RE: z/OS Unix Fixes And Binaries for vim 7.3

  • Bovy, Stephen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
      I have been working on building z/OS Binaries

      I have discovered a few bugs in the source tree for vim7.3 which I have attempted to
      Communicate and discuss on this list

      I have published my (fixes) in a verbal fashion on this list

      >> How can I make sure those fixes get merged into the source tree ??

      I would also like to donate my efforts (binaries) as a package to be available for others

      >> How are unix binaries packaged and distributed ??

      Is there a mechanism for creating and donating a binary installation package for a unix platform

      z/OS is somewhat unique because there is no deb or rpm Ect. Ect. On z/OS

      On z/OS we have pax and tar that's about it , and we also have problems with man pages

      Because nroff troff groff are not part of the unix standard thus ibm has refused to recognize a need to
      Port and support

      Now (sorry) I have to make a small rant here :)

      When developers use (tools) that are not standard ( is it not incumbent upon the developer ) to include that
      (tool) in the install package ??

      On windows that has always been the way things are done

      Developers should not (as - su -me) that a nonstandard tool will always exist on the target installation platform !!!

      Hey this is a nit-pick-rank so please forgive me for expressing my frustrated opinion

      On the other hand IBM is being obnoxiously hypocritical and dis-ingenious by claiming 100% unix compatibility and Unix Label by adhering
      minimalistically to a simplistically insufficient and legalistically defined "standard"

    • Taylor Hedberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
        Bovy, Stephen, Tue 2012-01-03 @ 15:12:27+0000:
        > I have published my (fixes) in a verbal fashion on this list
        >
        > >> How can I make sure those fixes get merged into the source tree ??

        I don't recall the exact format of your contributions, but your best bet
        would be to submit actual patches against the Vim source tree that Bram
        could review and apply. If you have only described your changes
        verbally, then the real work remains to be done. :)

        > I would also like to donate my efforts (binaries) as a package to be
        > available for others
        >
        > >> How are unix binaries packaged and distributed ??
        >
        > Is there a mechanism for creating and donating a binary installation
        > package for a unix platform

        Most non-Macintosh Unix software is provided as source code. Users who
        expect binary packages typically obtain them in an operating
        system-specific manner from the maintainers of their OS, who themselves
        compile them from the upstream sources.

        I can't see how it would really cause any problems for pre-compiled Vim
        binaries to be provided for z/OS, but most people just don't expect that
        means of distribution when it comes to Unix, so I doubt that there's any
        procedure in place for doing that already, at least with Vim.

        > Because nroff troff groff are not part of the unix standard thus
        > ibm has refused to recognize a need to Port and support
        >
        > Now (sorry) I have to make a small rant here :)
        >
        > When developers use (tools) that are not standard ( is it not
        > incumbent upon the developer ) to include that (tool) in the install
        > package ??
        >
        > On windows that has always been the way things are done
        >
        > Developers should not (as - su -me) that a nonstandard tool will
        > always exist on the target installation platform !!!

        I don't think so. troff may not be specified by POSIX, but it and its
        variants are nonetheless ubiquitous on Unix systems, to the point that
        it's not unreasonable, in my opinion, to assume that the user has access
        to such a utility.

        z/OS is obviously an exception to this, but I'd personally characterize
        this purely as a problem with IBM's rather backwards interpretation of
        Unix rather than as a problem with Vim. After all, virtually any
        non-trivial software has external dependencies. Gvim on Unix depends on
        X11, for instance, which is not POSIX-standard either, but I doubt
        anyone would argue that Bram needs to start bundling X.org server with
        Vim. This goes doubly for non-essential and purely build-time
        dependencies like troff for formatting man pages.

        Is there a reason why you can't just install groff[1] on your system?

        [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/groff/
      • Bovy, Stephen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
          Thanks for the response

          I agree about IBM ( I was just posing the question to gain some insight ) thanks for the response

          I will try to create some diffs and then post those

          I think I also found some problems with the configure script for creating a motif-gvim
          Which enabled xpm ( by mistake ) and also enabled XM-Notebook by mistake

          Neither of the above exist on z/OS ( I had to manually disable them to get gvim to build successfully ) :)