Re: :help! makes E478

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      On 01/04/12 12:51, thinca wrote:
      > Hi list.
      >
      > The document of ":help!" says:
      >
      >> :h[elp]! [subject] Like ":help", but in non-English help files prefer to
      >> find a tag in a file with the same language as the
      >> current file. See |help-translated|.
      >
      > [subject] is omitable. But, ":help!" makes E478.
      > I think ":help!" should open help.txt with the same language as the
      > current file.
      >
      > I wrote a patch for this.
      [...]

      I confirm that :help! gives "E478 Don't panic!" but only when used with
      a bang but no argument. I tested it in a help file, in a plain
      (non-help) *.txt file, in an HTML file and in my ~/.vimrc, and I get it
      in all four: IOW for me it isn't limited to when viewing help files.

      Using gvim 7.3.487 (Huge) with GTK2/Gnome2 GUI (and, among others,
      +multi_byte +multi_lang).

      FWIW, my :lang is set to en_US.UTF-8 but :lang mess to C, $LC_PAPER and
      $LC_TIME to en_GB, as follows:

      Current language:
      "LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8;LC_TIME=en_GB;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=en_GB;LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8;LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8"

      Any fool can paint a picture, but it takes a wise person to be able to
      sell it.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
        Thinca wrote:

        > The document of ":help!" says:
        >
        > > :h[elp]! [subject] Like ":help", but in non-English help files prefer to
        > > find a tag in a file with the same language as the
        > > current file. See |help-translated|.
        >
        > [subject] is omitable. But, ":help!" makes E478.
        > I think ":help!" should open help.txt with the same language as the
        > current file.
        >
        > I wrote a patch for this.

        [...]

        > Furthermore, as another proposal, :help behaves like this only when current
        > buffer is a help buffer.

        [...]

        > Which do you like?

        The last one should be the best solution.

        --
        They now pass three KNIGHTS impaled to a tree. With their feet off the
        ground, with one lance through the lot of them, they are skewered up