Re: vim window clears the terminal history

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31 10:27 PM
      On Friday, August 31, 2012 5:48:41 AM UTC+12, joe M wrote:
      > Just a heads-up to this group, the latest vim build from mercurial is
      > being affected by the below issue.

      Thank you, but you seem to imply that there may be a bug in vim, that could be addressed here. I expect that if there is any bug it is in ncurses, or in the terminfo stuff packaged with rxvt. At least, when the alternate buffer handling works vim is not involved much, maybe just when shelling out. Unless... vim appears not to use the initialization string at all, though I imagine after two decades if that was a problem, someone would have noticed by now.

      Something to try, though:

      vim -T builtin_xterm

      Note that when TERM handling fails, vim falls back to builtin_ansi, which does not use the alternate buffer. If this was your problem, though, I'd expect the E558 error message on vim startup:

      export TERM=foo
      vim

      E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo
      'foo' not known. Available builtin terminals are:
      builtin_gui
      ...<snip>...
      defaulting to 'ansi'

    • joe M
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2012
        On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM, John Little <John.B.Little@...> wrote:
        > On Friday, August 31, 2012 5:48:41 AM UTC+12, joe M wrote:
        >> Just a heads-up to this group, the latest vim build from mercurial is
        >> being affected by the below issue.
        >
        > Thank you, but you seem to imply that there may be a bug in vim, that could be addressed here. I expect that if there is any bug it is in ncurses, or in the terminfo stuff packaged with rxvt. At least, when the alternate buffer handling works vim is not involved much, maybe just when shelling out. Unless... vim appears not to use the initialization string at all, though I imagine after two decades if that was a problem, someone would have noticed by now.
        >
        > Something to try, though:
        >
        > vim -T builtin_xterm
        >
        > Note that when TERM handling fails, vim falls back to builtin_ansi, which does not use the alternate buffer. If this was your problem, though, I'd expect the E558 error message on vim startup:
        >
        > export TERM=foo
        > vim
        >
        > E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo
        > 'foo' not known. Available builtin terminals are:
        > builtin_gui
        > ...<snip>...
        > defaulting to 'ansi'
        >
        > --

        Hello John,

        Thanks for responding.

        > Thank you, but you seem to imply that there may be a bug in vim, that could be addressed here. I expect that if there is any bug it is in ncurses, or in the terminfo stuff packaged with rxvt. At least, when the alternate buffer handling works vim is not involved much, maybe just when shelling out. Unless... vim appears not to use the initialization string at all, though I imagine after two decades if that was a problem, someone would have noticed by now.

        This behaviour is only happening with the latest vim mercurial build
        and urxvt 9.15. This does not seem to be happening with the older vim
        versions. Just a heads-up for the vim folks to watch out for this
        behaviour. I suspect this is more of a bug with urxvt handling that is
        probably coming to the fore now.

        Thanks
        Joe