Re: cursorline and long lines

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2012
      Bram,

      On Mi, 28 Mär 2012, Abu Yoav wrote:

      [...]
      > I am editing a text file (latex). I prefer that each paragraph be a
      > long line, and that vim wrap the text. That's the usual behaviour, and
      > that works fine. An option that seems very helpful is cursorline, so I
      > set it (":set cul"). However, this does not do what I want. Namely,
      > instead of highlighting the *visual* line I am on, it highlights the
      > whole paragraph. Is there any way to highlight only the current visual
      > line I am on? Again, a workaround would be to instruct vim to have
      > lines of at most 80 characters (say), but I don't want that.

      The help for 'cursorline' says:

      ,----
      | Highlight the screen line of the cursor with CursorLine
      `----

      While 'cul' has always been highlighting complete lines. Do you think,
      this would warrant a new option, that changes 'cul' to only highlight
      screen lines or change the option 'cul' to a string option, that can be
      set to 'screen' or 'line'?

      This might be helpful for long lines (e.g. when editing csv files and
      wrap is set).

      If not, the documentation should be updated.

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      Der Furchtsame erschrickt vor der Gefahr, der Feige in ihr, der Mutige
      nach ihr.

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 29, 2012
        On 2012-03-29, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > Bram,
        >
        > On Mi, 28 Mär 2012, Abu Yoav wrote:
        >
        > [...]
        > > I am editing a text file (latex). I prefer that each paragraph be a
        > > long line, and that vim wrap the text. That's the usual behaviour, and
        > > that works fine. An option that seems very helpful is cursorline, so I
        > > set it (":set cul"). However, this does not do what I want. Namely,
        > > instead of highlighting the *visual* line I am on, it highlights the
        > > whole paragraph. Is there any way to highlight only the current visual
        > > line I am on? Again, a workaround would be to instruct vim to have
        > > lines of at most 80 characters (say), but I don't want that.
        >
        > The help for 'cursorline' says:
        >
        > ,----
        > | Highlight the screen line of the cursor with CursorLine
        > `----
        >
        > While 'cul' has always been highlighting complete lines. Do you think,
        > this would warrant a new option, that changes 'cul' to only highlight
        > screen lines or change the option 'cul' to a string option, that can be
        > set to 'screen' or 'line'?
        >
        > This might be helpful for long lines (e.g. when editing csv files and
        > wrap is set).
        >
        > If not, the documentation should be updated.

        Or declare it a bug and fix the behavior to match the documentation.

        Regards,
        Gary

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2012
          On Fri, March 30, 2012 00:41, Gary Johnson wrote:
          > On 2012-03-29, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >> Bram,
          >>
          >> On Mi, 28 Mär 2012, Abu Yoav wrote:
          >>
          >> [...]
          >> > I am editing a text file (latex). I prefer that each paragraph be a
          >> > long line, and that vim wrap the text. That's the usual behaviour, and
          >> > that works fine. An option that seems very helpful is cursorline, so I
          >> > set it (":set cul"). However, this does not do what I want. Namely,
          >> > instead of highlighting the *visual* line I am on, it highlights the
          >> > whole paragraph. Is there any way to highlight only the current visual
          >> > line I am on? Again, a workaround would be to instruct vim to have
          >> > lines of at most 80 characters (say), but I don't want that.
          >>
          >> The help for 'cursorline' says:
          >>
          >> ,----
          >> | Highlight the screen line of the cursor with CursorLine
          >> `----
          >>
          >> While 'cul' has always been highlighting complete lines. Do you think,
          >> this would warrant a new option, that changes 'cul' to only highlight
          >> screen lines or change the option 'cul' to a string option, that can be
          >> set to 'screen' or 'line'?
          >>
          >> This might be helpful for long lines (e.g. when editing csv files and
          >> wrap is set).
          >>
          >> If not, the documentation should be updated.
          >
          > Or declare it a bug and fix the behavior to match the documentation.

