RE: FW: configure script "detection" logic for ( #define XPMATTRIBUTES_TYPE ) is NOT correct

  • Bovy, Stephen
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2012

      Shucks

      I am in a quandary

      If I make changes to the build-setup  for IBM  ( it may not work for older systems )

      I may need to add some new detection code to identify that this is a newer system  >>

      X Window System programming considerations

      z/OS V1R12.0 Communications Server IP Programmer's Guide and Reference
      SC31-8787-12

      The X Window System toolkit includes files that define two macros for obtaining the offset of fields in an X Window System Toolkit structure, XtOffset, and XtOffsetOf. Programs written for, or ported to, z/OS UNIX MVS™ must use the XtOffsetOf macro for this purpose.

      Porting Motif applications to z/OS UNIX MVS

      Some Motif widget and gadget resources have the type KeySym. In an ASCII-based system the KeySym is the same as the ASCII character value. For example, the character 'F' has the ASCII hexadecimal value 46 and the KeySym hexadecimal value 46.

      However, on z/OS UNIX MVS, the character value of 'F' is hexadecimal C6, while the KeySym hexadecimal value is still 46. Remember to use true KeySym values when specifying resources of type KeySym, whether in a defaults file or in a function call.

      In some cases, an X Window System server may have clients that are not running on z/OS UNIX MVS. If a z/OS UNIX MVS X Window System application sends nonstandard properties that contain text strings to the X Window System server, and these properties might be accessed by clients that are not running on z/OS UNIX MVS, the strings should be translated. The translation should be to the server default character set before transmission to the server and to the appropriate host character set when retrieved from the server. This translation is an application responsibility.

      Compiling and linking Motif and X Window System applications

      The z/OS UNIX c89 or make commands should be used to compile and link X Window System and Motif programs. The following example shows how to use the c89 command to compile an X Window System program, xxx, which uses the Athena widget set, and create the executable file xxx. All code that uses the X Window System and Motif libraries must be compiled with the DLL option even if static linking is used.

      c89 -o xxx -Wc,dll,xplink -Wl,xplink xxx.c /usr/lib/Xaw_31.x /usr/lib/SM_31.x

      /usr/lib/ICE_31.x /usr/lib/X11_31.x

      The following example shows how to compile the program xxx for use with the 64-bit DLLs. LP64 also requires the use of XPLINK.

      c89 -o xxx -Wc,dll,xplink,LP64 -Wl,xplink xxx.c /usr/lib/Xaw_64.x /usr/lib/SM_64.x

      /usr/lib/ICE_64.x /usr/lib/X11_64.x

      The following example shows how to use the c89 command to compile an X Window System program, yyy, which uses the Motif widget set, and create an executable file yyy:

      c89 -o yyy -Wc,dll,xplink -W1,xplink yyy.c /usr/lib/Xm_31.x /usr/lib/SM_31.x

      /usr/lib/ICE_31.x /usr/lib/X11_31.x

      The following example shows how to use the c89 command to compile an X Window System program, yyy, which uses the Motif widget set, and create an executable file yyy. This example links with the previous function libraries (X 6.1 and Motif 1.2). You must explicitly tell the compiler where to pick up the header files for the previous function libraries with the -I option.

      c89 -o yyy -Wc,dll -W1,xplink yyy.c -I/usr/include/lpp/tcpip/X11R6/include

      /usr/lib/Xm.x /usr/lib/SM.x /usr/lib/ICE.x /usr/lib/X11.x

      For examples of the input to the make command, see the Makefile in each of these subdirectories:

      /usr/lpp/tcpip/X11R6/Xamples/demos

      /usr/lpp/tcpip/X11R6/Xamples/clients

      /usr/lpp/tcpip/X11R66/Xamples/demos

      /usr/lpp/tcpip/X11R66/Xamples/clients