RE: Google summer of code mentor

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
      Bram wrote:
      > 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
      > use NFA.
      > 2. Fix bugs and review patches
      > 3. Fix bugs and review patches
      >
      > 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
      > (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
      >
      > To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
      > who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
      > volunteers?

      I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
      only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
      use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
      regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
      question to put to others if help were needed.

      John

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2012
        John Beckett wrote:

        > Bram wrote:
        > > 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
        > > use NFA.
        > > 2. Fix bugs and review patches
        > > 3. Fix bugs and review patches
        > >
        > > 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
        > > (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
        > >
        > > To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
        > > who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
        > > volunteers?
        >
        > I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
        > only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
        > use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
        > regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
        > question to put to others if help were needed.

        I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
        can do that. Can you create a profile at
        http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?

        Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.

        --
        There are three kinds of persons: Those who can count and those who can't.

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
          On 4/03/12 11:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > John Beckett wrote:
          >
          >> Bram wrote:
          >>> 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
          >>> use NFA.
          >>> 2. Fix bugs and review patches
          >>> 3. Fix bugs and review patches
          >>>
          >>> 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
          >>> (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
          >>>
          >>> To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
          >>> who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
          >>> volunteers?
          >>
          >> I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
          >> only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
          >> use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
          >> regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
          >> question to put to others if help were needed.
          >
          > I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
          > can do that. Can you create a profile at
          > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?
          >
          > Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.

          I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
          but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
          to help out.

          Ben.

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
            Ben Schmidt wrote:
            >> I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying.
            >
            > I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet
            > recently, but if direct questions or a direct task were in
            > front of me I'd be able to help out.

            Thanks Ben. If Bram is not around and I have some problem put to
            me where I don't feel confident providing an answer, I will
            email you directly, or possibly the mailing list if it's a more
            general issue.

            John

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
              Ben Schmidt wrote:

              > On 4/03/12 11:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > >
              > > John Beckett wrote:

              > >> I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
              > >> only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
              > >> use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
              > >> regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
              > >> question to put to others if help were needed.
              > >
              > > I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
              > > can do that. Can you create a profile at
              > > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?
              > >
              > > Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.
              >
              > I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
              > but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
              > to help out.

              Thanks for the offer. John volunteered to be the backup administrator.
              Perhaps you can help mentoring students? This involves having a
              critical look at their work, give hints if they get stuck, try out if
              their fix really works, and advice me if a patch is ready to be included.

              I especially try to limit the amount of time I need to spend on it
              myself. If this works out well we could take on more students next
              year.

              148. You find it easier to dial-up the National Weather Service
              Weather/your_town/now.html than to simply look out the window.

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
                >> I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
                >> but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
                >> to help out.
                >
                > Thanks for the offer. John volunteered to be the backup administrator.
                > Perhaps you can help mentoring students? This involves having a
                > critical look at their work, give hints if they get stuck, try out if
                > their fix really works, and advice me if a patch is ready to be included.
                >
                > I especially try to limit the amount of time I need to spend on it
                > myself. If this works out well we could take on more students next
                > year.

                That doesn't sound too onerous. I should be able to manage it, at least
                a small amount.

                Cheers,

                Ben.