          Well, here is a patch, that fixes it. I am not sure, whether this
          is a bug and this patch certainly makes 'cul' behave unexpectedly.

          Would be good, if some people try it out,
          because the screen drawing code looks frightening to me ;)

          regards,
          Christian

        • Ingo Karkat
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2012
            On 29-Mar-2012 15:41:02 -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:

            > On 2012-03-29, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            >> [14 lines deleted]
            >> The help for 'cursorline' says:
            >>
            >> ,----
            >> | Highlight the screen line of the cursor with CursorLine
            >> `----
            >>
            >> While 'cul' has always been highlighting complete lines. Do you think,
            >> this would warrant a new option, that changes 'cul' to only highlight
            >> screen lines or change the option 'cul' to a string option, that can be
            >> set to 'screen' or 'line'?
            >>
            >> This might be helpful for long lines (e.g. when editing csv files and
            >> wrap is set).
            >>
            >> If not, the documentation should be updated.
            >
            > Or declare it a bug and fix the behavior to match the documentation.

            While I see value in the proposed change, I prefer to keep the old behavior,
            too. It subtly reminds me that I'm editing a long physical line with 'wrap' on,
            and helps me in choosing j/k or gj/gk for navigation. Since this hasn't been
            brought up since 'cursorline's introduction in Vim 7.0, I guess that the
            majority doesn't object to the current behavior, neither.

            -- regards, ingo

          • sc
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2012
              On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:52:45AM +0200, Ingo Karkat wrote:
              > On 29-Mar-2012 15:41:02 -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:

              > > On 2012-03-29, Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > >> [14 lines deleted]
              > >> The help for 'cursorline' says:
              > >>
              > >> ,----
              > >> `----
              > >>
              > >> While 'cul' has always been highlighting complete lines. Do you think,
              > >> this would warrant a new option, that changes 'cul' to only highlight
              > >> screen lines or change the option 'cul' to a string option, that can be
              > >> set to 'screen' or 'line'?
              > >>
              > >> This might be helpful for long lines (e.g. when editing csv files and
              > >> wrap is set).
              > >>
              > >> If not, the documentation should be updated.
              > >
              > > Or declare it a bug and fix the behavior to match the documentation.

              > While I see value in the proposed change, I prefer to keep the old behavior,
              > too. It subtly reminds me that I'm editing a long physical line with 'wrap' on,
              > and helps me in choosing j/k or gj/gk for navigation. Since this hasn't been
              > brought up since 'cursorline's introduction in Vim 7.0, I guess that the
              > majority doesn't object to the current behavior, neither.

              i'm +1 liking the current behavior too, ingo

              i'd like to at least keep it as an option

              sc

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30, 2012
                On Friday, March 30, 2012 3:52:45 AM UTC-5, Ingo Karkat wrote:

                > While I see value in the proposed change, I prefer to keep the old behavior,
                > too. It subtly reminds me that I'm editing a long physical line with 'wrap' on,
                > and helps me in choosing j/k or gj/gk for navigation. Since this hasn't been
                > brought up since 'cursorline's introduction in Vim 7.0, I guess that the
                > majority doesn't object to the current behavior, neither.

                I only ever use cursorline and cursorcolumn for three reasons:

                1) most common: I don't immediately see the cursor and want to quickly find it. I have a mapping to toggle cursorcolumn and cursorline.
                2) sometimes with f, F, t, and T, combined with ; and ,, it's hard to see where the cursor is currently. I have mappings for these commands which highlight the character in question in the current line and also set cursorline and cursorcolumn.
                3) when editing tables, where I want to see a visual indication of the entire current line in the table

                (1) and (2) are worthless on long wrapped lines. For (3) I always have 'nowrap' set anyway. I find cursorline with 'wrap' set to be almost completely useless. I certainly support making cursorline and cursorcolumn work on the *visual* line and column. What are they for, if not for locating the cursor?

