Re: Google summer of code mentor

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
      On 4/03/12 11:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > John Beckett wrote:
      >
      >> Bram wrote:
      >>> 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
      >>> use NFA.
      >>> 2. Fix bugs and review patches
      >>> 3. Fix bugs and review patches
      >>>
      >>> 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
      >>> (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
      >>>
      >>> To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
      >>> who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
      >>> volunteers?
      >>
      >> I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
      >> only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
      >> use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
      >> regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
      >> question to put to others if help were needed.
      >
      > I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
      > can do that. Can you create a profile at
      > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?
      >
      > Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.

      I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
      but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
      to help out.

      Ben.

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
        Ben Schmidt wrote:
        >> I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying.
        >
        > I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet
        > recently, but if direct questions or a direct task were in
        > front of me I'd be able to help out.

        Thanks Ben. If Bram is not around and I have some problem put to
        me where I don't feel confident providing an answer, I will
        email you directly, or possibly the mailing list if it's a more
        general issue.

        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
          Ben Schmidt wrote:

          > On 4/03/12 11:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > >
          > > John Beckett wrote:

          > >> I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
          > >> only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
          > >> use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
          > >> regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
          > >> question to put to others if help were needed.
          > >
          > > I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
          > > can do that. Can you create a profile at
          > > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?
          > >
          > > Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.
          >
          > I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
          > but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
          > to help out.

          Thanks for the offer. John volunteered to be the backup administrator.
          Perhaps you can help mentoring students? This involves having a
          critical look at their work, give hints if they get stuck, try out if
          their fix really works, and advice me if a patch is ready to be included.

          I especially try to limit the amount of time I need to spend on it
          myself. If this works out well we could take on more students next
          year.

          148. You find it easier to dial-up the National Weather Service
          Weather/your_town/now.html than to simply look out the window.

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
            >> I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
            >> but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
            >> to help out.
            >
            > Thanks for the offer. John volunteered to be the backup administrator.
            > Perhaps you can help mentoring students? This involves having a
            > critical look at their work, give hints if they get stuck, try out if
            > their fix really works, and advice me if a patch is ready to be included.
            >
            > I especially try to limit the amount of time I need to spend on it
            > myself. If this works out well we could take on more students next
            > year.

            That doesn't sound too onerous. I should be able to manage it, at least
            a small amount.

            Cheers,

            Ben.