Re: [doc] align columns when :set conceallevel=2

  • Dominique Pellé
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
      Ken Takata <kentkt@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Columns in Vim's doc seem to be aligned with :set conceallevel=0,
      > but :set conceallevel=2 is the default now.
      > Attached patch will align columns with both settings (cole=0, 2)
      > by adding one or two white spaces between a word and a tab.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Ken Takata

      Hi Ken

      I don't think that we should apply this patch, it mixes spaces an tabs.
      So your patch makes it aligned with conceal feature, but misaligned
      without conceal feature.

      The reasons for misalignments was discussed in recent threads:

      http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim.devel/33830
      http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim.devel/34495

      Misalignment happens because of a bug in conceal code for which
      there is a pending patch, which fixes, among other things, alignment
      regardless of conceal settings).

      Problem is listed in ":help todo.txt":

      === :help todo.txt ===
      'cursorline' is displayed too short when there are concealed characters and
      'list' is set. (Dennis Preiser)
      Patch 7.3.116 was the wrong solution.
      Christian Brabandt has another incomplete patch. (2011 Jul 13)
      Also: Alignment in help with tabs gets messed up, esp. at ":help index".
      Probably need to make a tab work like there was no concealing. Possibly with
      an option. Like line wrapping works as if there is no concealing.
      Patch by Dominique Pelle, Also fixes "fC" problem.
      "fC" doesn't position the cursor correctly when there are concealed
      characters. Patch by Christian Brabandt, 2011 Oct 11)
      ===

      Regards
      -- Dominique

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
        Ken Takata wrote:

        > Columns in Vim's doc seem to be aligned with :set conceallevel=0,
        > but :set conceallevel=2 is the default now.
        > Attached patch will align columns with both settings (cole=0, 2)
        > by adding one or two white spaces between a word and a tab.

        Thanks for looking into this. However, we would like to have the
        alignment correct both for with and without concealing. There is a todo
        item to make Tabs move to the same position with and without concealing.
        Once that is done we can fix the spacing.

        So please hold this patch until the Tab behavior is changed. Then we at
        least know what to change.

        21. Your dog has its own home page.

      • Ken Takata
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
          Hi Bram and Dominique,

          > So please hold this patch until the Tab behavior is changed. Then we at
          > least know what to change.

          OK, I will wait the change of the Tab behavior.
          If I found misalignments after the change, I will send a new patch.

          E.g. +feature-list (various.txt) isn't aligned when either cole=0 nor cole=2.

          Regards,
          Ken Takata

        • Ken Takata
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
            Hi,

            2012/06/03 Sun 22:38:35 UTC+9 Ken Takata:
            > Hi Bram and Dominique,
            >
            > > So please hold this patch until the Tab behavior is changed. Then we at
            > > least know what to change.
            >
            > OK, I will wait the change of the Tab behavior.
            > If I found misalignments after the change, I will send a new patch.
            >
            > E.g. +feature-list (various.txt) isn't aligned when either cole=0 nor cole=2.

            I think it's ready to update my patch because the Tab behavior is
            changed in 7.3.748.
            Here is an updated patch.

            Best regards,
            Ken Takata

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
              Ken Takata wrote:

              > 2012/06/03 Sun 22:38:35 UTC+9 Ken Takata:
              > > Hi Bram and Dominique,
              > >
              > > > So please hold this patch until the Tab behavior is changed. Then we at
              > > > least know what to change.
              > >
              > > OK, I will wait the change of the Tab behavior.
              > > If I found misalignments after the change, I will send a new patch.
              > >
              > > E.g. +feature-list (various.txt) isn't aligned when either cole=0 nor cole=2.
              >
              > I think it's ready to update my patch because the Tab behavior is
              > changed in 7.3.748.
              > Here is an updated patch.

              Thanks!

              102. When filling out your driver's license application, you give
              your IP address.

            • Dominique Pellé
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2012
                Ken Takata wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > 2012/06/03 Sun 22:38:35 UTC+9 Ken Takata:
                >> Hi Bram and Dominique,
                >>
                >> > So please hold this patch until the Tab behavior is changed. Then we at
                >> > least know what to change.
                >>
                >> OK, I will wait the change of the Tab behavior.
                >> If I found misalignments after the change, I will send a new patch.
                >>
                >> E.g. +feature-list (various.txt) isn't aligned when either cole=0 nor cole=2.
                >
                > I think it's ready to update my patch because the Tab behavior is
                > changed in 7.3.748.
                > Here is an updated patch.
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Ken Takata

                Thanks. There might still be a few places in help files where
                things are misaligned even after patch 7.3.748. But the problem
                is not in conceal code any more and it's also rare. It now only
                happens because a few help files mix spaces and tabs
                inconsistently causing misalignments with conceallevel=3
                vs conceallevel=0.

                Attached patch fixes such a misalignment in ":help help".

                Regards
                -- Dominique

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2012
                  Dominique Pelle wrote:

                  > Ken Takata wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > 2012/06/03 Sun 22:38:35 UTC+9 Ken Takata:
                  > >> Hi Bram and Dominique,

                  > >> OK, I will wait the change of the Tab behavior.
                  > >> If I found misalignments after the change, I will send a new patch.
                  > >>
                  > >> E.g. +feature-list (various.txt) isn't aligned when either cole=0 nor cole=2.
                  > >
                  > > I think it's ready to update my patch because the Tab behavior is
                  > > changed in 7.3.748.
                  > > Here is an updated patch.
                  > >
                  > > Best regards,
                  > > Ken Takata
                  >
                  > Thanks. There might still be a few places in help files where
                  > things are misaligned even after patch 7.3.748. But the problem
                  > is not in conceal code any more and it's also rare. It now only
                  > happens because a few help files mix spaces and tabs
                  > inconsistently causing misalignments with conceallevel=3
                  > vs conceallevel=0.
                  >
                  > Attached patch fixes such a misalignment in ":help help".

