Re: Building on Windows with XPM

  • Sergey Khorev
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
      > # XPM - Include support for XPM signs
      > # You need to download or build xpm.lib somehow.
      > # You can get the most recent version of libXpm-*.zip from
      > # http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libXpm
      >

      > But that site is down. I found an alternate xpm_w32 zip file on
      > ftp.gnu.org, but it does not include libXpm.lib and no way to build it.

      I have built libXpm some 8 years ago. It is available from
      https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpm.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
      Is it possible to put the file on Vim ftp?

    • tux.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
        Sergey Khorev schrob am 02. Aug. 2012 um 20:26 Zeit:
        > I have built libXpm some 8 years ago. It is available from
        > https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpm.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

        It does not compile though. It says it can't find xpm.h although the
        directory is correctly added per -I parametert.

      • Sergey Khorev
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
          > It does not compile though. It says it can't find xpm.h although the
          > directory is correctly added per -I parametert.

          You didn't mention how you tried to build Vim, here is how I did it:
          nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes CSCOPE=yes NETBEANS=yes XPM=e:\hg\xpm

          E:\HG\vim\src>dir /B /S e:\hg\xpm
          e:\hg\xpm\include
          e:\hg\xpm\lib
          e:\hg\xpm\include\simx.h
          e:\hg\xpm\include\xpm.h
          e:\hg\xpm\lib\libXpm.lib

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
            Sergey Khorev wrote:

            > > # XPM - Include support for XPM signs
            > > # You need to download or build xpm.lib somehow.
            > > # You can get the most recent version of libXpm-*.zip from
            > > # http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libXpm
            > >

            > > But that site is down. I found an alternate xpm_w32 zip file on
            > > ftp.gnu.org, but it does not include libXpm.lib and no way to build it.
            >

            > I have built libXpm some 8 years ago. It is available from
            > https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpm.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

            Thanks. I tried and it builds with MSVC 2008. Don't know how to try if
            it actually works.

            > Is it possible to put the file on Vim ftp?

            OK, I'll put it here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pcextra/xpm.zip

            Can you give some information about what it was build with? I suppose
            it only works for 32 bits builds?

            201. When somebody asks you where you are, you tell them in which chat room.

          • tux.
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
              Sergey Khorev schrob am 02. Aug. 2012 um 21:31 Zeit:
              > nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes CSCOPE=yes NETBEANS=yes XPM=e:\hg\xpm

              Ah, I used relative folders. My fault, thanks!

            • Sergey Khorev
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
                > Thanks. I tried and it builds with MSVC 2008. Don't know how to try if
                > it actually works.

                Originally I did it for that Netbeans plugin which for some reason
                used only XPM icons. Commands below will show whether XPM lib is
                working or not:
                :exe 'sign define vimxpm icon='.$VIMRUNTIME.'\\vim32x32.xpm'
                :exe 'sign place 1 line=1 name=vimxpm file='.expand('%:p')

                > Can you give some information about what it was build with? I suppose
                > it only works for 32 bits builds?

                Correct, the binary is 32bit only but it can be built for 64bit
                without any problems. Here are the makefiles:

                Makefile for MSVC:

                ---- snip ----
                src = Attrib.c CrBufFrI.c CrDatFrI.c create.c CrIFrBuf.c CrIFrDat.c \
                data.c hashtab.c Image.c Info.c misc.c RdFToBuf.c RdFToDat.c \
                RdFToI.c rgb.c scan.c simx.c WrFFrBuf.c parse.c \
                WrFFrDat.c WrFFrI.c

                obj = Attrib.obj CrBufFrI.obj CrDatFrI.obj create.obj CrIFrBuf.obj
                CrIFrDat.obj \
                data.obj hashtab.obj Image.obj Info.obj misc.obj RdFToBuf.obj RdFToDat.obj \
                RdFToI.obj rgb.obj scan.obj simx.obj WrFFrBuf.obj parse.obj \
                WrFFrDat.obj WrFFrI.obj

                .c.obj:
                cl -DFOR_MSW /c $<

                target = ..\lib\libXpm.lib

                all: $(target)

                $(target): $(obj)
                lib /out:$(target) $(obj)
                ---- snip ----

                Makefile for MinGW:

