RE: Google summer of code mentor

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2012
      John Beckett wrote:

      > Bram wrote:
      > > 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
      > > use NFA.
      > > 2. Fix bugs and review patches
      > > 3. Fix bugs and review patches
      > >
      > > 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
      > > (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
      > >
      > > To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
      > > who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
      > > volunteers?
      >
      > I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
      > only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
      > use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
      > regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
      > question to put to others if help were needed.

      I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
      can do that. Can you create a profile at
      http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?

      Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.

      --
      There are three kinds of persons: Those who can count and those who can't.

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
        On 4/03/12 11:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > John Beckett wrote:
        >
        >> Bram wrote:
        >>> 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
        >>> use NFA.
        >>> 2. Fix bugs and review patches
        >>> 3. Fix bugs and review patches
        >>>
        >>> 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
        >>> (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
        >>>
        >>> To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
        >>> who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
        >>> volunteers?
        >>
        >> I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
        >> only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
        >> use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
        >> regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
        >> question to put to others if help were needed.
        >
        > I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
        > can do that. Can you create a profile at
        > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?
        >
        > Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.

        I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
        but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
        to help out.

        Ben.

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
          Ben Schmidt wrote:
          >> I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying.
          >
          > I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet
          > recently, but if direct questions or a direct task were in
          > front of me I'd be able to help out.

          Thanks Ben. If Bram is not around and I have some problem put to
          me where I don't feel confident providing an answer, I will
          email you directly, or possibly the mailing list if it's a more
          general issue.

          John

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
            Ben Schmidt wrote:

            > On 4/03/12 11:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >
            > > John Beckett wrote:

            > >> I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
            > >> only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
            > >> use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
            > >> regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
            > >> question to put to others if help were needed.
            > >
            > > I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
            > > can do that. Can you create a profile at
            > > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?
            > >
            > > Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.
            >
            > I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
            > but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
            > to help out.

            Thanks for the offer. John volunteered to be the backup administrator.
            Perhaps you can help mentoring students? This involves having a
            critical look at their work, give hints if they get stuck, try out if
            their fix really works, and advice me if a patch is ready to be included.

            I especially try to limit the amount of time I need to spend on it
            myself. If this works out well we could take on more students next
            year.

            148. You find it easier to dial-up the National Weather Service
            Weather/your_town/now.html than to simply look out the window.

          • Ben Schmidt
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
              >> I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
              >> but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
              >> to help out.
              >
              > Thanks for the offer. John volunteered to be the backup administrator.
              > Perhaps you can help mentoring students? This involves having a
              > critical look at their work, give hints if they get stuck, try out if
              > their fix really works, and advice me if a patch is ready to be included.
              >
              > I especially try to limit the amount of time I need to spend on it
              > myself. If this works out well we could take on more students next
              > year.

              That doesn't sound too onerous. I should be able to manage it, at least
              a small amount.

              Cheers,

              Ben.