Re: Patch 7.3.550

  • Lech Lorens
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      On 30 June 2012 13:01, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      > Lech Lorens wrote:
      [...]
      >> I can't see any spaces I wouldn't expect; for me there are only single
      >> spaces at the joining points. Can you specify explicitly what would
      >> you expect to be converted into what?
      >
      > The example that Gary used:
      >
      > " This is the first line
      > " and this is the second line
      > " - Now a list item
      > " - A second list item
      >
      > Set 'filetype' to "vim" and add "j" to 'formatoptions.
      > Joining the last two lines leaves two spaces.
      > If you add more spaces before "A second list item" they will remain
      > after joining. I don't think that should happen.

      But it doesn't work this way for me. The following file:
      #v+
      " This is the first line
      " and this is the second line
      " - Now a list item.
      " - A second list item
      " and its continuation
      #v-

      will be converted to this:

      #v+
      " This is the first line
      " and this is the second line
      " - Now a list item. A second list item and its continuation
      #v-

      with this command:

      vim -u NONE -U NONE -c 'setl com=sO:\"\ -,mO:\"\ \ ,eO:\"\",:\"' \
      -c 'set nojoinspaces' \
      -c 'setl fo=j' \
      -c 'normal 3G' \
      -c '.,$join' \
      test-fo-j.txt

      It works the same way if I use the vim ftplugin. Perhaps you could
      show me what :set and :setl say for the file for which you see the
      problem?
      Or perhaps you see double spaces after a '.' and you have 'joinspaces' set?

      Thanks,
      Lech

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
        Lech Lorens wrote:

        > On 30 June 2012 13:01, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
        > > Lech Lorens wrote:
        > [...]
        > >> I can't see any spaces I wouldn't expect; for me there are only single
        > >> spaces at the joining points. Can you specify explicitly what would
        > >> you expect to be converted into what?
        > >
        > > The example that Gary used:
        > >
        > > " This is the first line
        > > " and this is the second line
        > > " - Now a list item
        > > " - A second list item
        > >
        > > Set 'filetype' to "vim" and add "j" to 'formatoptions.
        > > Joining the last two lines leaves two spaces.
        > > If you add more spaces before "A second list item" they will remain
        > > after joining. I don't think that should happen.
        >

        > But it doesn't work this way for me. The following file:
        > #v+
        > " This is the first line
        > " and this is the second line
        > " - Now a list item.
        > " - A second list item
        > " and its continuation
        > #v-
        >
        > will be converted to this:
        >
        > #v+
        > " This is the first line
        > " and this is the second line
        > " - Now a list item. A second list item and its continuation
        > #v-
        >
        > with this command:
        >
        > vim -u NONE -U NONE -c 'setl com=sO:\"\ -,mO:\"\ \ ,eO:\"\",:\"' \
        > -c 'set nojoinspaces' \
        > -c 'setl fo=j' \
        > -c 'normal 3G' \
        > -c '.,$join' \
        > test-fo-j.txt
        >
        > It works the same way if I use the vim ftplugin. Perhaps you could
        > show me what :set and :setl say for the file for which you see the
        > problem?
        > Or perhaps you see double spaces after a '.' and you have 'joinspaces' set?

        Weird, now I can't reproduct it anymore.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        :-O>-o Smiley American tourist (note big mouth and camera)