Re: Display characters and text differently

  • Christian J. Robinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2012
      On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Wallace Babb wrote:

      > (not sure if this should be in Vim_use instead, but anyway)

      It might be a good idea to post this there, as well.

      > say I want the form feed (^L) character to be displayed as a row of
      > dashes (-----).
      [...]
      > Is this possible (without modifying the actual VIM source)?

      As far as I know it is not possible to do exactly what you want
      without modifying the source, but if you're willing to visually
      replace it with a *single* character, you could use the conceal syntax
      feature. For example:

      :syntax match FormFeed "^L" conceal cchar=-
      :set conceallevel=1

      In the above example, ^L is a literal control-l inserted by typing
      control-v then control-l.

      - Christian

      --
      As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.
      Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> http://christianrobinson.name/

    • Wallace Babb
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2012
        The concealment feature looks good, like a good place for me to start,
        even though I'm sure it won't suffice.
        I think I'll poke around the source, see if adding this is a realistic
        possibility.

        Thanks for the input.