                I consider this a bug, but as long as there is an option which makes it act "correctly" I'll be happy. I haven't spoken up because I figured it TECHNICALLY does highlight the line I'm on, it's just not useful in that case. Others probably don't even use the option, because of the prominent warning in the help that it will slow down performance (is this really a concern on a modern machine?).

                I see Ingo's point about an indication of a long wrapped line, but I've already mapped j/k to gj/gk, and the line numbers/showbreak is enough for me to see that I'm on a long line. As indicated, I rarely keep cursorline and cursorcolumn on for very long, so the extra indication won't work for me anyway.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 30, 2012
                  Christian Brabandt wrote:

                  > On Fri, March 30, 2012 00:41, Gary Johnson wrote:
                  > > On 2012-03-29, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  > >> Bram,
                  > >>
                  > >> On Mi, 28 Mär 2012, Abu Yoav wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> [...]
                  > >>
                  > >> The help for 'cursorline' says:
                  > >>
                  > >> ,----
                  > >> `----
                  > >>
                  > >> While 'cul' has always been highlighting complete lines. Do you think,
                  > >> this would warrant a new option, that changes 'cul' to only highlight
                  > >> screen lines or change the option 'cul' to a string option, that can be
                  > >> set to 'screen' or 'line'?
                  > >>
                  > >> This might be helpful for long lines (e.g. when editing csv files and
                  > >> wrap is set).
                  > >>
                  > >> If not, the documentation should be updated.
                  > >
                  > > Or declare it a bug and fix the behavior to match the documentation.
                  >
                  > Well, here is a patch, that fixes it. I am not sure, whether this
                  > is a bug and this patch certainly makes 'cul' behave unexpectedly.
                  >
                  > Would be good, if some people try it out,
                  > because the screen drawing code looks frightening to me ;)

                  I don't think we should change the current meaning of 'cursorline'.
                  What the original poster asked for is something else.

                  Since 'cursorline' is a boolean option we can't change it to be more
                  than an on/off switch.

                  That leaves adding Yet Another Option...

                  - Bram

                  --
                  A KNIGHT rides into shot and hacks him to the ground. He rides off.
                  We stay for a moment on the glade. A MIDDLE-AGED LADY in a C. & A.

                • Ingo Karkat
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 30, 2012
                    On 30-Mar-2012 21:35, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > [41 lines deleted]
                    >
                    > I don't think we should change the current meaning of 'cursorline'.
                    > What the original poster asked for is something else.
                    >
                    > Since 'cursorline' is a boolean option we can't change it to be more
                    > than an on/off switch.
                    >
                    > That leaves adding Yet Another Option...

                    We have a similar precedent of two linked options: 'number' and
                    'relativenumber', and that seems to work fine, with one resetting the other when
                    set. I also like that in that case, one can set one in a window and the other in
                    another one, depending on what kind of text is being edited. (As we've already
                    learned that cursorline is used for many different purposes.)

                    How about naming it 'cursorscreenline', or maybe 'cursordisplayline'?

                    -- regards, ingo

                  • Yichao Zhou
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 30, 2012
                      On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Ingo Karkat <swdev@...> wrote:
                      > On 30-Mar-2012 21:35, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      >
                      >> [41 lines deleted]
                      >>
                      >> I don't think we should change the current meaning of 'cursorline'.
                      >> What the original poster asked for is something else.
                      >>
                      >> Since 'cursorline' is a boolean option we can't change it to be more
                      >> than an on/off switch.
                      >>
                      >> That leaves adding Yet Another Option...
                      >
                      > We have a similar precedent of two linked options: 'number' and
                      > 'relativenumber', and that seems to work fine, with one resetting the other when
                      > set. I also like that in that case, one can set one in a window and the other in
                      > another one, depending on what kind of text is being edited. (As we've already
                      > learned that cursorline is used for many different purposes.)
                      >
                      > How about naming it 'cursorscreenline', or maybe 'cursordisplayline'?
                      >
                      > -- regards, ingo
                      >
                      > --

                      For relativeline, I hope that we can have another setting such as
                      `cursorscreenline` which is really useful in tex.

