Re: Patch 7.3.536

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
      On 01/06/12 18:52, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Tux wrote:
      >
      >> Bram Moolenaar schrob am 01. Jun. 2012 um 17:47 Zeit:
      >>> ! {0xe0,0xf6,1,-32}, /* 0xdf (German sharp s) is not upper-cased */
      >>

      >> There is an upper-cased sharp s in German. It just looks different.
      >
      > Mostly SS is used for the upper case version, if at all. The
      > uppser-case sharp s is not in latin1. Wikipedia:

      Yes, usually ß → SS when converting a word to all-caps. The problem of
      course is that this operation is not reversible, except in de-CH, where
      ss is used in lowercase even where de-DE uses ß. In Switzerland, ß (or
      black-letter ſz) is only used nowadays to give inscriptions an
      "old-fashioned" look.

      > ß is nearly unique among the letters of Latin alphabet in that it had no
      > traditional upper case form. This is because it never occurs initially,
      > and traditional German printing in blackletter never used all-caps.
      >
      > However, there have been repeated attempts to introduce an upper case ß.
      > Such letterforms can be found in some older German books and some modern
      > signage and product design. Since April 4, 2008 Unicode 5.1.0 has
      > included it ("ẞ") as U+1E9E LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP

      Here is what Unicode charts tell me:

      http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf under 00DF:
      ß 00DF LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S
      = Eszett
      * German
      * uppercase is “SS”
      * in origin a ligature of 017F ſ and 0073 s
      → 03B2 β greek small letter beta
      → 1E9E ẞ latin capital letter sharp s

      http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1E00.pdf under 1E9E:
      ẞ 1E9E LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S
      * lowercase is 00DF ß
      → 00DF ß latin small letter sharp s

      IOW, according to Unicode, lowercase of ẞ is ß but uppercase of ß is SS
      — understand who can.

      N.B. My father has a German atlas printed before WWI in a Roman (i.e.
      not Fraktur and not blackletter) typeface; there the uppercase of ß was
      SZ (e.g. RUSZLAND for Russia). This would be "more" reversible since
      -sz- could only happen in German in a compound word, at the boundary
      between a wordpart ending in s followed by a wordpart beginning with z.

      ARTHUR: Who are you?
      TALL KNIGHT: We are the Knights Who Say "Ni"!
      BEDEVERE: No! Not the Knights Who Say "Ni"!
      PICTURES LTD