Re: [DNS] vim.org should point to www.vim.org

  • Birger J. Nordølum
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
      Hello again,

      Seeing there were no respons to my inquiry, I feel obliged to speak out again.

      We now live in the year 2012 and the web is more important than ever. As well Vim being more popular than ever. To even impose a questionable limitation for any individuals who wants to join the fun, the awesomeness, the importance of Vim, like making sure they can't access the site without knowing beforehand that you sure be aware to add that www. part before typing vim.com.

      Which I personally suspect of being a hindering for a lot of people from accessing the site, and/or making it harder for regular users. Comparing writing the two, the www.-less is faster to write.

      Even the creation of the www. part is to be accounted as an accident[1]. And not designed as a expected implementation for the domain system.

      I can only once again petition that the DNS part of the Vim project get fixed, as this is to considered as being a flawed configuration, and can't be acknowledged as a "good" design decision.

      I don't post here to create a bad mood, but to engage and encourage a healthy discussion on parts of the project that needs to be dealt with. And I hope that no one is feeling attacked by my words. If so, I apologize.

      Sincerely,

      Birger J.

      [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web#WWW_prefix

      On Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:55:17 AM UTC+2, Birger J. Nordølum wrote:
      Hello Ben,

      Thank you for taking the time to reply.

      Doing a search for the DNS records[0] reveals that the A record (www) is set as the active entry, and no CNAME entries are listed, as instructed by SourceForge. Though you could always argue that this is voluntarily.

      My personal believe is that the DNS should ways be set to no-www as the A record, and the www as a CNAME. This makes the site more accessible from all possible ways. And not excluding any.

      This is not an discussion whether you choose one over the other, but include both. Which I think is a fairly simple task.

      Lets just hope the people with the power gain their senses and fix this :)

      Once again, thank you Ben!

      On Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:55:17 AM UTC+2, Birger J. Nordølum wrote:
      Hello Ben,

      Thank you for taking the time to reply.

      Doing a search for the DNS records[0] reveals that the A record (www) is set as the active entry, and no CNAME entries are listed, as instructed by SourceForge. Though you could always argue that this is voluntarily.

      My personal believe is that the DNS should ways be set to no-www as the A record, and the www as a CNAME. This makes the site more accessible from all possible ways. And not excluding any.

      This is not an discussion whether you choose one over the other, but include both. Which I think is a fairly simple task.

      Lets just hope the people with the power gain their senses and fix this :)

      Once again, thank you Ben!

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
        Excerpts from Birger J. Nordølum's message of Mon Mar 05 12:24:49 +0100 2012:
        > We now live in the year 2012 and the web is more important than ever.
        Firefox => redirects to www.
        chrome => redirects to www.
        opera => failure
        ie => bing search 1/ second hit www.vim.org
        midori (webkit) => failure
        safari (windows) => redirects to www.

        Thus the damage may not be as big as you see it.

        According to http://www.df.eu/blog/2012/02/16/browserstatistik-betriebssystemstatistik-25/
        2012/1 Opera: 2%
        2012/1 Safari: 14,4%

        Thus I expect only those to have trouble which belong to those 2% *and*
        forget to type www. (rough estimation)

        I agree that things should "just work" so I'd vote for "fixing" it - but
        given that it may just work for a lot of users ..

        Additionally those who are interested will try a second attempt which is
        "google" and then they'll succeed.

        Marc Weber

      • François Ingelrest
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
          On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:24, Birger J. Nordølum wrote:
          > I can only once again petition that the DNS part of the Vim project get
          > fixed, as this is to considered as being a flawed configuration, and can't
          > be acknowledged as a "good" design decision.

          I personally don't care whether vim.org works without the www prefix
          or not, but I'd vote to "fix" it just to stop the recurring requests
          for making it work. And I must say I can't see any reason to prevent
          vim.org from working without the www prefix, while I can easily find
          some to make it work.

        • Thilo Six
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
            Hello,

            Excerpt from François Ingelrest:

            -- <snip> --
            > I personally don't care whether vim.org works without the www prefix
            > or not, but I'd vote to "fix" it just to stop the recurring requests
            > for making it work. And I must say I can't see any reason to prevent
            > vim.org from working without the www prefix, while I can easily find
            > some to make it work.

            I would second that. Maybe one reason for leaving the prefix out for me is, it
            would be more in vims fashion. E.g. one can use 'set ea' instead of
            'set equalalways' as long as it is uniq but apart from that i do not care really.

            PS. can i haz tabcompletition in the urlbar plz? scnr
            Thilo

            4096R/0xC70B1A8F

          • MacDonald, Stuart
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6, 2012
              From: vim_dev@... [mailto:vim_dev@...] On
              > opera => failure
              [snip]
              > 2012/1 Opera: 2%
              >
              > Thus I expect only those to have trouble which belong to those 2% *and*
              > forget to type www. (rough estimation)

              Hi there. You're talking about me. And yeah, it's annoying when I hit
              the issue. Always meant to complain, never got around to it.

              > I agree that things should "just work" so I'd vote for "fixing" it - but
              > given that it may just work for a lot of users ..

              Had I the authority, I could have fixed this problem in the time it
              took to type this reply.

              If TPTB want to bestow the authority on me, I will fix it.

              ...Stu