Syntax file for hg commit message

  • Ken Takata
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
      Hi all,

      I wrote a syntax file for hg (Mercurial) commit message.
      I'm not familiar with hg and Vim syntax file, but any comments are welcome.
      https://gist.github.com/3129572

      I wonder why Vim uses hg for SCM but Vim doesn't have a syntax file for that.

      BTW, I have posted several messages to this ML, but some of my posts
      are not found on the Web interface. Is my e-mail address blocked?
      For example, only Bram's response can be seen in the following thread:
      https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/Me2Q6HDtC1I/discussion

      Regards,
      Ken Takata

    • Ingo Karkat
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
        On 18-Jul-2012 14:16:57 +0200, Ken Takata wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I wrote a syntax file for hg (Mercurial) commit message.
        > I'm not familiar with hg and Vim syntax file, but any comments are welcome.
        > https://gist.github.com/3129572
        >
        > I wonder why Vim uses hg for SCM but Vim doesn't have a syntax file for that.

        Dan LaMotte has already written such a file, but the attempt to get it included
        apparently fizzled out.
        http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/hg-commit-syntax-file-td1205296.html

        Superficially, yours looks similar to his, but maybe you'll find something in
        there that you haven't considered yet. I'd definitely welcome an inclusion in
        the Vim runtime.

        -- regards, ingo

      • Ken Takata
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
          Hi,

          I have updated the patch.
          https://gist.github.com/3129572
          (Hg comment lines begin with 'HG:' not 'HG: '.)

          The same file (but not a patch) is also available at
          https://github.com/k-takata/hg-vim .

          2012/07/18 21:51:25 UTC+9 Ingo Karkat:
          > Dan LaMotte has already written such a file, but the attempt to get it included
          > apparently fizzled out.
          > http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/hg-commit-syntax-file-td1205296.html

          Thanks for your comment.
          Hmm, it seems that Dan's file was not included because of copyright problem.

          > Superficially, yours looks similar to his, but maybe you'll find something in
          > there that you haven't considered yet. I'd definitely welcome an inclusion in
          > the Vim runtime.

          I looked into his file.
          I think mine is a little bit simpler and it's enough.
          An obvious difference can be seen when coloring the following lines:

          HG: added file1
          HG: changed file2
          HG: removed file3

          Mine:
          The status (added, changed or removed) and the file name use the same color.
          Each status uses a different color. (same as svn.vim)

          His:
          The status and the file name use different colors.
          All status use the same color.

          Regards,
          Ken Takata

        • Ingo Karkat
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 21, 2012
            On 21-Jul-2012 15:46:11 +0200, Ken Takata wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have updated the patch.
            > https://gist.github.com/3129572
            > (Hg comment lines begin with 'HG:' not 'HG: '.)
            >
            > The same file (but not a patch) is also available at
            > https://github.com/k-takata/hg-vim .
            >

            > 2012/07/18 21:51:25 UTC+9 Ingo Karkat:
            >> Dan LaMotte has already written such a file, but the attempt to get it included
            >> apparently fizzled out.
            >> http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/hg-commit-syntax-file-td1205296.html
            >
            > Thanks for your comment.
            > Hmm, it seems that Dan's file was not included because of copyright problem.
            >
            >> Superficially, yours looks similar to his, but maybe you'll find something in
            >> there that you haven't considered yet. I'd definitely welcome an inclusion in
            >> the Vim runtime.
            >
            > I looked into his file.
            > I think mine is a little bit simpler and it's enough.
            > An obvious difference can be seen when coloring the following lines:
            >
            > HG: added file1
            > HG: changed file2
            > HG: removed file3
            >
            > Mine:
            > The status (added, changed or removed) and the file name use the same color.
            > Each status uses a different color. (same as svn.vim)
            >
            > His:
            > The status and the file name use different colors.
            > All status use the same color.

            I like the different highlighting of added / changed / removed. Having a
            different group for the file name is probably less important, but would be easy
            to add, too.

            One more request, though: Wouldn't it be more appropriate to name the syntax
            "hgcommit", because it's more precise, and for future compatibility? Though many
            proponents frown on those comparisons, a look at the _other_ favorite DVCS
            reveals that they have gitcommit.vim + gitconfig.vim + gitrebase.vim +
            gitsendemail.vim already. Maybe the Mercurial support in Vim will grow
            similarly, and then your syntax would have taken up the core "hg.vim" name already.

            -- regards, ingo

          • Ken Takata
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1 3:44 PM
              Hi,

              2012/07/22 4:01:04 UTC+9 Ingo Karkat:
              > I like the different highlighting of added / changed / removed. Having a
              >
              > different group for the file name is probably less important, but would be easy
              >
              > to add, too.

              I don't think it is important, but if you send me a pull request, I will include it.

              > One more request, though: Wouldn't it be more appropriate to name the syntax
              >
              > "hgcommit", because it's more precise, and for future compatibility?

              OK, I changed the name from "hg" to "hgcommit".
              A patch for filetype.vim was also updated.
              https://gist.github.com/3129572
              (https://github.com/k-takata/hg-vim)

              Bram,
              I think it is now ready for inclusion.
              I hope this would be a help for hg users and also for Vim contributors.

              Thank you.
              Ken Takata

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2 4:22 AM
                Ken Takata wrote:

                > 2012/07/22 4:01:04 UTC+9 Ingo Karkat:
                > > I like the different highlighting of added / changed / removed. Having a
                > >
                > > different group for the file name is probably less important, but would be easy
                > >
                > > to add, too.
                >
                > I don't think it is important, but if you send me a pull request, I will include it.
                >
                > > One more request, though: Wouldn't it be more appropriate to name the syntax
                > >
                > > "hgcommit", because it's more precise, and for future compatibility?
                >
                > OK, I changed the name from "hg" to "hgcommit".
                > A patch for filetype.vim was also updated.
                > https://gist.github.com/3129572
                > (https://github.com/k-takata/hg-vim)
                >

                > Bram,
                > I think it is now ready for inclusion.
                > I hope this would be a help for hg users and also for Vim contributors.

                Thanks! I'll include it.

                If you make improvements, please email me the new file.

                --
                Some of the well know MS-Windows errors:
                EMEMORY Memory error caused by..., eh...

              • Ken Takata
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 21 6:58 AM
                  Hi Bram,

                  I have updated syntax/hgcommit.vim.
                  I merged a patch from Audrius Kažukauskas:
                  "Disable spell checking in comment blocks."

                  The latest version is available at here:
                  https://github.com/k-takata/hg-vim/blob/master/syntax/hgcommit.vim

                  Best regards,
                  Ken Takata

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 23 8:03 AM
                    Ken Takata wrote:

                    > I have updated syntax/hgcommit.vim.
                    > I merged a patch from Audrius Kažukauskas:
                    > "Disable spell checking in comment blocks."
                    >
                    > The latest version is available at here:
                    > https://github.com/k-takata/hg-vim/blob/master/syntax/hgcommit.vim

                    Thanks, I have included it.

                    It's easier for me if you email the new version. Also for archiving
                    reasons.

                    --
                    In war we're tough and able.
                    Quite indefatigable