:30 AM UTC-4, aschneiderg wrote:
                  > > I understand they may result useful in some situations but I found them annoying.
                  > >
                  > > Replacing WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE with WS_EX_LEFT in gui_w32.c did the trick for the top and left ones, but the bottom one is still there and the right one appears when guifont is set.(image)
                  > >
                  > > I have no experience in Vim's source yet. Any hints on how this internal borders (which seem to be somehow the same in GTK builds too) are generated ?
                  > >
                  > > My best regards.
                  >
                  > I only noticed this problem when I compiled my own Vim on Windows 8.
                  >
                  > Solved by running in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

                  Hey there.

                  Are your builds available online ? I would like to check them out.

                  All the best.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 18, 2013
                    On Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:18:22 PM UTC-4, aschneiderg wrote:
                    > Hey there.
                    >
                    > Are your builds available online ? I would like to check them out.
                    >
                    > All the best.

                    Uploaded for you guys. Couldn't find any 64-bit builds myself, might as well save everyone else the trouble. It's also quite a nuisance to build vim (let alone *anything*) on winbloze. Also, I tested build using VS2012 AND VS2010. VS2012 seems to be causing problems with the border, and several other problems including crashes, freezes, missing cursor, etc. VS2010 is building a working executable as expected.

                    Note, this is a 64-bit build, compiled with 64-bit Python33 and Python27 dynamic lib support.

                    Let me know if it gives you any problems.

                    Download: http://solar-blogg.blogspot.ca/2013/04/vim-windows-64-bit-build.html

                  • Ben Fritz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
                      On Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:40:48 PM UTC-5, vee...@... wrote:
                      > On Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:18:22 PM UTC-4, aschneiderg wrote:
                      > > Hey there.
                      > >
                      > > Are your builds available online ? I would like to check them out.
                      > >
                      > > All the best.
                      >
                      > Uploaded for you guys. Couldn't find any 64-bit builds myself, might as well save everyone else the trouble. It's also quite a nuisance to build vim (let alone *anything*) on winbloze.

                      I haven't tried building 64-bit, maybe that's different.

                      But building Vim with MinGW on Windows is easier than Linux. You just download the source, install MinGW, and build. No dependencies to worry about.