Re: Vim 2012 calendar available

  • Fan Decheng
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2012
      On Jan 5, 10:19 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
      > Olaf wrote:
      > > On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
      > > > So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
      > > > of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)
      >
      > > My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
      > > is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
      > > country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
      > > I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.
      >
      > > Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
      > > because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
      > > a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
      > > of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
      > > course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)
      >
      > Wikipedia sums it up quite nicely:
      >
      >    Holland is a name in common usage given to a region in the western
      >    part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used as
      >    a pars pro toto to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage
      >    is generally accepted but disliked by many Dutch people in the other
      >    parts of the Netherlands.
      >
      > It's funny that many people who live in the Netherlands would not deny
      > being a Hollander, even if they do not live in North- or South-Holland.
      > And especially during a soccer match against Germany :-).
      >
      > --
      >    Arthur pulls Pin out.  The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
      > ARTHUR:  (quietly) One, two, five ...
      > GALAHAD: Three, sir!
      > ARTHUR:  Three.
      >                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD
      >
      >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@... --http://www.Moolenaar.net  \\\
      > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features --http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/\\\
      > \\\  an exciting new programming language --http://www.Zimbu.org       ///
      >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims --http://ICCF-Holland.org   ///

      Interesting, now I came to know why English text books often call The
      Netherlands but rarely Holland.

      Looks like Holland is the upper-left corner of the map of The
      Netherlands, making me recall the Puget Sound (pronounced like pyudjet
      sound) and King County in the US, which was on the upper-left of US.
      Well that was the place of my first visiting abroad and I wondered do
      they call a lake connected to the sea a "Sound"?

      :)

      WBR,
      Robbie (Decheng) Fan