                  Thanks, I'll include it

                  --
                  FIXME and XXX are two common keywords used to mark broken or incomplete code
                  not only since XXX as a sex reference would grab everybody's attention but

                • Ken Takata
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
                    Hi,

                    Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Dominique Pelle wrote:
                    >
                    > > Ken Takata wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Hi,

                    > > > I think it's ready to update my patch because the Tab behavior is
                    > > > changed in 7.3.748.
                    > > > Here is an updated patch.
                    > > >
                    > > > Best regards,
                    > > > Ken Takata
                    > >
                    > > Thanks. There might still be a few places in help files where
                    > > things are misaligned even after patch 7.3.748. But the problem
                    > > is not in conceal code any more and it's also rare. It now only
                    > > happens because a few help files mix spaces and tabs
                    > > inconsistently causing misalignments with conceallevel=3
                    > > vs conceallevel=0.
                    > >
                    > > Attached patch fixes such a misalignment in ":help help".
                    >
                    > Thanks, I'll include it

                    I found another misalignment in the help files.
                    Attached patch fixes it.

                    Thanks,
                    Ken Takata

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
                      Ken Takata wrote:

                      > I found another misalignment in the help files.
                      > Attached patch fixes it.

                      I'll include it, thanks!

                      --
                      FATHER: You killed eight wedding guests in all!
                      LAUNCELOT: Er, Well ... the thing is ... I thought your son was a lady.

                    • Ken Takata
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2013
                        Hi Bram,

                        2013/01/31 Thu 0:55:08 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        > Ken Takata wrote:
                        >
                        > > I found another misalignment in the help files.
                        > > Attached patch fixes it.
                        >
                        > I'll include it, thanks!

                        Sorry for inconvenience. I found misalignment again.
                        fix-alignment-2.patch fixes it.

                        However misalignment still remains in quickref.txt because of
                        mixing spaces and tabs. Maybe it cannot be fix perfectly,
                        but can be better. fix-alignment-3.patch is a patch for that.

                        Thanks,
                        Ken Takata

                      • Ken Takata
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 7, 2013
                          Hi,

                          2013/02/05 Tue 2:00:01 UTC+9 Ken Takata:
                          > Hi Bram,
                          >
                          > 2013/01/31 Thu 0:55:08 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          >
                          > > Ken Takata wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I found another misalignment in the help files.
                          > > > Attached patch fixes it.
                          > >
                          > > I'll include it, thanks!
                          >
                          > Sorry for inconvenience. I found misalignment again.
                          > fix-alignment-2.patch fixes it.
                          >
                          > However misalignment still remains in quickref.txt because of
                          > mixing spaces and tabs. Maybe it cannot be fix perfectly,
                          > but can be better. fix-alignment-3.patch is a patch for that.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Ken Takata

                          Here is an additional patch for misalignment.
                          Please check it.

                          Thanks,
                          Ken Takata

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 7, 2013
                            Ken Takata wrote:

                            > 2013/02/05 Tue 2:00:01 UTC+9 Ken Takata:
                            > > Hi Bram,

                            > > > I'll include it, thanks!
                            > >
                            > > Sorry for inconvenience. I found misalignment again.
                            > > fix-alignment-2.patch fixes it.
                            > >
                            > > However misalignment still remains in quickref.txt because of
                            > > mixing spaces and tabs. Maybe it cannot be fix perfectly,
                            > > but can be better. fix-alignment-3.patch is a patch for that.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > > Ken Takata
                            >
                            > Here is an additional patch for misalignment.
                            > Please check it.

                            Included, thanks.

                            --
                            Linux is just like a wigwam: no Windows, no Gates and an Apache inside.

                          • Ken Takata
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 5, 2013
                              Hi,

                              2013/05/07 Tue 23:42:49 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
                              > Here is an additional patch for misalignment.
                              > Please check it.

                              Here is the 5th patch for misalignment. I hope this is the last patch

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 5, 2013
                                Ken Takata wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > 2013/05/07 Tue 23:42:49 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
                                >> Here is an additional patch for misalignment.
                                >> Please check it.
                                >
                                > Here is the 5th patch for misalignment. I hope this is the last patch
                                > for misalignment. Please check it.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Ken Takata

                                Hi

                                The line describing :bprevious in quickref.txt:1335
                                also looks well aligned with conceallevel=0 but
                                misaligned with conceallevel=2.

                                Fixed in attached patch.

                                Regards
                                Dominique

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 6, 2013
                                  Ken Takata wrote:

                                  > 2013/05/07 Tue 23:42:49 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
                                  > > Here is an additional patch for misalignment.
                                  > > Please check it.
                                  >
                                  > Here is the 5th patch for misalignment. I hope this is the last patch
                                  > for misalignment. Please check it.

                                  Thanks!

                                  --
                                  [Another hideous roar.]
                                  BEDEVERE: That's it!

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 6, 2013
                                    Dominique Pelle wrote:

                                    > Ken Takata wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Hi,
                                    > >
                                    > > 2013/05/07 Tue 23:42:49 UTC+9 Ken Takata wrote:
                                    > >> Here is an additional patch for misalignment.
                                    > >> Please check it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Here is the 5th patch for misalignment. I hope this is the last patch
                                    > > for misalignment. Please check it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > > Ken Takata
                                    >
                                    > Hi
                                    >
                                    > The line describing :bprevious in quickref.txt:1335
                                    > also looks well aligned with conceallevel=0 but
                                    > misaligned with conceallevel=2.
                                    >
                                    > Fixed in attached patch.

                                    Thanks.

                                    --
                                    Dreams are free, but there's a small charge for alterations.