                ---- snip ----
                src = Attrib.c CrBufFrI.c CrDatFrI.c create.c CrIFrBuf.c CrIFrDat.c \
                data.c hashtab.c Image.c Info.c misc.c RdFToBuf.c RdFToDat.c \
                RdFToI.c rgb.c scan.c simx.c WrFFrBuf.c parse.c \
                WrFFrDat.c WrFFrI.c

                obj = Attrib.o CrBufFrI.o CrDatFrI.o create.o CrIFrBuf.o CrIFrDat.o \
                data.o hashtab.o Image.o Info.o misc.o RdFToBuf.o RdFToDat.o \
                RdFToI.o rgb.o scan.o simx.o WrFFrBuf.o parse.o \
                WrFFrDat.o WrFFrI.o

                .c.o:
                gcc -O2 -DFOR_MSW -c $<

                target = libXpm.a

                all: $(target)

                $(target): $(obj)
                ar r $(target) $(obj)
                ---- snip ----

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
                  Sergey Khorev wrote:

                  > > Thanks. I tried and it builds with MSVC 2008. Don't know how to try if
                  > > it actually works.
                  >
                  > Originally I did it for that Netbeans plugin which for some reason
                  > used only XPM icons. Commands below will show whether XPM lib is
                  > working or not:
                  > :exe 'sign define vimxpm icon='.$VIMRUNTIME.'\\vim32x32.xpm'
                  > :exe 'sign place 1 line=1 name=vimxpm file='.expand('%:p')

                  Thanks, it works (although the image is too big :-)).

                  > > Can you give some information about what it was build with? I suppose
                  > > it only works for 32 bits builds?
                  >
                  > Correct, the binary is 32bit only but it can be built for 64bit
                  > without any problems. Here are the makefiles:

                  I would prefer for people to be able to easily download and install the
                  dependencies. It's difficult enough to build Vim already.

                  Perhaps you can make one zip file that contains the required header
                  files and the .lib files for 32 and 64 bit?

                  Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
                  as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.

                  207. You're given one phone call in prison and you ask them for a laptop.

                • Sergey Khorev
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
                    Hi Bram,

                    > I would prefer for people to be able to easily download and install the
                    > dependencies. It's difficult enough to build Vim already.
                    >
                    > Perhaps you can make one zip file that contains the required header
                    > files and the .lib files for 32 and 64 bit?
                    >
                    > Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
                    > as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.

                    I am travelling now and don't have 64bit compiler on my laptop. Will
                    prepare the zip when I'm back (in 2 weeks).

                  • Sergey Khorev
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 26, 2012
                      Hi Bram,

                      >> Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
                      >> as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.
                      >
                      > I am travelling now and don't have 64bit compiler on my laptop. Will
                      > prepare the zip when I'm back (in 2 weeks).

                      Here is the zip containing the library:
                      https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpmWin.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

                      For some reason gmail thinks that libraries are executable and does
                      not allow sending them.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
                        Sergey Khorev wrote:

                        > >> Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
                        > >> as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.
                        > >
                        > > I am travelling now and don't have 64bit compiler on my laptop. Will
                        > > prepare the zip when I'm back (in 2 weeks).
                        >
                        > Here is the zip containing the library:
                        > https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpmWin.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
                        >
                        > For some reason gmail thinks that libraries are executable and does
                        > not allow sending them.

                        Thanks for making this available. It's fairly small and a quick glance
                        shows the license is liberal, so perhaps we should simply include it in
                        the distribution. Otherwise I can put it on the Vim ftp site.

                        --
                        FIRST HEAD: All right! All right! We'll kill him first and then have tea and
                        biscuits.

                      • Sergey Khorev
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
                          > Thanks for making this available. It's fairly small and a quick glance
                          > shows the license is liberal, so perhaps we should simply include it in
                          > the distribution. Otherwise I can put it on the Vim ftp site.

                          I think it's a good idea to include it into the distribution.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 29, 2012
                            Sergey -

                            > >> Note that depending on the license the source files need to be included
                            > >> as well. At least include a README that mentions the copyright.
                            > >
                            > > I am travelling now and don't have 64bit compiler on my laptop. Will
                            > > prepare the zip when I'm back (in 2 weeks).
                            >
                            > Here is the zip containing the library:
                            > https://sites.google.com/site/khorser/opensource/vim/xpmWin.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
                            >
                            > For some reason gmail thinks that libraries are executable and does
                            > not allow sending them.

                            I think it's OK to include the files under src/xpm.

                            I don't think it is useful to include the makefiles, since the required
                            source files are not included.

                            Including the include files twice, because of the different path, isn't
                            nice. I'll find a way to avoid that.

                            - Bram

                            --
                            GALAHAD hurries to the door and pushes through it. As he leaves the room
                            we CUT TO the reverse to show that he is now in a room full of bathing