                    • Christian Brabandt
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 31, 2012
                        Bram,

                        On Fr, 30 Mär 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > That leaves adding Yet Another Option...

                        have you ever thought about providing some kind of a generic option
                        setting, that could be easily extendible for such small settings.

                        Something similar to the 'fo' and 'cpo' settings

                        e.g. set generic=cursorline:screenline
                        or something? And then when another new minor setting is needed, one
                        could extend it to something like this:

                        set generic=cursorline:screenline,foo:foobar

                        Does that sound reasonable?

                        Mit freundlichen Grüßen
                        Christian

                      • Christian Brabandt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 31, 2012
                          Hi Bram!

                          On Fr, 30 Mär 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                          > Christian Brabandt wrote:

                          > > > Or declare it a bug and fix the behavior to match the documentation.
                          > >
                          > > Well, here is a patch, that fixes it. I am not sure, whether this
                          > > is a bug and this patch certainly makes 'cul' behave unexpectedly.
                          > >
                          > > Would be good, if some people try it out,
                          > > because the screen drawing code looks frightening to me ;)
                          >
                          > I don't think we should change the current meaning of 'cursorline'.
                          > What the original poster asked for is something else.
                          >
                          > Since 'cursorline' is a boolean option we can't change it to be more
                          > than an on/off switch.
                          >
                          > That leaves adding Yet Another Option...

                          Here is a patch, using 'cursorscreenline'. Seems to work so far.
                          Additionally, it fixes a problem, that has been introduced with 7.3.479
                          where the cursorline wasn't drawn, when the number or relativenumber
                          option was set (line 3508 of screen.c) and removes an old leftover from
                          option.c, which doesn't seem to be necessary.

                          regards,
                          Christian

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 31, 2012
                            Christian Brabandt wrote:

                            > On Fr, 30 Mär 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            >

                            > > Christian Brabandt wrote:

                            > > > Well, here is a patch, that fixes it. I am not sure, whether this
                            > > > is a bug and this patch certainly makes 'cul' behave unexpectedly.
                            > > >
                            > > > Would be good, if some people try it out,
                            > > > because the screen drawing code looks frightening to me ;)
                            > >
                            > > I don't think we should change the current meaning of 'cursorline'.
                            > > What the original poster asked for is something else.
                            > >
                            > > Since 'cursorline' is a boolean option we can't change it to be more
                            > > than an on/off switch.
                            > >
                            > > That leaves adding Yet Another Option...
                            >
                            > Here is a patch, using 'cursorscreenline'. Seems to work so far.
                            > Additionally, it fixes a problem, that has been introduced with 7.3.479
                            > where the cursorline wasn't drawn, when the number or relativenumber
                            > option was set (line 3508 of screen.c) and removes an old leftover from
                            > option.c, which doesn't seem to be necessary.

                            Thanks. I'll check it out.

                            --
                            The greatest lies of all time:
                            (1) The check is in the mail.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 31, 2012
                              Christian Brabandt wrote:

                              > On Fr, 30 Mär 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              > > That leaves adding Yet Another Option...
                              >
                              > have you ever thought about providing some kind of a generic option
                              > setting, that could be easily extendible for such small settings.
                              >
                              > Something similar to the 'fo' and 'cpo' settings
                              >
                              > e.g. set generic=cursorline:screenline
                              > or something? And then when another new minor setting is needed, one
                              > could extend it to something like this:
                              >
                              > set generic=cursorline:screenline,foo:foobar
                              >
                              > Does that sound reasonable?

                              How is this better than adding an option?

                              --
                              He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
                              Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken;