Google summer of code mentor

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
      I'm considering applying for the Google summer of code again.
      I have a few projects in mind:

      1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally use NFA.
      2. Fix bugs and review patches
      3. Fix bugs and review patches

      2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor (me) does
      not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.

      To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone who can take
      care of the SoC when I am not available. Any volunteers?

      --
      All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
        Bram wrote:
        > 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
        > use NFA.
        > 2. Fix bugs and review patches
        > 3. Fix bugs and review patches
        >
        > 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
        > (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
        >
        > To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
        > who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
        > volunteers?

        I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
        only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
        use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
        regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
        question to put to others if help were needed.

        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2012
          John Beckett wrote:

          > Bram wrote:
          > > 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
          > > use NFA.
          > > 2. Fix bugs and review patches
          > > 3. Fix bugs and review patches
          > >
          > > 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
          > > (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
          > >
          > > To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
          > > who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
          > > volunteers?
          >
          > I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
          > only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
          > use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
          > regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
          > question to put to others if help were needed.

          I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
          can do that. Can you create a profile at
          http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?

          Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.

          --
          There are three kinds of persons: Those who can count and those who can't.

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
            On 4/03/12 11:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > John Beckett wrote:
            >
            >> Bram wrote:
            >>> 1. Write tests for the regexp engine, so that we can finally
            >>> use NFA.
            >>> 2. Fix bugs and review patches
            >>> 3. Fix bugs and review patches
            >>>
            >>> 2. and 3. should be able to work together, so that the mentor
            >>> (me) does not have to spend too much time on reviewing patches.
            >>>
            >>> To be able to apply I need a backup admin. That is someone
            >>> who can take care of the SoC when I am not available. Any
            >>> volunteers?
            >>
            >> I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
            >> only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
            >> use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
            >> regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
            >> question to put to others if help were needed.
            >
            > I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
            > can do that. Can you create a profile at
            > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?
            >
            > Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.

            I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
            but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
            to help out.

            Ben.

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
              Ben Schmidt wrote:
              >> I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying.
              >
              > I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet
              > recently, but if direct questions or a direct task were in
              > front of me I'd be able to help out.

              Thanks Ben. If Bram is not around and I have some problem put to
              me where I don't feel confident providing an answer, I will
              email you directly, or possibly the mailing list if it's a more
              general issue.

              John

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
                Ben Schmidt wrote:

                > On 4/03/12 11:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > >
                > > John Beckett wrote:

                > >> I would not be much use with tricky technical issues as I have
                > >> only scratched the surface of the source. However, if it's any
                > >> use I could handle generic issues, or could prod a SoC person
                > >> regarding progress, or guide them to formulate a specific
                > >> question to put to others if help were needed.
                > >
                > > I need a backup administrator, it's mandatory for applying. I guess you
                > > can do that. Can you create a profile at
                > > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 ?
                > >
                > > Note that I intend to keep this SoC small scale. Pehaps three students.
                >
                > I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
                > but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
                > to help out.

                Thanks for the offer. John volunteered to be the backup administrator.
                Perhaps you can help mentoring students? This involves having a
                critical look at their work, give hints if they get stuck, try out if
                their fix really works, and advice me if a patch is ready to be included.

                I especially try to limit the amount of time I need to spend on it
                myself. If this works out well we could take on more students next
                year.

                148. You find it easier to dial-up the National Weather Service
                Weather/your_town/now.html than to simply look out the window.

              • Ben Schmidt
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
                  >> I can act as a backup if necessary, too. I've been a bit quiet recently,
                  >> but if direct questions or a direct task were in front of me I'd be able
                  >> to help out.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the offer. John volunteered to be the backup administrator.
                  > Perhaps you can help mentoring students? This involves having a
                  > critical look at their work, give hints if they get stuck, try out if
                  > their fix really works, and advice me if a patch is ready to be included.
                  >
                  > I especially try to limit the amount of time I need to spend on it
                  > myself. If this works out well we could take on more students next
                  > year.

                  That doesn't sound too onerous. I should be able to manage it, at least
                  a small amount.

                  Cheers,

                  Ben.