Re: Building on Windows with XPM

  • tux.
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
      Sergey Khorev schrob am 02. Aug. 2012 um 21:31 Zeit:
      > nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes CSCOPE=yes NETBEANS=yes XPM=e:\hg\xpm

      Ah, I used relative folders. My fault, thanks!

    • Sergey Khorev
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
        > Thanks. I tried and it builds with MSVC 2008. Don't know how to try if
        > it actually works.

        Originally I did it for that Netbeans plugin which for some reason
        used only XPM icons. Commands below will show whether XPM lib is
        working or not:
        :exe 'sign define vimxpm icon='.$VIMRUNTIME.'\\vim32x32.xpm'
        :exe 'sign place 1 line=1 name=vimxpm file='.expand('%:p')

        > Can you give some information about what it was build with? I suppose
        > it only works for 32 bits builds?

        Correct, the binary is 32bit only but it can be built for 64bit
        without any problems. Here are the makefiles:

        Makefile for MSVC:

        ---- snip ----
        src = Attrib.c CrBufFrI.c CrDatFrI.c create.c CrIFrBuf.c CrIFrDat.c \
        data.c hashtab.c Image.c Info.c misc.c RdFToBuf.c RdFToDat.c \
        RdFToI.c rgb.c scan.c simx.c WrFFrBuf.c parse.c \
        WrFFrDat.c WrFFrI.c

        obj = Attrib.obj CrBufFrI.obj CrDatFrI.obj create.obj CrIFrBuf.obj
        CrIFrDat.obj \
        data.obj hashtab.obj Image.obj Info.obj misc.obj RdFToBuf.obj RdFToDat.obj \
        RdFToI.obj rgb.obj scan.obj simx.obj WrFFrBuf.obj parse.obj \
        WrFFrDat.obj WrFFrI.obj

        .c.obj:
        cl -DFOR_MSW /c $<

        target = ..\lib\libXpm.lib

        all: $(target)

        $(target): $(obj)
        lib /out:$(target) $(obj)
        ---- snip ----

        Makefile for MinGW:

        ---- snip ----
        src = Attrib.c CrBufFrI.c CrDatFrI.c create.c CrIFrBuf.c CrIFrDat.c \
        data.c hashtab.c Image.c Info.c misc.c RdFToBuf.c RdFToDat.c \
        RdFToI.c rgb.c scan.c simx.c WrFFrBuf.c parse.c \
        WrFFrDat.c WrFFrI.c

        obj = Attrib.o CrBufFrI.o CrDatFrI.o create.o CrIFrBuf.o CrIFrDat.o \
        data.o hashtab.o Image.o Info.o misc.o RdFToBuf.o RdFToDat.o \
        RdFToI.o rgb.o scan.o simx.o WrFFrBuf.o parse.o \
        WrFFrDat.o WrFFrI.o

        .c.o:
        gcc -O2 -DFOR_MSW -c $<

        target = libXpm.a

        all: $(target)

        $(target): $(obj)
        ar r $(target) $(obj)
        ---- snip ----

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
          Sergey Khorev wrote:

          > > Thanks. I tried and it builds with MSVC 2008. Don't know how to try if
          > > it actually works.
          >
          > Originally I did it for that Netbeans plugin which for some reason
          > used only XPM icons. Commands below will show whether XPM lib is
          > working or not:
          > :exe 'sign define vimxpm icon='.$VIMRUNTIME.'\\vim32x32.xpm'
          > :exe 'sign place 1 line=1 name=vimxpm file='.expand('%:p')

          Thanks, it works (although the image is too big :-)).

          > > Can you give some information about what it was build with? I suppose
          > > it only works for 32 bits builds?
          >
          > Correct, the binary is 32bit only but it can be built for 64bit
          > without any problems. Here are the makefiles:

          I would prefer for people to be able to easily download and install the
          dependencies. It's difficult enough to build Vim already.

          Perhaps you can make one zip file that contains the required header
          files and the .lib files for 32 and 64 bit?

          Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
          as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.

          207. You're given one phone call in prison and you ask them for a laptop.

        • Sergey Khorev
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
            Hi Bram,

            > I would prefer for people to be able to easily download and install the
            > dependencies. It's difficult enough to build Vim already.
            >
            > Perhaps you can make one zip file that contains the required header
            > files and the .lib files for 32 and 64 bit?
            >
            > Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
            > as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.

            I am travelling now and don't have 64bit compiler on my laptop. Will
            prepare the zip when I'm back (in 2 weeks).

          • Sergey Khorev
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 26, 2012
              Hi Bram,

              >> Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
              >> as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.
              >
              > I am travelling now and don't have 64bit compiler on my laptop. Will
              > prepare the zip when I'm back (in 2 weeks).

              Here is the zip containing the library:
              https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpmWin.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

              For some reason gmail thinks that libraries are executable and does
              not allow sending them.

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
                Sergey Khorev wrote:

                > >> Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
                > >> as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.
                > >
                > > I am travelling now and don't have 64bit compiler on my laptop. Will
                > > prepare the zip when I'm back (in 2 weeks).
                >
                > Here is the zip containing the library:
                > https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpmWin.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
                >
                > For some reason gmail thinks that libraries are executable and does
                > not allow sending them.

                Thanks for making this available. It's fairly small and a quick glance
                shows the license is liberal, so perhaps we should simply include it in
                the distribution. Otherwise I can put it on the Vim ftp site.

                --
                FIRST HEAD: All right! All right! We'll kill him first and then have tea and
                biscuits.

              • Sergey Khorev
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
                  > Thanks for making this available. It's fairly small and a quick glance
                  > shows the license is liberal, so perhaps we should simply include it in
                  > the distribution. Otherwise I can put it on the Vim ftp site.

                  I think it's a good idea to include it into the distribution.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 29, 2012
                    Sergey -

                    > >> Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
                    > >> as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.
                    > >
                    > > I am travelling now and don't have 64bit compiler on my laptop. Will
                    > > prepare the zip when I'm back (in 2 weeks).
                    >
                    > Here is the zip containing the library:
                    > https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpmWin.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
                    >
                    > For some reason gmail thinks that libraries are executable and does
                    > not allow sending them.

                    I think it's OK to include the files under src/xpm.

                    I don't think it is useful to include the makefiles, since the required
                    source files are not included.

                    Including the include files twice, because of the different path, isn't
                    nice. I'll find a way to avoid that.

                    - Bram

                    --
                    GALAHAD hurries to the door and pushes through it. As he leaves the room
                    we CUT TO the reverse to show that he is now in a room full of bathing