[FER]: VimBreakIndent or Smart word-wrapping

  • Ignas Anikevicius
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2012
      Hello,

      First of all, let me thank you for VIM, which is probably the best
      application I have on my computer at the moment.

      I was wondering if it would be possible to include the feature, which
      would make it possible to have a proper indented word-wrap? I find it
      very useful in LaTeX and other cases where one needs to write a lot of
      text.

      https://retracile.net/wiki/VimBreakIndent

      Thanks very much,
      Ignas A.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2012
        On Mar 6, 8:04 pm, Ignas Anikevicius <anikevic...@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > First of all, let me thank you for VIM, which is probably the best
        > application I have on my computer at the moment.
        >
        > I was wondering if it would be possible to include the feature, which
        > would make it possible to have a proper indented word-wrap? I find it
        > very useful in LaTeX and other cases where one needs to write a lot of
        > text.
        >
        > https://retracile.net/wiki/VimBreakIndent

        I've seen a few patches related to indent.

        1. Breakindent from this or a similar patch.
        2. Variable/multi-width tabstops
        3. Elastic tabstops

        I'd probably use all of these in one situation or another. I'm not
        sure how well they work together as-is, and I've only actually tried
        the elastic tabstops patch (which I know needs more work before it's
        ready to include), but the concepts at least are very promising for
        all of them. (1) would be immediately useful for all kinds of files (I
        often turn wrap on for XML files which have good indentation but
        really long lines). (2) and (3) would be especially useful for tab-
        delimited files, but I can also see the usefulness of (3) when writing
        code using tabs for indentation. Unfortunately, if this is ever
        included, my workplace's coding standards use all spaces for indent,
        and Vim's use a mixture of spaces and tabs in a way pretty much only
        Vim can properly handle automatically.

        Anyway, I think these three would be good additions to a 7.4 or 8.0
        release.