Re: Vim 2012 calendar available

  • Niels Horn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
      On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
      > On 06:45 Wed 04 Jan     , tux. wrote:
      >> Bram Moolenaar schrob am 03.01.2012 22:57:
      >> > Only officially. Holland sounds a lot nicer.
      >>
      >> Most Dutch people I know call themself "from the Netherlands" instead of
      >> "from Holland", because it sounds nicer to THEM. :-)
      >>
      >> --
      >> You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
      >
      > In Polish, if this is of any interest, we say 'Holandia' for The Netherlands.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Marcin

      Here in Brazil everybody calls my country of origin "Holanda".
      If I say "Paises Baixos" (~ Netherlands) most people just look confused...

      So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
      of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)

      --
      Niels Horn

    • Rhialto
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
        On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
        > So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
        > of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)

        My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
        is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
        country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
        I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.

        Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
        because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
        a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
        of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
        course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)

        -Olaf.
        --
        ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- There's no point being grown-up if you
        \X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor

      • Niels Horn
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
          On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Rhialto <rhialto@...> wrote:
          > On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
          >> So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
          >> of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)
          >
          > My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
          > is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
          > country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
          > I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.
          >
          > Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
          > because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
          > a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
          > of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
          > course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)
          >
          > -Olaf.
          > --
          > ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- There's no point being grown-up if you
          > \X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor

          Being Dutch myself, I know all that, but even the Dutch sing "Hup,
          Holland, Hup" and never "Hup, Nederland, Hup" when watching a football
          match...
          I sort of gave up on explaining the difference between the two years ago. :)

          --
          Niels Horn

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
            Olaf wrote:

            > On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
            > > So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
            > > of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)
            >
            > My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
            > is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
            > country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
            > I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.
            >
            > Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
            > because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
            > a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
            > of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
            > course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)

            Wikipedia sums it up quite nicely:

            Holland is a name in common usage given to a region in the western
            part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used as
            a pars pro toto to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage
            is generally accepted but disliked by many Dutch people in the other
            parts of the Netherlands.

            It's funny that many people who live in the Netherlands would not deny
            being a Hollander, even if they do not live in North- or South-Holland.
            And especially during a soccer match against Germany :-).

            --
            Arthur pulls Pin out. The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
            ARTHUR: (quietly) One, two, five ...

          • Fan Decheng
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2012
              On Jan 5, 10:19 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
              > Olaf wrote:
              > > On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
              > > > So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
              > > > of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)
              >
              > > My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
              > > is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
              > > country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
              > > I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.
              >
              > > Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
              > > because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
              > > a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
              > > of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
              > > course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)
              >
              > Wikipedia sums it up quite nicely:
              >
              >    Holland is a name in common usage given to a region in the western
              >    part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used as
              >    a pars pro toto to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage
              >    is generally accepted but disliked by many Dutch people in the other
              >    parts of the Netherlands.
              >
              > It's funny that many people who live in the Netherlands would not deny
              > being a Hollander, even if they do not live in North- or South-Holland.
              > And especially during a soccer match against Germany :-).
              >
              > --
              >    Arthur pulls Pin out.  The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
              > ARTHUR:  (quietly) One, two, five ...
              > GALAHAD: Three, sir!
              > ARTHUR:  Three.
              >                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD
              >
              >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@... --http://www.Moolenaar.net  \\\
              > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features --http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/\\\
              > \\\  an exciting new programming language --http://www.Zimbu.org       ///
              >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims --http://ICCF-Holland.org   ///

              Interesting, now I came to know why English text books often call The
              Netherlands but rarely Holland.

              Looks like Holland is the upper-left corner of the map of The
              Netherlands, making me recall the Puget Sound (pronounced like pyudjet
              sound) and King County in the US, which was on the upper-left of US.
              Well that was the place of my first visiting abroad and I wondered do
              they call a lake connected to the sea a "Sound"?

              :)

              WBR,
              Robbie (Decheng) Fan